2019 Planning and budgets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2019 Planning and budgets

How many of you plan ahead and attempt to build a budget before each race season.

Location of race, entry fee, nutrition, fuel costs, time off work, ETC,

This was my first year trying to maximize time and money, think my wife will most certainly kill me if she ever figures out what I spend on racing.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2018
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sounds like a great idea. I don't think I'd like the results. Lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I definitely do this for budgeting vacation days at work and time off with the wife to go race. I know I only have so many personal days with my employer and the spouse (I get far more from my employer, lol), so they have to be built into my yearly training plan.

mtbr member
    My big reasoning for doing it for 2019 is I have a full XC season planned in the spring then 2 weeks down time and roll into 24hr endurance races. Between days spent driving, racing, associated costs and training all jumbled together. I had to do something to add order to the Chaos, lol.

Adding up up was quite a shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I did Cape Epic 2016, Bike Transalp 2017, Breck Epic 2018, Next year will do Brasil Ride...to me, registration starts about 12 months back, flights 10 months back, specific training 6 months back, clothing/parts/nutrition about 2 months prior

I should be out riding
    No budget, but i'm thrifty so that helps keep $ under control. Timewise, I put vacation on my work calendar as soon as I even think I might take it. Keeps meetings and such from getting scheduled on tip of it. And I map out how much I'm taking vs my Vac allowance and the amount I need to use to avoid forfeiting what can't carry over. I try to get a balance of good events I've done before and trying some new ones.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I do but only loosely. This time of year I'm getting my grocery list together (chains, rings, cassettes, rotors, kits....) to run by the CFO. I've also been briefing her on "destination" races (True Grit, Telluride 100, Carson City, Oz...) but we have a sprinter so can save a fair amount on travel/accommodations. For the most part my season is planned around one or two of the destination races and I'll throw in some local races or things I haven't done (Zia rides series in NM is great if you can swing them). Getting a little off topic but all that shit goes in a spreadsheet with Reg fees, estimated peripheral expenses... ...etc. I've never compared budget to actuals though so it's really only for show.

In addition to expenses, this spreadsheet also gives coach and I ideas around peaking, trying to do too much, so on and so forth. Here's a crummy screen shot

2019 Planning and budgets-2019.png

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    .... but we have a sprinter so can save a fair amount....
    Hah! Not judging, because I have a Transit camper conversion too... but I ran the numbers and it clearly didn't pencil out over camping, hotels, or the pop up trailer it replaced. It does pay off in convenience, comfort and enjoyment.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    Hah! Not judging, because I have a Transit camper conversion too... but I ran the numbers and it clearly didn't pencil out over camping, hotels, or the pop up trailer it replaced. It does pay off in convenience, comfort and enjoyment.
    lol, for $ure. But I consider don't consider or allocate the cost since it's not exclusive to my hobbies.

related, I'm likely to get a transit in about 3 yrs and sell this while it still has some value.

mtbr member
    I mainly Start building the dates as soon as they are all released for time off of work. Out of town races I take the Friday off of the race weekend. So next month I'll put in my time of requests for next years races which lead from Jan to may and September till dec.

I need to actually sit down and go through gas, food race fee's etc and try to get it saved up. with 2 people racing it gets up there
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    The local races add up, but when you start tossing 24 hour endurance races in the mix the numbers climb FAST!

livin' the dream......
    For 2019, committed to:

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo - 4 man SS team

Considering:
    A few local races in our AZ state series, ether as Intermediate, or Plus bike category (2.8" or bigger tires, might be fun)

Cactus Cup - 3 day 'stage race' (short track, 40M xc and enduro)
    Enchanted Forest - Zia Rides event, 12 hour solo
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    I only budget time not dollars. I don't have a wife so I have nobody to answer spending wise for. That does not mean I don't consider costs. However my most costly race was 2017 24hrs Old Pueblo. So cold and sick of being cold in a tent I bought a small pop up trailer a few months later. Damn that was an expensive race.

For 2019
    - MBAA (Local sprint race series) as I can. Did all 6 last year we will see about 2019
    - Breck Epic - Did it last year and decided to do it again in. Probably won't in 2020 due to cost, But probalby will in 2024 when I am 50. It will be my 50 year Birthday present to myself
    - 24 hrs Enchanted Forest. Not sure on class yet. I did the last 2 years in 4 man team. Thinking maybe 24hr solo? Not sure yet.

Nothing definite beyond that. Most of my schedule is dictate by my weekends with my Daughter. When I have her for the weekend I don't race or ride, but when I don't have her I can do whatever.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    However my most costly race was 2017 24hrs Old Pueblo. So cold and sick of being cold in a tent I bought a small pop up trailer a few months later. Damn that was an expensive race.
    Ha!!! I was there I think the Tuesday week of. Holy crap was that miserable until race day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Ha!!! I was there I think the Tuesday week of. Holy crap was that miserable until race day.
    2018 was miserable till race day and my trailer was worth every penny.

2017 was great UNTIL race day when all hell broke loose.

2016 was just warm and dusty
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    see, this is what happens when you get to be 50+ Joe (as you point out, 2017 was not this year)

mtbr member
    Just looking at numbers again this morning in an attempt to trim drive time (save 670 miles of driving) money wise the money that is being saved on gas is spent on food, lol. I have 2 24hr endurance races a week apart, looks like I might leave one and drive to the next instead of going home and just working from my computer each day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    I have 2 24hr endurance races a week apart
    Holy recovery periods Batman. Thats gonna be tough surely?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    I have 2 24hr endurance races a week apart...
    So do I! *highfive*

Just kidding. The first one is a 36h race. The 24h race on the following weekend will be a recovery ride. March madness!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    Holy recovery periods Batman. Thats gonna be tough surely?
    Yes, I plan on active recovery the day after the 1st race, yoga and protien/carbs, and easy base mileage, nothing crazy..