2019 Goal: Finish a 100 Mile Race- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2019 Goal: Finish a 100 Mile Race

I want to finish my first 100 mile event next season. I live in Southern California. Which event should I do? Ideally it would be before July 2019.

mtbr member
    High Cascades in Bend is in July. Its a super fun 100. Not too techy, just a fun 100.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08 View Post
    I want to finish my first 100 mile event next season. I live in Southern California. Which event should I do? Ideally it would be before July 2019.
    Honestly You can do any 12 hour race and get 100 miles.
    I did Dawn to Dusk here in AZ. Did 100 miles on my SS in the solo SS open class. Super fun.

Barn Burner in AZ has a 100 mile category it's also a Leadville Qualifying Series
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Do you want a big loop or laps? Lap races are both easier and harder. Easier becuase you come back to base camp for resupply. Harder since it so easy to bail out early. Big loops often mean when you feel like crap you have two choice. Call for help or just tough it out and ride to the finish. My first 100 mile mtn bike ride was like that. Big giant 100 mile loop and I was following a GPS track. I had seen the sun rise and then set and I was still out there. And it was cold as fark for an Arizona guy (35 deg). If I could have taken the easy way out I might have. But since I was still far from the where my car was I had not "easy' way out. I still had to ride. So I just follow my GPS track because I knew if I did I would get back to the car. Any deviation meant I might get lost. So I toughed it out to the end.

So there is that.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer View Post
    High Cascades in Bend is in July. Its a super fun 100. Not too techy, just a fun 100.
    A great choice. Not too high [altitude] and not too climb heavy. Great promoter/organizer.
    My Favorite Peeps:

SS Pusher Man
    Why does it need to be a race?

I have done a handful of 100 mile Mtn rides just rolling from the house. Yes, it did require a little bit of road miles....but was able to link up several areas. I was able to dinitbon my schedule on a day I picked. I am down in OC.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Why does it need to be a race?
    Because it's the OP's stated goal?
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Honestly You can do any 12 hour race and get 100 miles.
    I did Dawn to Dusk here in AZ. Did 100 miles on my SS in the solo SS open class. Super fun.
    Yep, if you are doing your first 100 do a 12 hour and do laps, so if you F anything up, you are never more than an hour from whatever you may need to get you back on track.
    The Dawn to Dusk is coming up fast, but is lightening fast, so is a great option (especially since you can drive). The Socal Endurance Series races in Temecula would be a great choice too.
    Someone suggested the HC100 and others will throw out their favorite race, and understandably so. It is a fantastic race. But I'm not a fan of 'destination races' for your first major event. Why add other crazy variables, particularly needing to fly with your bike and pack everything you need? Keep it simple for the first few 100s. Endurance racing is all about minimizing variables.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash View Post
    Yep, if you are doing your first 100 do a 12 hour and do laps, so if you F anything up, you are never more than an hour from whatever you may need to get you back on track.
    The Dawn to Dusk is coming up fast, but is lightening fast, so is a great option (especially since you can drive). The Socal Endurance Series races in Temecula would be a great choice too.
    Someone suggested the HC100 and others will throw out their favorite race, and understandably so. It is a fantastic race. But I'm not a fan of 'destination races' for your first major event. Why add other crazy variables, particularly needing to fly with your bike and pack everything you need? Keep it simple for the first few 100s. Endurance racing is all about minimizing variables.
    A TON of great advice here.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Grizzly 100km in big bear this saturday so it's about 61 miles. Could be a good practice race for you.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Grizzly 100km in big bear this saturday so it's about 61 miles. Could be a good practice race for you.
    More good advice. Local and a shorter distance to build toward/learn the subtleties of fit/fueling/equipment choice for a 100 mile distance.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    a great choice. Not too high [altitude] and not too climb heavy. great promoter/organizer.
    10k.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    10k.
    Cascade Creampuff 18k
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Cascade Creampuff 18k
    Mt Everest 29k. Just because there is a race out there with an obscene amount of climbing doesn't mean 10k is not a lot of climbing, especially to a first time 100 miler.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nowhere close to So Cal, but consider the Lumberjack 100 in Michigan.

Fast. Winning time this year was 6:41.

Less than 10k climbing.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    We have one race in the winter that is 100 miles with aid-stations about every 20 miles, although the temp was somewhere near -10 for much of the race, I found it to be one of the easier endurance races due to the well-stocked aid stations. Now, if we had just not taken a wrong turn at night and tacked on an extra 20 miles, it would have been even better, but it was still fun either way.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that if you want to do 100 miler don't do a 12hr with laps. Enter a 100 and do the damn thing. I think that laps are not good mentally for a new endurance rider, as you pass that stopping point way too frequently. If the weather gets bad or your body feels bad there is a higher chance that you'll pull out. If you actually have to ride the 100 you will have higher odds of finding some grit and finishing the damn thing. So... if you wan to ride a hundred... do a hundred!

Coming from someone who just did his first 100 ever this month (never even done a century on pavement). Conditions were sloppy, but I had a blast and beat my goal time... even though the conditions were the worst that the event (SM100) has had in awhile. Honestly the best day of racing I've ever had.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Mt Everest 29k. Just because there is a race out there with an obscene amount of climbing doesn't mean 10k is not a lot of climbing, especially to a first time 100 miler.
    Mt Everest Challenge is a two day road ride. That's a different gig.

My point was/is; unless you're doing something off the west coast, it's tough to find a hundred miler with much less than 10k of climbing. If you know of one, by all means suggest it to the OP.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    The volcanic grade at HC 100 makes the climbing seem better than it is. No super steep stuff, consistent yes, but steep no. Having done a ton of endurance racing, he should do some localish 50mile, 8 hour etc to prepare, but doing a 100 can be a destination race. Just prepare for it with local stuff, so that if there is a learning curve, equipment issues etc. its not on the big day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    This is why I like the metric system. I've ticked doing a century off my list and it was a lot easier than 100 miles.

Seriously though, I agree with not doing laps. They get boring and the mental aspect sucks when you're faced with doing the same climb/s over and over again.

Are any races over there in a figure 8 format (ie, back through the start and onto another different lap)? That might be a good option.

Good luck!

Barn Burner in Flagstaff is probably one of the easier 100's if the altitude doesn't kill you.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. Some good things to think about in here.

I should have said at the top that Iíve done several (seven?) 6 and 8 hour lap races. Iíve actually never done an endurance event that wasnít comprised of 45 min to 1 hour loops. I think that change in format could be really fun, but it does present some challenges in terms of nutrition and hydration, as well as mental toughness.

Iím making a list of the suggested events and Iíll keep doing some reading and research.