2019 Cohutta and Big Frog pricing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2019 Cohutta and Big Frog pricing

Is it me or is the pricing of these races getting a little out of control? $155 for the 100 mile Cohutta course, $119 for the Big Frog 65 and...wait for it....the Old Copper 30 is $104.

Those are all discounted, early registration rates also.

Sure, a custom pair of gloves from Handup and a t-shirt are decent swag items but it still seems a little steep.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My bikes are faster than me.

mtbr member
    Prices go up but attendance and payouts are down at some of the races.

I think $80 is expensive for a marathon distance race but most of them are well over $100 now.

My guess is that with attendance down the promoters need to charge more to make it worth having.

mtbr member
    It's made worse by the fact that literally none of these promoters will give you your money back if something pops up. I signed up for a race real early last year, and of my best friends decided to get married with 3 months notice and asked me to be in it... Same weekend as a big race (naturally) so I emailed the promoter and explained the situation. This is 3 months out from the race and they told me sorry about my luck. $150 down the toilet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I can say with Mountain Goat Adventures taking over this year, Lisa always produces a great event. Having said that, I'm with you man. I think $155 is steep for Cohutta too. Regardless, I bit the bullet and registered anyways.

Cycologist
    I agree that a lot of events have gotten too expensive, I won't participate in them if they are. Last year, a friend entered the Rope Mill duathlon and wasn't prepared for the run leg and he contacted Lisa the day before the race and she allowed me to join him as a team. I'll stick with the lower priced events. Tbh, I'm better prepared for the smaller events anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Some of you need to contact a race promoter and volunteer to help at a event, I have seen both sides of it and from what I have seen they dont do it to get rich, they do it because they love the sport. I dont think 155 is expensive vs the time you get to race/ride and hang around spending good times with friends, 155 is NOTHING compaired to the memories you make along the way.

Dont lose sight of quality of life.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2018
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    Some of you need to contact a race promoter and volunteer to help at a event, I have seen both sides of it and from what I have seen they dont do it to get rich, they do it because they love the sport. I dont think 155 is expensive vs the time you get to race/ride and hang around spending good times with friends, 155 is NOTHING compaired to the memories you make along the way.

Dont lose sight of quality of life.
    I agree that the memories made can be invaluable but you canít make the memories when you canít afford the race.

I travel from Florida so Iím spending well over the race fee for the whole experience. Donít get me wrong, I like to do it when I can, but $155 is a lot to add on to the expenses just to get there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake2185 View Post
    I agree that the memories made can be invaluable but you canít make the memories when you canít afford the race.

I travel from Florida so Iím spending well over the race fee for the whole experience. Donít get me wrong, I like to do it when I can, but $155 is a lot to add on to the expenses just to get there.

I feel your pain brother, I have several races that will be over 17hr drives this year..
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2018
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was excited to try to step up my game from the 25/30 mile Old Copper race I did last year and spring for the Big Frog this year...... I pulled up the site as soon as they opened registration and closed out approximately 15 seconds later.... $120 for the Big Frog, and that's the early bird price?!?!? No thanks!! I totally understand that they need to make the event worth it for them, but I can't (no.. I won't) spend $120 on a single event when I only have so much allotted for bike events in the annual budget.. I love Mountain Goat Adventures, did their Duathlon in November and it was awesome. I DID sign up for the Duathlon again in 2019 and already signed up for their Blankets Creek Dirty 30 race. Those races have a reasonable entry fee, not $120..... I understand the business side of the events, but the customer side of that event is sadly not for me this year.

mtbr member
    Hmmm...
    1. Do you expect that we'll be able to register for Cohutta via BikeReg.com eventually (not currently available), or only through the MountainGoatAdventures.com site?
    2. Looks like doable with hardtail. I believe I'm going to go from 100/100mm FS bike to 100mm HT bike for Mohican this year. Sound reasonable for Cohutta too?
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMustang View Post
    Hmmm...
    1. Do you expect that we'll be able to register for Cohutta via BikeReg.com eventually (not currently available), or only through the MountainGoatAdventures.com site?
    2. Looks like doable with hardtail. I believe I'm going to go from 100/100mm FS bike to 100mm HT bike for Mohican this year. Sound reasonable for Cohutta too?
    1. I think itís all through MtnGoat but not sure.

2. Totally doable on a hardtail. Me and 3 friends all did it on a hardtail in 2015.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Anyone on here have any insight into the Big Frog 65? This will be my first race over 45 miles. Anything unique about the course, etc...

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsdad1979 View Post
    Anyone on here have any insight into the Big Frog 65? This will be my first race over 45 miles. Anything unique about the course, etc...

Mike
    https://strava.app.link/RWbPzXH1NT

This is my Strava from last year. The course has 7k of climbing in about 57 miles.

The course starts up a long road climb the front of the race is usually going pretty hard to the single track but pace yourself because there is a lot more climbing to come.

After you enter the single track enjoy it because after the first 15ish miles itís a lot of gravel (but itís so beautiful and scenic).

After AS 2? You will enter the Big Frog gravel loop. The loop brings you back to the same AS so plan on leaving a little extra in that drop bag.

Itís gravel all the way back to the single track where you cross 2 or 3 ridges on some rocky but fun single track which will eventually take you back to the whitewater center. Once you descend off the mountain you have a few miles of slightly uphill road back to the start/finish.
    Then itís beer time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395 View Post

This is my Strava from last year. The course has 7k of climbing in about 57 miles.

The course starts up a long road climb the front of the race is usually going pretty hard to the single track but pace yourself because there is a lot more climbing to come.

After you enter the single track enjoy it because after the first 15ish miles itís a lot of gravel (but itís so beautiful and scenic).

After AS 2? You will enter the Big Frog gravel loop. The loop brings you back to the same AS so plan on leaving a little extra in that drop bag.

Itís gravel all the way back to the single track where you cross 2 or 3 ridges on some rocky but fun single track which will eventually take you back to the whitewater center. Once you descend off the mountain you have a few miles of slightly uphill road back to the start/finish.
    Then itís beer time!

Thanks for the info. I donít have quite the horsepower as you so my pace will most likely be aimed for a 530-6 hour finish time. My plan is to enjoy it and see if this is something I want to pursue permanently year after year plus a few other NUE events. If I like it then I will increase my training to bring my times down.

Once again thanks for the info!

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsdad1979 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I donít have quite the horsepower as you so my pace will most likely be aimed for a 530-6 hour finish time. My plan is to enjoy it and see if this is something I want to pursue permanently year after year plus a few other NUE events. If I like it then I will increase my training to bring my times down.

Once again thanks for the info!

Mike
    Mike
    Donít pay attention to my time on the Strava link but use the elevation profile to help you train. For this race you will be doing sustained climbs 20-30 minutes long. As you train for this one work in some 30ish minute sweet spot efforts to get you ready

Enjoy the race itís a classic east coast endurance race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Mike
    Donít pay attention to my time on the Strava link but use the elevation profile to help you train. For this race you will be doing sustained climbs 20-30 minutes long. As you train for this one work in some 30ish minute sweet spot efforts to get you ready

Enjoy the race itís a classic east coast endurance race.

Glad to know what I am currently doing will help me. Currently up to 3x20 min around 90% and working in a 3-4 hour ride every other weekend. My goal is to be doing 5x20minís by the time he race rolls around. Thanks for the info again.

Mike

kk2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jake2185 View Post
    Is it me or is the pricing of these races getting a little out of control? $155 for the 100 mile Cohutta course, $119 for the Big Frog 65 and...wait for it....the Old Copper 30 is $104.

Those are all discounted, early registration rates also.

Sure, a custom pair of gloves from Handup and a t-shirt are decent swag items but it still seems a little steep.

Thoughts?

Try Lumberjack 100 it sold out in less than 2hrs for $150.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Then itís beer time!

Nice ride on that strava link ! I live here in the area, and ride those trails all the time. I was comparing some of our times, and you were kicking a$$ to be riding that mileage. Your times on brush, bear paw, riverview, t/rock are not far from mine when Im just doing a quick (10 mi) ride.. nice job !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Nice ride on that strava link ! I live here in the area, and ride those trails all the time. I was comparing some of our times, and you were kicking a$$ to be riding that mileage. Your times on brush, bear paw, riverview, t/rock are not far from mine when Im just doing a quick (10 mi) ride.. nice job !
    Thanks!!

Last year we had a super competitive field for the big frog. If I remember correctly I think the top 10 were separated by only a few minutes after 4 hours of racing

mtbr member
    According to the emails I have gotten from them, this year the BF course will have 90% of the single track at the beginning, followed by the 30 mile gravel section, with a bit of single track at the end to get you back to your car.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Really glad I came across this thread. I'm from Michigan and have done LJ100 a bunch of times, Marji Gesick (finished 50 in 2017, DNF'd 100 at mile 84 in 2018), and lots of riding in MI, at Mohican, etc.

I'm thinking of doing Big Frog 65, and was trying to decide between a Salsa El Mariachi Ti hard tail (fixed seapost) and a Specialized Camber full suspension with a dropper. While the Camber is my preferred trail bike, all my LJ100 finishes have been on the HT, and I'm comfortable riding it on a lot of technical stuff, including in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Marquette and Copper Harbor, specifically).

So, I'm thinking the El Mariachi HT would be good for Big Frog 65?

Also, what's typical tires for down there? I've got a 2.35" Racing Ralph Snakeskin on the front, and 2.25" Fast Trak GRID on the rear (both cut resistant). Any reason to change these up? It's my usual setup for everything from sandy trails to moderate rock.

It's a long drive from where I'm at, but with the winter we've had I'm itching for some since track, and have never ridden down that way before, so... why not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    Really glad I came across this thread. I'm from Michigan and have done LJ100 a bunch of times, Marji Gesick (finished 50 in 2017, DNF'd 100 at mile 84 in 2018), and lots of riding in MI, at Mohican, etc.

I'm thinking of doing Big Frog 65, and was trying to decide between a Salsa El Mariachi Ti hard tail (fixed seapost) and a Specialized Camber full suspension with a dropper. While the Camber is my preferred trail bike, all my LJ100 finishes have been on the HT, and I'm comfortable riding it on a lot of technical stuff, including in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Marquette and Copper Harbor, specifically).

So, I'm thinking the El Mariachi HT would be good for Big Frog 65?

Also, what's typical tires for down there? I've got a 2.35" Racing Ralph Snakeskin on the front, and 2.25" Fast Trak GRID on the rear (both cut resistant). Any reason to change these up? It's my usual setup for everything from sandy trails to moderate rock.

It's a long drive from where I'm at, but with the winter we've had I'm itching for some since track, and have never ridden down that way before, so... why not.
    Definitely the hardtail. While there is some good technical singletrack, the majority of the race is the gravel loop out to Big Frog and back. Maybe 25-30 miles is singletrack, but all is certainly fine for a HT. There is one downhill called ThunderRock which is kinda what you'll end on. This downhill is certainly better on a FS, but I wouldn't bring the Camber just for that.... If it helps, I live in Chattanooga (45mins away from t he race) and my two bikes are a Canyon Exceed 100mm carbon HT and a SC Tallboy 3. If I were doing this race, I would bring the Canyon..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    Definitely the hardtail. While there is some good technical singletrack, the majority of the race is the gravel loop out to Big Frog and back. Maybe 25-30 miles is singletrack, but all is certainly fine for a HT. There is one downhill called ThunderRock which is kinda what you'll end on. This downhill is certainly better on a FS, but I wouldn't bring the Camber just for that.... If it helps, I live in Chattanooga (45mins away from t he race) and my two bikes are a Canyon Exceed 100mm carbon HT and a SC Tallboy 3. If I were doing this race, I would bring the Canyon..
    Thank you! That's super helpful. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing this, just need to suss out lodging and how long to stay in the area for. I was thinking of heading to either Ellijay after or maybe somewhere in TN. And depending on if my GF can go (or not) I may also bring the Camber for riding other places.

Got any suggestions of where else to go? I'm thinking I'd want to maybe head down on Thursday, register/light ride on Friday, race on Saturday, then ride somewhere on Sunday/Monday and maybe drive back on Tuesday?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thank you! That's super helpful. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing this, just need to suss out lodging and how long to stay in the area for. I was thinking of heading to either Ellijay after or maybe somewhere in TN. And depending on if my GF can go (or not) I may also bring the Camber for riding other places.

Got any suggestions of where else to go? I'm thinking I'd want to maybe head down on Thursday, register/light ride on Friday, race on Saturday, then ride somewhere on Sunday/Monday and maybe drive back on Tuesday?
    The beauty of this area is there are plenty of awesome places all within a couple hours of Tanasi trail system where the race is. Ellijay is a fantastic place and there is Mulberry Gap MTB Getaway there that you can stay and ride some of the Pinhoti trails; HOWEVER, there's a good deal of climbing gravel involved in that unless you have Mulberry shuttle you somewhere. Me personally, I'd head into Chattanooga and maybe hit Raccoon Mountain. It is the overall gem of the area for views and mix of flow to gnarly all in the same place. You could find an Air BnB in downtown etc. and hit Raccoon with the Camber. If you stay two days, the 5 points and Moonshinse trail systems up on Lookout Mountain (edge of Chattanooga) would be my next choice to visit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Also, I re-read what I typed and want to clarify. By no means would I consider the singletrack of the Tanasi system flowy/smooth. It's mostly good ole fashion backcountry singletrack. The first part of the race is on the Brush Creek and Old Copper trail which IS nice and smooth, but once you hit the whitewater center and head up into the woods, they are certainly the types of trail where you would "prefer" your Camber. I just feel that bringing that bike solely for that portion would be a disservice to the rest of the race and the gravel portion.

Sorry, to me it sounded like I was dumbing down the singletrack, it's GOOD STUFF and and short/mid travel trail bike out there is the best tool, but a good HT would be my preferred choice for the other 70% of the race.

mtbr member
    Thank you for all this info, and no worries. I get what you mean. While I do prefer my Camber for rougher stuff, I get what you're saying. Hopefully I'll be able to bring both bikes down with me. I hope you don't mind, but I've got a few more questions:

Do you think it'd be reasonable to stay in Chattanooga for both the nights before the race and post-event riding? It looks like the recommended Ducktown Copper Inn is full, and I really don't want to camp.

I like the idea of going there because I've never been there, and it's close to I-75 which is where most of my driving will be happening. (I-75 is about 10 miles from my house here in MI.)

I'm kinda thinking of driving down on Thursday, hopefully get in an hour or two of riding that day, packet pickup and an hour or so Friday. Then race on Saturday. Then some bigger rides on both Sunday and Monday likely around Racoon Mountain and the other places you recommend. Does that seem unreasonable?

Should I plan on purchasing paper maps, or are sufficient things available printable online? How's cell service? (I'm accustomed to riding with iffy to no service in the Upper Peninsula.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Staying in the Chattanooga area is doable for all of the nights you'd be here, provided you are ok with getting up early the morning of the race. Maybe look into staying in one of the hotels in the Ooltewah area (exit 11 of I-75, just north of Chatt and just south of Cleveland, TN which is the direction of the race)? That location would put you within an hour of the race spot (Ocoee Whitewater Center) and only 30 minutes to Raccoon Mountain and 45 minutes to the 5points system on Lookout Mountain. If you wanted to be a tad closer to the race then look into Cleveland, TN (exits 20,25,27 of I-75). You'd move 10-15 minutes closer to the race, but that much further from your other days of riding (still pretty close IMO)...

Cell service is not a problem around here, except out at the Ocoee itself. Not that great out there, BUT apps like trailforks still work and are totally sufficient for navigation. There's also the White Oak Mountain trail system at Southern Adventist University that's in Ooltewah or Enterprise South Nature Park. They are also a great systems that would super duper close if you stay in Ooltewah/Cleveland area during those shorter Thursday/Friday rides..... We are blessed to have so much good riding in this area!!

mtbr member
    Thank you VERY much. It sounds like it's all much more accessible than I thought. (I'm used to some quite backwoods riding at times. Unmarked yet official stuff, etc.)

I ended up booking an AirBNB in Chattanooga for the whole time. It looks more central for where I want to ride non-race days, and I'll just suck up the day-of (and day-of registration, unless I get a buddy to pick up my packet) drive.

This all sounds excellent, and I'm getting really excited. Now I just have to finish up the planning of riding options... Guess I should toss the 32t back on the XC bike too and register for the race!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thank you VERY much. It sounds like it's all much more accessible than I thought. (I'm used to some quite backwoods riding at times. Unmarked yet official stuff, etc.)

I ended up booking an AirBNB in Chattanooga for the whole time. It looks more central for where I want to ride non-race days, and I'll just suck up the day-of (and day-of registration, unless I get a buddy to pick up my packet) drive.

This all sounds excellent, and I'm getting really excited. Now I just have to finish up the planning of riding options... Guess I should toss the 32t back on the XC bike too and register for the race!
    Let me know if you have any more questions along the way. Keep me in mind at least as it gets closer. I would say I could even join you for your Sunday ride post-race, but i'm not certain what my availability will be. I have a race the weekend before in GA and may have some honey-dos to get done that day. Chattanooga is an awesome place. Of course i'm biased because I live here (i'm off exit 5 of I-75 close to the hugely popular Hamilton Place Mall).. I'm lucky to be anywhere from 9-45 minutes of everything around Chatt, but also only an hour from the Ocoee area....

Just a few notes on riding areas around here:
    Enterprise South Nature Park - 15 miles of trail, mostly good flowy stuff. most popular place if Chatt for beginners but also a great after work fitness hot lap

White Oak Mountain and Bauxite Ridge - two systems connected via less than a mile of pavement. White Oak has it all from flow to one of the best gnarly rock gardens across the top of the ridge. Ride some at WOM and pedal over to Bauxite for some more solid mileage, but not technical

Booker T State Park - one of the original Chatt trails but now less traveled. More old school rooty singletrack. I personally like it, but some don't. The whole system is just shy of 8 miles.

Raccoon Mountain - The PRIMO place in Chatt. I would not go here unless you're a solid rider. There's some good flow spots, but it's largely good technical singletrack with some legit rocks and boulders in area. My personal favorite is starting at the Boat Ramp at the base of the mountain by the river, climbing the High Voltage trail (for a good kick in the pants), a loop around the top, and descending back down High Voltage (SO GOOD!)

5points - There is one trail with a legit rock garden, but this is mainly good smooth and flowy singletrack

Moonshine trails - the newest around Chatt and I love them! It's just beautiful up in the woods around those trails. These are on trailforks and MTB project now.

mtbr member
    Noted and filed away in a Google Doc. Thank you!

I'm really interested to see how things compare to what I'm accustomed to here in MI. If you've seen footage from Marji Gesick (another NUE race), those are some of my favorite trails to ride. Although they are not all as burly as the stuff typically in the videos. (98%-99% of it is ridable by me.)

I'm really looking forward to this trip. Five inches of new snow here have me really wanting some warm (50F+) weather to ride in. And mountains... Mmm!

mtbr member
    Oh, and last year's 2nd place at Cohutta? Local guy from my area... Lives about six miles away. He's absurdly fast. We've got great rolling dirt roads around here and he wholly takes advantage of them.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Noted and filed away in a Google Doc. Thank you!

I'm really interested to see how things compare to what I'm accustomed to here in MI. If you've seen footage from Marji Gesick (another NUE race), those are some of my favorite trails to ride. Although they are not all as burly as the stuff typically in the videos. (98%-99% of it is ridable by me.)

I'm really looking forward to this trip. Five inches of new snow here have me really wanting some warm (50F+) weather to ride in. And mountains... Mmm!
    It's nothing like Marji, Racoon is similar to Mohican, with a few more extended dh. I wouldn't even bring your Camber based on staying in Chattanooga. I would ride the Snake creek gap segment in dalton georgia on the Camber, but anything else you will be more than fine on the Salsa.

As far as the race, save your money and go to mulberry gap. Ride a few days in Chattanooga/dalton, and a day or two at Mulberry.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Tiller15 has given you good advice. Agree with everything he said about Raccoon, White oak, etc. Before I got to the post where you said you booked a place in Chatt, I was going to suggest staying in Blue Ridge Ga. (nice town: I live here 30min from the race, and good spots closeby to ride (Aska trails, Eillijay/pinhoti's, Tanasi) all within 30min. I was also going to suggest one of your riding days be at Ocoee/Tanasi. The trails you ride in the Cohutta are not really the best of the trails there. However, your plan is good; you will enjoy the Chattanooga area.. just throwing some alternative out there.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Tiller15 has given you good advice. Agree with everything he said about Raccoon, White oak, etc. Before I got to the post where you said you booked a place in Chatt, I was going to suggest staying in Blue Ridge Ga. (nice town: I live here 30min from the race, and good spots closeby to ride (Aska trails, Eillijay/pinhoti's, Tanasi) all within 30min. I was also going to suggest one of your riding days be at Ocoee/Tanasi. The trails you ride in the Cohutta are not really the best of the trails there. However, your plan is good; you will enjoy the Chattanooga area.. just throwing some alternative out there.
    For the (over)price of the Big Frog, you can ride the ocoee, Chattanooga, elijay, and Dalton trails and never be more than 1.5 hrs from 75. That's why I love the area. Fell in love the first day I was in Chattanooga. I already told Consumer to move there a few months ago when I found it! He will see why now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    For the (over)price of the Big Frog, you can ride the ocoee, Chattanooga, elijay, and Dalton trails and never be more than 1.5 hrs from 75. That's why I love the area. Fell in love the first day I was in Chattanooga. I already told Consumer to move there a few months ago when I found it! He will see why now.
    Chattanooga really is amazing! I grew up here (not mountain biking), but now sure to appreciate having come from here and everything that we have. There's also currently a project getting underway for an outdoor area on Signal Mountain. Downhill specific bike trails, rock climbing, hiking, outdoor mecca.

Unfortunately I agree on the price of the Big Frog. Yea sure the entry comes with a custom pair of Handup gloves, but I couldn't justify over $100 for a race on trails i'm only an hour away from on a daily basis.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    Chattanooga really is amazing! I grew up here (not mountain biking), but now sure to appreciate having come from here and everything that we have. There's also currently a project getting underway for an outdoor area on Signal Mountain. Downhill specific bike trails, rock climbing, hiking, outdoor mecca.

Unfortunately I agree on the price of the Big Frog. Yea sure the entry comes with a custom pair of Handup gloves, but I couldn't justify over $100 for a race on trails i'm only an hour away from on a daily basis.
    Endurance racing is a lot of rich guys with time and money so the prices in the grand scheme are no different than a night out with their wife financially. So the races will always get people to enter even as they race the prices every year and give you less stuff and less singletrack. That's across the board though not just Cohutta.