2018 Wilderness 101- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2018 Wilderness 101

Less than two weeks out.
    I've done SM100 a couple times and Mohican 100 three times.
    I have decent intel on the course of W101, but curious about the campground and any other unique issues with this race.
    Looks like I won't be able to get there till about noon on Friday (day before). What are my chances of getting a decent camp site? ... or am I going to end up out in an open field?
    Any other logistics advice?
    Thanks!
    _Matt E.
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It is all an open park field, noon should be decent chance you get a spot near some trees or near the creek.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    2018 Wilderness 101-p1000122.jpg

100 % you will be in an open field as that is all there is. The trees to the right are no longer there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Any important course details (or general event details out of the norm) for a 1st timer? Iíll be on a single speed by the way.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not really-it is well run and well marked. Fair amount of gravel climbs with the ST sprinkled in. Typically fast start on roads until first ST around mile 30 (often three-bridges).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The first 30 miles is on the road??

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anybody have any info on the new 101k course? I heard it may cut out a lot of the road/fire road first part.. but can't find anything on it

mtbr member
    May 2008
    In previous years yes...mostly dirt roads, but then tech starts around 30.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    HMMM... thanks! I wonder if I should re-gear for this race? How are the climbs, I haven't seed a course profile (I need to search it on Strava)? I am planning on a 32X19 on my 29er, that would be a slow day on the road especially the flats. I spin out around 14-15 mph

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Been awhile but don't remember a ton of flats, except last ~4miles or so.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    People usually gear between 32x18-20 depending on fitness and preference. The first 30 miles are fast rolling gravel miles...really fast. It's key to latch on to a train on the SS. The second 50 miles are much harder than the first. Generally the theme of the day is long gravel climbs with super rocky singletrack descents. I usually run a 32x20 but I'm trying 34x20 this year. My fastest time is 9:15 but I'm shooting for a sub 9 this year. I really don't have the fitness this season and I live on Long Island which is totally flat so it's tough to train for mountains. Good luck and I'll see you out there. I'll be on a purple Kona Honzo. Any other questions? I've finished it like 8 times. Chris Scott does an amazing job at putting on a really great event.
    Last edited by Bluebeat007; 07-19-2018 at 04:49 AM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    People usually gear between 32x18-20 depending on fitness and preference. The first 30 miles are fast rolling gravel miles...really fast. It's key to latch on to a train on the SS. The second 50 miles are much harder than the first. Generally the theme of the day is long gravel climbs with super rocky singletrack descents. I usually run a 32x20 but I'm trying 34x20 this year. My fastest time is 9:15 but I'm trying for a sub 9 this year. I really don't have the fitness this year and I live on Long Island which is totally flat so it's tough to train for mountains. Good luck and I'll see you out there. I'll be on a purple Kona Honzo. Any other questions? I've finished it like 8 times. Chris Scott does an amazing job at putting on a really great event.
    Right on! I will be on a Pivot Les (with the red accents) and will have a MBR jersey on with a white helmet. If you see me give me a shout for sure, my name is Jesse! Thank you for your suggestions. I just ordered a 20t cog tonight, not sure how Ill gear but I want the option. I normally run a 34X22 and love that gear, but I just built the Les last Wednesday before I raced Carrabassett 100K 3 days later and decided to try 32X19 (I have ran it or similar in the past and liked it). Who knows what Ill do...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Right on! I will be on a Pivot Les (with the red accents) and will have a MBR jersey on with a white helmet. If you see me give me a shout for sure, my name is Jesse! Thank you for your suggestions. I just ordered a 20t cog tonight, not sure how Ill gear but I want the option. I normally run a 34X22 and love that gear, but I just built the Les last Wednesday before I raced Carrabassett 100K 3 days later and decided to try 32X19 (I have ran it or similar in the past and liked it). Who knows what Ill do...
    I used a 32x20 gear last year and while it was a bit spinny, it wasn't terrible. I was able to keep the heart rate under control on the climbs and comfortably turn the cranks. Drafting was certainly key though. Unfortunately I had a mechanical and dropped before aid 4 where the course gets a bit tougher. I was averaging 11.5mph up until that point though. I'm bringing a good deal more fitness this year and hoping to see the whole course. I'm planning on 32x19 gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    I used a 32x20 gear last year and while it was a bit spinny, it wasn't terrible. I was able to keep the heart rate under control on the climbs and comfortably turn the cranks. Drafting was certainly key though. Unfortunately I had a mechanical and dropped before aid 4 where the course gets a bit tougher. I was averaging 11.5mph up until that point though. I'm bringing a good deal more fitness this year and hoping to see the whole course. I'm planning on 32x19 gear.
    Excellent thanks! I think not knowing the course Iíll do 32X20 this time.

mtbr member

This is me. Be sure to say, "Hi" as you blow past me in the tech sections!

This is me. I'll be wearing this exact kit/helmet combo.
    Be sure to say, "Hi" as you blow past me in the tech sections!

Name:  20160904 - AS4 (2).jpg
Views: 351
Size:  170.5 KB

Cheers!
    _Matt E.
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    There's a heck of a climb after Aid 4.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yes, definitely. I can only speak to the first 55 miles and how awesome the folks at Aid 4 (as well as the other aid stations, but I spent the most time with the folks at Aid 4) were. The real take-away should be that the spinny gear isn't hurting you too badly in the first half of the course, so if you think you need/want that for the 2nd half, go for it and just focus on drafting. I'm only going to the 32x19 because I've been working with a coach this year and have a lot more fitness than last year. Also, last year I spent the week before the race in Vegas for work, which isn't exactly the best taper week.

mtbr member
    Good luck to everyone Saturday and maybe I'll see you there. If you see either my friend or I neither one of us are a chiropractor (you'll understand if you see us).

mtbr member

All set!

All packed! Heading up in the morning to meet some old friends in State College for a long lunch. See you guys at packet pickup around 5 pm tomorrow.
    Geeked!!!
    _Matt E.
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I didn't find that climb to be that bad at all. Felt about equal to the earlier climbs after adjusting for 60 miles in the legs.

I was the guy with the broken front wheel the morning of. I found it when putting air in the tire that morning. Chris King ISO hub with a cracked flange that resulted in 2 spokes pulling out. Now that I think about it, I can actually remember hearing it let go on Thursday after building the bike. (frame was at Lynskey getting repaired for a crack from old crash damage that I discovered after Lumberjack) At the time I just thought it was the headset settling a little (I put it in the freezer and tapped it in with a soft headed hammer) and rechecked headset preload. Now I'm guessing that the hub flange letting go was what I heard. Glad I found it before the race, as having a front wheel fold while tearing down the single track descents wouldn't have been fun.

Great event, great course, great weather. I had a blast and will be back next year to shoot for a sub 8hr finish. (8:47 this year)

mtbr member
    It was definitely a good day for me. While nothing to write home about it was my fastest time in that race by 25 minutes so I'm pretty pleased. Last year I got a race ending flat at the end of the singletrack after Aid 3 so I was mentally relieved to get past that point.

On the long gravel descent to Aid 5 I heard "hiss hiss hiss" and felt my calves get sprayed. Seriously?!? A puncture on a gravel road??? This time my sealant took care of it but not before I heard the hiss a couple more times. Added a little air at Aid 5 and I was good through the finish.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    It was definitely a good day for me. While nothing to write home about it was my fastest time in that race by 25 minutes so I'm pretty pleased. Last year I got a race ending flat at the end of the singletrack after Aid 3 so I was mentally relieved to get past that point.

On the long gravel descent to Aid 5 I heard "hiss hiss hiss" and felt my calves get sprayed. Seriously?!? A puncture on a gravel road??? This time my sealant took care of it but not before I heard the hiss a couple more times. Added a little air at Aid 5 and I was good through the finish.
    Hmmm, I flatted on that gravel descent to aid 5. I had a slow leak that turned into a cut sidewall.

Sealant didn't seal it, plug slowed it down a bit and the mechanical support at aid 5 put a tube in for me.

Finished in 8:50:28

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I didn't find that climb to be that bad at all. Felt about equal to the earlier climbs after adjusting for 60 miles in the legs.

I was the guy with the broken front wheel the morning of. I found it when putting air in the tire that morning. Chris King ISO hub with a cracked flange that resulted in 2 spokes pulling out. Now that I think about it, I can actually remember hearing it let go on Thursday after building the bike. (frame was at Lynskey getting repaired for a crack from old crash damage that I discovered after Lumberjack) At the time I just thought it was the headset settling a little (I put it in the freezer and tapped it in with a soft headed hammer) and rechecked headset preload. Now I'm guessing that the hub flange letting go was what I heard. Glad I found it before the race, as having a front wheel fold while tearing down the single track descents wouldn't have been fun.

Great event, great course, great weather. I had a blast and will be back next year to shoot for a sub 8hr finish. (8:47 this year)
    I heard that call out for the need of wheel. Glad you were able to get on to use! I finished just before you at I think 8:43 was my time. We had to of crossed paths a time or two.

Great race! The single track was an ass kicker!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009