2018 Pierre's Hole 100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

2018 Pierre's Hole 100

Coming up real quick, anybody else on here racing it?

It's going to be my first 100, feeling pretty prepared at this point, I think beating the cutoff (ie. goal number 1) should be relativelyeasy.

The rest of the goals (finish, sub-12, earn a buckle) maybe not so much...

Any tips/insight on the course? I'm not planning on any pre-riding, watching Jerimiah Bishop's video from last year the trails look very similar to a lot of the stuff I've ridden around Park City - just with more switchbacks - so I'm not too worried there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm still hoping to but dealing with nagging injuries so most likely bailing this year as yeah, it's coming up quick A few friends are still on track to go and I f-ing love the riding in the area.

Did it a few years back and from keeping an eye on it, it's changed quite a bit (more singletrack and no road climbs).

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm planning on being there, only for the 100k tho. Looking forward to it, never been there. I watched Bishops video, does look very Park City-ish, raced P2P several times. I have some smashed up ribs that are healing slowly, but hoping I'll be good to go. Coming from sea level will be my biggest handicap, but I love doing great races in great places....

mtbr member
    PH100 is one of my top fav races. Great trails and venue. I stayed at the resort all weekend.

I did it in 2015 so cant really give u much up to date trail layout. Back then was big climb to the top (enjoy some sweet views of the Tetons at the top) then long decent with switch back berms. Was then long road climb back up to the resort. (This was the part Walt Disney was referring to that changed) Back on single track to rolling up and down towards the back side of the resort. Then looping back to the start finish.

I would agree some sections are much like P2P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I live in PC, have done P2P the last 6 years and this will be my 3rd year racing Pierre's hole. Love it. Real cool vibe and fun trails. They have changed the course this year so I can't speak to it exactly, but I was going over the changes last night and it looks like they mainly just added more single track. Each lap is basically a figure 8 with aid stations happening at the intersection and again at the start/finish area. You can stash any bottles, hydration packs, food, etc. at either aid station before the start as both are right near the parking lot.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer if I can

Good luck! Should be fun.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I did PH100 as my first 100 as well. Awesome venue and the trails are simply spectacular. I live at around 500m so found the altitude challenging, but it's a race I'd gladly do again. Take time to enjoy the views of the wildflowers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Course change eliminates the Mill Creek Cold spring descent and then the 2 mile road climb back to the resort, substituting some nice single track instead. I think it's a mile or two longer each lap though. Flowers are still going off, and it's not too dusty yet. Smoke will be the big concern, the weekend was kind of bad, today was better though. Forecast is for 80 in the valley, so should be a great day up high.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Surprised myself on Saturday:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1750171639

I was thinking that the 10:30 Belt Buckle time was probably an unlikely stretch goal for me, for my first "100", but managed to pull it off - just barely!

3:13 first lap had me thinking two things: "maybe I can do this" and "I went out way harder than I had planned"

2nd lap - which replaced 1.6 miles of 7% DT with 2.8 miles of 4% singletrack - was 3:34, putting me squarely "on the bubble".

At that point I had settled on the plan of "try and go steady on the first half lap - the two biggest climbs of the course - and then bury yourself on the short climbs of the 2nd half if you haven't dropped too much time on the first half".
    I ended up behind a singlespeeder and another (100k?) racer for the first couple miles of the climb, riding just a hair easy, but when they bobbled I figured I ought to go for it.
    I rolled into the mid-lap feed station and was about 2 minutes slower first half of lap 2 - probably not bad considering the time spent "sitting up" as well as over a minute dealing with a dropped chain. (Derailleur spring started acting up, not putting enough tension on the chain). Now I was even more on the bubble than before.
    My wife told me I was behind my pace for the buckle - 9 hours of staring at my bike computer and crunching the numbers told me I wasn't behind pace - yet - but also yelled that 10th place was 2 minutes up the road. My initial thought was "11th pays the same as 10th, and I'm here racing the clock, not other people", but having a rabbit ended up being a pretty good motivator. I caught a few distant glimpses of him on the last big climb, but he didn't come more squarely into my sights until the descent at its end.
    I managed to put down tempo-to-threshold efforts up the remaining short climbs, caught and passed him, and then realized that I didn't have any good landmarks for how long the rest of the lap would take. My anxiety was compounded when my ELEMNT rolled over the 10 hour mark, and the display stopped showing seconds - and I knew it was going to be that close. Lots of encouraging myself, some of it probably out loud, and it wasn't until I could see the flyover 100 yds before the finish at 10:25 that I knew I had it in the bag.

While I still feel like the belt buckle thing is played-out, copycatted, etc., you're probably going to have to pry this thing from my cold, dead hands.

Now, I've just got to find a sufficiently motivating goal for Park City Point 2 Point...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice! You must've been around the time of one of my friends (Mike). Good work (to both of ya).