2018 Mohican 100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2018 Mohican 100

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on this race. I have heard that it gets rained out most years, which makes me reluctant to sign up. I will be driving a long ways so I would hate to waste my time and gas money.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Name me a year it got "rained" out. I take that as canceled by rain. Im not sure that has ever happened. Maybe you have something confused.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Great race. Very well organized. Last year, there was a full thread with recommendations for the 2017 race. I did it last year and it was quite dry. However, the drive home to NY the following day was wet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordeauxman View Post
    Great race. Very well organized. Last year, there was a full thread with recommendations for the 2017 race. I did it last year and it was quite dry. However, the drive home to NY the following day was wet!
    thanks for the heads up about last years post. Here is the link to the 2017 thread. I'm racing it for the first time this year. Good luck to everyone. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=1028806

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've done Mohican the last four years and only in 2015 was there serious rain. 2016 had some light rain that wasn't an issue and the other two years were absolutely beautiful.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, for some reason I thought I remembered a lot of chatter about this being a wet race. Maybe they just had one bad year and that's what I am remembering.

mtbr member
    See you there.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How's training going for everyone? I'm itching to get out of my basement!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AMac4108 View Post
    How's training going for everyone? I'm itching to get out of my basement!
    Yeah, same here. Pining to put a number on the bike, mix some tailwind, and get after it. Training is showing gains. Never as great of a gain as one hopes for, but definitely moving in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I currently have have 1x11 on my bike. 32t. 10/42 cassette.

Should I be concerned with this and look at getting a 30t ring instead? I'll probably answer it myself once I can get some long rides in.

k^2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Should I be concerned with this and look at getting a 30t ring instead? I'll probably answer it myself once I can get some long rides in.

I have not done the race but I have ridden the trail. Myself I would definitively go 30t ring.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by k^2 View Post
    I have not done the race but I have ridden the trail. Myself I would definitively go 30t ring.

Have to disagree K-Rad. The race has a lot of gravel roads, definitely dont want a 30 on those. I would actually get a 11-46 cassette and keep the 32. The race isnt a lap of the trail per se, its the start of the trail and then it leaves the trail and comes back later. I did 3 laps of the whole trail in a row and used a 34 x 11-40. It was fine, the hills are too short to sit in, better to keep the momentum higher, roll the hills and maintain speed. There will be some super steep unrideable for majority hills and some super steep gravel roads that youll want a bit more granny but not enough to have less top end. Youll want higher top end on majority of the race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k^2 View Post
    I have a 36t and have been contemplating a 32; running 42 in the back.

As for training, 90% of it has been indoors for me due to our sh*tty weather. I cannot wait to get outside and grab some longer endurance-type rides.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I have a 36t and have been contemplating a 32; running 42 in the back.

As for training, 90% of it has been indoors for me due to our sh*tty weather. I cannot wait to get outside and grab some longer endurance-type rides.

36x42 might have you standing or walking in areas you want to be seated. To me a 30 ring is for long extended climbs, mohican has zero of those. A 32x42 will be more than enough coming off a 36x42.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Depends a bit on your fitness, goals, and if doing the 100 Mile or 100k. I consider myself a pretty fit racer and I cramped up hard 3 times in the 100k last year (finish time was 6:03). That was with a 32t oval and 10-42 cassette. The initial few miles of the race are on pavement and are VERY fast for an endurance race. So if early positioning is important to you, take that start into account. The 100 mile has a long stretch of rail trail in it. You may want a bit bigger gear there to keep cruising speed up. The 100k is never ending, steep, punchy climbs on trail and gravel with little recovery in between, and some rough, rocky not very well ridden trail that is borderline hike-a-bike for a good chunk of the course. I say better to gear down and keep cadence up for the 100k.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sducomb View Post
    Depends a bit on your fitness, goals, and if doing the 100 Mile or 100k. I consider myself a pretty fit racer and I cramped up hard 3 times in the 100k last year (finish time was 6:03). That was with a 32t oval and 10-42 cassette. The initial few miles of the race are on pavement and are VERY fast for an endurance race. So if early positioning is important to you, take that start into account. The 100 mile has a long stretch of rail trail in it. You may want a bit bigger gear there to keep cruising speed up. The 100k is never ending, steep, punchy climbs on trail and gravel with little recovery in between, and some rough, rocky not very well ridden trail that is borderline hike-a-bike for a good chunk of the course. I say better to gear down and keep cadence up for the 100k.
    Great advice ( nice time BTW ). The climbs just keep coming. I will miss my 2x11 the next time I do it. Did the 100Mile last year and had a great time but it will be the 100k going forward. It's plenty....
    2016/18 Fuel Ex9 29
    2017 Domane SLR8
    2018 Boone 7

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Speaking of gearing advice, any SS riders that have done both Mohican 100 mile and Crotched Mtn 100 and can share any gearing differences they might have made between the two? This will be my first attempt at Mohican, you guys being worried about a 32x10-42 gear not being sufficient have me worrying now. I was planning to just run my CM100 gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice time! I'm doing the 100k. This is my first go at an endurance MTB event. My only goal is to finish.

Sounds like it would be worth the money for me to get the 30t and try them both out.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    Speaking of gearing advice, any SS riders that have done both Mohican 100 mile and Crotched Mtn 100 and can share any gearing differences they might have made between the two? This will be my first attempt at Mohican, you guys being worried about a 32x10-42 gear not being sufficient have me worrying now. I was planning to just run my CM100 gear.
    Ive ridden the trail a bunch SS. 34/20 is what you want. No offense to any of them but running a 30 makes tem sound like they are trying to not be dfl. The longest climb is under 10 minutes. Not sure why on earth anyone would need a 30x42. You can walk faster. Traction and people in front of you will be a bigger factor than needing a 30x42. You need a 0x42 probably cant even ride the hill you "think" you need a 30 chainring on. Youll probably be walking evn with that30 and then lose a bunch of time everywhere else. Flawed strategy to me. To each their own though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Ive ridden the trail a bunch SS. 34/20
    The trail itself is probably the easiest part of the race course. The wilderness section is a beeyotch.

Nov 2015
    The trail itself is probably the easiest part of the race course. The wilderness section is a beeyotch.
    Ive ridden the wbole 100k course twice. I stand by my statement. Less gear, les speed, more time.

mtbr member
    36x42 might have you standing or walking in areas you want to be seated. To me a 30 ring is for long extended climbs, mohican has zero of those. A 32x42 will be more than enough coming off a 36x42.
    Thanks, Lane. Will do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi All,

I'm looking to transfer out of my registration for this year's (2018) 100k due to a major scheduling conflict. I'm pretty disappointed. I registered early so I would like to get my $110 back. Feel free to PM me with any serious interest.

Thank you!
    Chris

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry to hear you can't ride it this year. I would try posting this to one of the local mountain bike Facebook pages too.

CAMBA Community is a very active one - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1465611037041784/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks! Yeah...bummed about it. I'll try and post on there, thanks! Dumb question...any way I can post without a Facebook account?

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoomyster View Post
    Thanks! Yeah...bummed about it. I'll try and post on there, thanks! Dumb question...any way I can post without a Facebook account?
    Hey pm me ill buy it
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hey pm me ill buy it
    Another race you won’t do but say you will?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    Shots fired!

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    Nah, unlike Epic Fondos, and No Fun Promotions, Ryan actually puts on a competitive challenging race. You should come introduce yourself at the race. You can pm me for contact info. I always like meeting my biggest fans. Might even autograph your chest for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nah, unlike Epic Fondos, and No Fun Promotions, Ryan actually puts on a competitive challenging race. You should come introduce yourself at the race. You can pm me for contact info. I always like meeting my biggest fans. Might even autograph your chest for you.
    PM you for contact info? I'll follow the odor of a guy that hasn't seen the wet side of a shower with soap for weeks to the beat up white van with a poor dog chained up outside it. I can't wait for the results sheet to see the "DNS" or "DNF" after your name, that is if you even sign up.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate View Post
    PM you for contact info? I'll follow the odor of a guy that hasn't seen the wet side of a shower with soap for weeks to the beat up white van with a poor dog chained up outside it. I can't wait for the results sheet to see the "DNS" or "DNF" after your name, that is if you even sign up.
    Lol, i have been renting a house in Prescott for over a month, you should do a better jon of stalking me. Feel free to ruin another thread though. Guys are trying to get advice but guys with brains the size ofa peanut feel the need to ruin another thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Say are you the same Lane who claimed all that useful knowledge about the Marji Gesick that wasn't correct?

And DNF'ed?

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kwings00 View Post
    Say are you the same Lane who claimed all that useful knowledge about the Marji Gesick that wasn't correct?

And DNF'ed?
    For sure. What was your finish time at Marji ast year? 68pct of the people who entered dnf. Wea all must have needed to hire you as an expert i guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I finished my race yes. Sorry my services are not for hire at this time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bump since the race is this weekend. I fly out tomorrow morning and plan to get an hour or so pre-ride in on Friday afternoon once I get the bike back together. Looks like the area has had a good bit of rain over the last couple of days, how well do these trails drain? Are we looking at a 100 mile mud slog?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've raced Mohican in the past when it poured the day/night before and the trail was surprisingly awesome the next day.

Unless we have a Mohican area resident on board here, I'm expecting good trails with some sloppy sections but not a complete mud bog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yup, the trails drain really well. Saturday forecast is looking good!

I have to miss this great event for the first time in awhile due to a family event.

Everyone have fun!
    2016/18 Fuel Ex9 29
    2017 Domane SLR8
    2018 Boone 7

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anywhere to see results today before they go on the website?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarn View Post
    Yup, the trails drain really well. Saturday forecast is looking good!

I have to miss this great event for the first time in awhile due to a family event.

Everyone have fun!
    The built/maintained trail drained good. The rest? Not so much. Bishop was ~15min slower this year. It wasn't the muddiest race I've done, but hero dirt it was not.

Mohican HABs are no joke. Those were the steepest ones I've ever encountered.

Also, Lane made a race! Saw him in the 100k results sheet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The built/maintained trail drained good. The rest? Not so much. Bishop was ~15min slower this year. It wasn't the muddiest race I've done, but hero dirt it was not.

Mohican HABs are no joke. Those were the steepest ones I've ever encountered.

Also, Lane made a race! Saw him in the 100k results sheet.
    Yep, full time PRO did the 100k SS race and was 10/25-solid mid pack finish from a guy that was racing to win. Guess not so much...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mich800 View Post
    Anywhere to see results today before they go on the website?
    They are on the website now. Quite the race for sure; spectacular singletrack!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yep, full time PRO did the 100k SS race and was 10/25-solid mid pack finish from a guy that was racing to win. Guess not so much...
    I'm not a Lane fan but that is a unnecessary cheap shot. Win or not his time was good for rolling SS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Maybe, but I was glad he was there all the same. I'm not sure why he didn't switch to the 100 mile format though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    They are on the website now. Quite the race for sure; spectacular singletrack!
    Thank you. I see they had it up that evening. I was trying to see who placed in front of my son. He went down there unsupported as I have always been his pit crew but had to work. It was killing me not being able to get updates until I saw his strava posting. His second NUE race and I think he is hooked.

He has been training hard but beat all my expectations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kwings00 View Post
    I'm not a Lane fan but that is a unnecessary cheap shot. Win or not his time was good for rolling SS.
    Looks like a Rigid SS from his picture on Strava…

Maybe, but I was glad he was there all the same. I'm not sure why he didn't switch to the 100 mile format though.
    He could be saving himself for the Lumberjack in two weeks.

mtbr member
    Thank you. I see they had it up that evening. I was trying to see who placed in front of my son. He went down there unsupported as I have always been his pit crew but had to work. It was killing me not being able to get updates until I saw his strava posting. His second NUE race and I think he is hooked.

He has been training hard but beat all my expectations.
    Did he do the 100 or 62? I wasn't ready to take on 100; the 62 was challenging enough for me at this time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Did he do the 100 or 62? I wasn't ready to take on 100; the 62 was challenging enough for me at this time.
    He got 9th in the 100 mile mens open.

mtbr member
    He got 9th in the 100 mile mens open.
    Damn; that's fantastic! It was a tough course.