2018 Kokopelli 100/140 (1 day) Thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

2018 Kokopelli 100/140 (1 day) Thoughts?

Thinking about signing up for the KTR100 this year. Looking for something in Aug/Sep and this seems reasonably close to me. There is a lot of info about the race on MTBR but most of it is about 10 years old, so I figured Id revisit the topic.

I am wondering about tire choice. Thinking ranger 27.5x3.0 but maybe 29x2.6. Looking for some confort and capability, or should I justs tick with 29x2.4. The sandy stuff and unknown last half has me thinking plus.

ive only ridden the pieces around Loma, so I dont onow much other than that. Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

This place needs an enema
    The narrower the tire the faster you'll go overall. Also the more beat up you'll be late in the ride, and after.

2.2 was a "big" tire when I created that race, and most people stuck with 2.0 or 2.1. Seems like splitting hairs these days, right?

I don't know what the "100" route is, nor which direction the race goes. Direction of travel would actually influence my tire choice -- lots more shitty/sandy ("shandy") climbing if you go E->W.

Of the choices you gave I'd definitely stick with a taller (29") wheel for efficiency, and tire width would come down to which specific treads/casings you had at your disposal.

So to say, between 2.4" and 2.6" you're probably going to be happy either way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The narrower the tire the faster you'll go overall. Also the more beat up you'll be late in the ride, and after.

2.2 was a "big" tire when I created that race, and most people stuck with 2.0 or 2.1. Seems like splitting hairs these days, right?

I don't know what the "100" route is, nor which direction the race goes. Direction of travel would actually influence my tire choice -- lots more shitty/sandy ("shandy") climbing if you go E->W.

Of the choices you gave I'd definitely stick with a taller (29") wheel for efficiency, and tire width would come down to which specific treads/casings you had at your disposal.

So to say, between 2.4" and 2.6" you're probably going to be happy either way.
    Thanks for the response Mike. I know you’ve had a hand in quite a bit but disnt know about this one. Now a wheelset you built for me will be racing in your race.

I am a ‘bad back’ guy so comfort matters, but on the edge of my fitness, speed will matter too. Id like a fast rolling 2.6-2.8 to throw on my i29s. I only know of the mcfly that might fit the bill or the cumberland. I hear talks of a 2.6 xr2 and 2.6 ikon, but havent seen any ETAs. As to 3.0, i cant fit a 3.0 in the frame.

The 100 starts at westwater airstrip amd goes west to moab. I hate to cut it short but 140 is probably too much for me. Plus ive ridden troys, mack, lions and the rest of the kokopelli loops in loma plenty of times, so im missing something cool but known.

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Thanks for the response Mike. I know you’ve had a hand in quite a bit but disnt know about this one. Now a wheelset you built for me will be racing in your race.

I am a ‘bad back’ guy so comfort matters, but on the edge of my fitness, speed will matter too. Id like a fast rolling 2.6-2.8 to throw on my i29s. I only know of the mcfly that might fit the bill or the cumberland. I hear talks of a 2.6 xr2 and 2.6 ikon, but havent seen any ETAs. As to 3.0, i cant fit a 3.0 in the frame.

The 100 starts at westwater airstrip amd goes west to moab. I hate to cut it short but 140 is probably too much for me. Plus ive ridden troys, mack, lions and the rest of the kokopelli loops in loma plenty of times, so im missing something cool but known.

Bontrager XR2's and XR4's exist in 29 x 2.6. I have 'em in stock. Maxxis Rekon's are good too.

Holy crap is that route going to be hot in Aug/Sept.

mtbr member

2018 Kokopelli 100/140 (1 day) Thoughts?

Not a great description of the 140 mile route on the Moab side. Does it climb the whole ench route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It is going to be hot and i might be in touch about an xr2 mike. I want to do the route and even thought about a self supported solo single day rip in late october for the weather, but not aure that is something im ready for. Its nice to have aid stations every 20mi so all i have to think about is grindin away.

And claystrick no porcupine rim, i looked at the map and compared, its samdy flats all the way into town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Bontrager XR2's and XR4's exist in 29 x 2.6. I have 'em in stock. Maxxis Rekon's are good too.

Holy crap is that route going to be hot in Aug/Sept.
    I was thinking the same thing about the heat but I suppose a 12am start time for the 140 will put most of the misery at the end of the race? And do you have any thoughts about doing it on a single speed or would I be advised to take a FS with gears? I don't really care where I place and typically enjoy SS riding more, if the course is accommodating.

BTW, interesting blog.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about the heat but I suppose a 12am start time for the 140 will put most of the misery at the end of the race? And do you have any thoughts about doing it on a single speed or would I be advised to take a FS with gears? I don't really care where I place and typically enjoy SS riding more, if the course is accommodating.

BTW, interesting blog.

You'll go faster on the SS. Your body will feel better on the FS.

12AM start will indeed help, but after ~8 or 9 AM y'all will be cooking from the inside out and outside in. Pray for monsoons to still be happening.

ive only ridden the pieces around Loma, so I dont onow much other than that. Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    the stuff by loma is virtually the only singetrack on the course. the rest is dirt road.

first half (after loma stuff) is really easy cruiser riding. mostly flat, rolling brushy desert. not even sandy really. there's a ~10 mile section where you cross the highway and climb that has some sand in it, but it's mostly encountered downhill and isn't much of a factor.
    second half (after crossing highway/dewey bridge) is pretty brutal climbing. same hard packed dirt roads but straight up and straight down, lots of false summits, steep grades and mental frustrations. then one loose/chunky jeep road descent but clearable on a HT with some skills. then another long ass hard pack dirt road climb. pavement descent, pavement climb up the la sal loop road and down more hardpack/washboard into town.

i'd run smaller tires and a HT. i think the weight of a full suspension and bigger tires would slow you down a lot and have you wondering why you're dragging around so much unnecessary baggage. a good CX rider would probably be fine on the course between westwater and moab.

i'm surprised the cutoff is 16hrs, with the record being 13.5. not much room there.

Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    not even sandy really.
    It is a desert. During a drought. And at the end of summer. There is certainly a lot of hardpack but don’t underestimate the amount of sand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I was surprised at the cutoff as well. Honestly im not sure this is the one for me at least not yet. I just got done with the bailey hundito and had such a blast. I think for my first 100 id like a little more trail and less doubletrack. I like the idea of bikepacking the koko in 2 or 3 days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    the stuff by loma is virtually the only singetrack on the course. the rest is dirt road.

first half (after loma stuff) is really easy cruiser riding. mostly flat, rolling brushy desert. not even sandy really. there's a ~10 mile section where you cross the highway and climb that has some sand in it, but it's mostly encountered downhill and isn't much of a factor.
    second half (after crossing highway/dewey bridge) is pretty brutal climbing. same hard packed dirt roads but straight up and straight down, lots of false summits, steep grades and mental frustrations. then one loose/chunky jeep road descent but clearable on a HT with some skills. then another long ass hard pack dirt road climb. pavement descent, pavement climb up the la sal loop road and down more hardpack/washboard into town.

i'd run smaller tires and a HT. i think the weight of a full suspension and bigger tires would slow you down a lot and have you wondering why you're dragging around so much unnecessary baggage. a good CX rider would probably be fine on the course between westwater and moab.

i'm surprised the cutoff is 16hrs, with the record being 13.5. not much room there.
    Many thanks for sharing this. I didn't realize there was that much dirt and paved road instead of singletrack. I think I'd rather do the route as an overnight bikepacking adventure sometime instead of racing it.

mtbr member
    I was surprised at the cutoff as well. Honestly im not sure this is the one for me at least not yet. I just got done with the bailey hundito and had such a blast. I think for my first 100 id like a little more trail and less doubletrack. I like the idea of bikepacking the koko in 2 or 3 days.
    Thoughts exactly about the cutoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk