mtbr member
    Mar 2009

2012 Original Growler - Gunnison, CO

The Original Growler MTB Races - May 26-27, 2012

The first of three separate dates for online registration opens next Wednesday February 1, 2012 at 9pm MST.

Click on the link below for details about the 2012 Original Growler, our expanded format and the three separate waves of online registration. Thanks for supporting trail advocacy and Gunnison Trails!

2012 Original Growler

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Growler Registration Wave #2

Registration Wave #1 went pretty fast. Wave #2 opens Saturday February 18th at 7am mountain time.

2012 Original Growler

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Can't wait for the Growler this year!!!
    Growler Video
    jesus rides a fixed gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Registration Wave #2 opens tomorrow morning - Saturday February 18th at 7am (mountain time) Sharp.

If you miss out, the Final Wave will be Sunday March 4th at 9pm. Thanks for supporting trails!
    The OGC

2012 Original Growler

Ride, Sleep, Work
    Are we allowed to use MP3 players during the race?
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I hope not. This is dangerous to others out there and extremely inconsiderate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
    Dont know, but there were some that used speakers and played their music. Some of them I wished they had a MP3... nothing like getting stuck behind crappy music.

Team Velveeta™

2nd lap is different than the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by speedier racer View Post
    I hope not. This is dangerous to others out there and extremely inconsiderate.
    I'm pretty much opposed to racing with phones in your ears. I've had a couple bad experiences. Once on the climb to Columbine during the LT100 some clown was around me listening to tunes with his eyes half closed. He was wandering to the left and almost got creamed by one of the sub-8 guys ripping it back down from the turnaround. Another time during a 24 solo in the middle of the night somebody started passing me on singletrack without saying a word, bumped my handlebar on the way by, then belted out an out-of-tune line from whatever crappy music he was listening to as he rode on.

That said, I do enjoy sometimes having music on a long ride. But I totally agree with race promoters when they ban it. Not sure what the policy is at the Growler.

In my experience at that event, on the first lap it would be a totally irresponsible thing to do, whether allowed or not. On the second lap (if you're in for the full ride) people are way more spread out. Since I'm a diesel I had the whole course to myself on my second lap. I wasn't rocking out, but I can't remember when it would have mattered--I wasn't passing or being passed at all on that second trip around to my recollection.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The final wave of registration is open at bikereg.com. The site says, "only 0 spots still available!" However, there are spots available and people are registering. Just ignore the message, click the distance and register. Sorry for any inconvenience. Register and info here:

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/15241

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This was my first endurance race, and it was freaking awesome! The course was marked very well, the aid stations (and volunteers there) were amazing, and I ran into many awesome people on the trail. I really had a ton of fun considering this was my longest ride ever.

I did the the full growler on a single speed and finished 31st out of 35 finishers in the category! My goal was to finish and still feel good enough to have a beer though...i put no time limit on myself. I accomplished my mission, and there were plenty of refreshments to be had! Thanks for the van that was handing out beers on the last stretch into downtown too...whoever you two were! I'm not even a huge fan of white rascal, but that was one of the best tasting beers I've ever had!

I did forget my drop bag though. I was too excited and tired at the finish that I just wanted to drink some beers. It totally slipped my mind that I didn't grab it. I hope you guys have a pile of all the non-claimed gear. I really need that thing back!

Thanks again... I'll be back next year!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ha, I am glad to hear that I wasn't the only one "lost" in the moment and "left" the dropbag at the finish.

Second the previous posters take on the volunteers and really the event. It was great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    We have a couple of bags. Send us an email at info@gunnisontrails.com and we'll figure it out. Glad you guys had fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0