2 weeks away from my 100km race- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2 weeks away from my 100km race

I wanted to know what should I do on my last week, lot of people tell me to layoff the bike, or do flat 30km twice before the race but not sure.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by monstruo_ View Post
    I wanted to know what should I do on my last week, lot of people tell me to layoff the bike, or do flat 30km twice before the race but not sure.
    My taper weeks usually involve one of two things.

A) getting injured

OR!

B) Shorter rides, but keeping with same intensity.

I suggest you go for the second option. Shorten your rides up, but keep the same intensity (or more, if you like).

I just did a 100km race here at Reveille Peak Ranch. Had to use my SS. Hope you have a better time than I did!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    damn... Thanks for the input, I am usually doing 80km-90km twice a week, so should I do 40km-45km ?

Wrench
    damn... Thanks for the input, I am usually doing 80km-90km twice a week, so should I do 40km-45km ?
    Sounds fine. Even shorter rides would work too. Try increasing your average mph(kmph?) on shorter rides. Don't go over 45k the week of the race, for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Awesome, thanks, so I should focus more on increasing my average mph then... ill do 30k,

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    A lot of endurance races are a mix of fun and misery. A weird blend of experience. I would ride lightly or not ride at all the last week...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A lot of people tell me that, i just feel weird not riding at all for the entire week... not sure if I am going to feel good for the race...

Life-Long Rider
    Sep 2012
    My best results were always after I took 5 full days off before the race. Your muscles will benefit from the recovery time, especially if you've been training hard.

If you do that, just spin super lightly for 20 or 30 minutes before the race to get the blood flowing and the muscles ready for the effort.
    Last edited by bammer150; 10-03-2012 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Long easys wtih a light pedal (high cadence)......

Get your nutrition/hydration straight.....

Do some intervals just to get the cardio rolling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    wha.........

Gumnut Peddler
    So how did it go?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well I hurt my knee a week before the race, I did not do anything the entire week, one day before the race I tried to see how my knee was doing and it hurt pretty bad, this is were my decision skills went down the drain.

I raised the seatpost so the pain of the knee was manageable, not doing the race was not an option, so for the first half of the race everything went well until i started cramping inside my leg, I was like damn... really.. so I rode like that for about an hour until I decided to lower the seatpost back down to my usual position, I was able to pick up my pace and get a good position the knee pain started to get worse but I sucked it up and finished the race. My knee was a bit swollen but now I am getting it back into shape and healthy, so it was a good experience all and all.

Thanks for asking.

Members who have read this thread: 0