2 person 12 hour - race strategy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2 person 12 hour - race strategy?

hello all

im doing a 2 man 12 hour race in 2 months. Was just wondering what a good strategy is for the race. The course is roughly 13km loops that should take an hour or less.
    I'm wondering if we should do one or two lap cycles - for the best speed and then recovery.

The obvious seems 1 lap cycles each but i'm thinking I might do my best time after an hour of riding.

What has everyone had success with ?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
    sp00kme

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by sp00kme
    hello all

im doing a 2 man 12 hour race in 2 months. Was just wondering what a good strategy is for the race. The course is roughly 13km loops that should take an hour or less.
    I'm wondering if we should do one or two lap cycles - for the best speed and then recovery.

The obvious seems 1 lap cycles each but i'm thinking I might do my best time after an hour of riding.

What has everyone had success with ?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
    sp00kme
    Your not talking about the sydney N-Zo are you??

I am also wondering the exact same thing to your question

And also, what to do within the timeframe you have between your laps? It's not a whole lot of time. Do oyu just have something quick to eat and thne hop onto the trainer?

mtbr member
    no not the n-zo race although would love to do that. It's the two wheel promotions 12 hour http://www.twowheelpromotions.com.au/events05_12hr.html here in Queensland.

I'm thinking food and rest in the short space of time. Probably will not ride the trainer with such a short downtime.

I'm actually thinking a 2 lap cycle might be best to give a decent recovery time before you go out again. Dunno, might just see how we feel on the day.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I don't do the 2 person thing, but from racing against people that do, it seems that most go the route of having one person do a lap then tag their partner and then they do a lap. They will alternate each lap for the whole race. This seems to be the plan of attack for most of the duo teams at the WEMSeries races

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think I'd look at doing 1 lap each. You should be able to push yourself harder while on the bike. If you go out for 2 laps each, after a couple of times out, you may burn out. Atleast, I think I would. It would probably be easier to eat/drink when only riding 1hr at a time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

One Lap a piece

Recently, my teammate Jeff and I placed third of all the teams entered at a local 12hr race. We went two laps on and two off the entire time (half hour laps) and it worked like a dream. If you have laps that you estimate to be an hour, I would recommend going one on and one off.

Our strategy was pretty simple. Have each one of us go as hard as we could on our openning rides to try to get to the front and then simply keep steady lap times from that point on. The hour on was simple. The hour off was a bit more tricky. Ironically, without any discussion, Jeff and I ended up doing nearly the exact same thing. The first half hour was simply rest. Feet up and taking in food. I tried to eat right away as that would give it the most time to settle before I was back out on the course. The second half was a quick bike check and simply starting to move around again. This became pretty important as the night wore on. It was also an overnight race so there was the required fussing with lights as well. From that point, it was simply being ready to take off when Jeff came back in.

For reasons I won't pretend to understand, we rode as fast near the end of the race as the beginning with a slow down near the six hour mark. Despite going out hard, my fastest lap ended up being my next to last. Can't explain that one.

Hope this helps,

Skip