Thread: XS or S Truth

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. XS or S Truth

Hi everyone,

I am a 5 foot 4 and 1/2 inch guy with a 29" inseam. I have been riding an old 15" M2 hardtail with a 21" top tube since '94. I run a 100 mm stem and my seat is set all the way back. I always have my hands on my bar ends when climbing cuz I like to be stretched out a little more, but I love the handling of the small frame in the tight stuff.

The XS Truth has a 20.7 inch top tube which is really to small, but I supppose it would work with a longer stem.The small Truth has a 22.25 inch top tube which is way longer than what I am used to, but I suppose it would work with a very short stem.

I like riding technical singletrack and I really want to build a Truth but I cannot decide which size.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Small

Speedgoat has a small for 1399.00.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Try the small

If there's a shop nearby with a built up Truth, try to ride the small. Ahimanic's wife has the XS Truth and it's tiny. Of course I'm 6' so I'm biased. I would suggest going with your original plan, small Truth with a short stem, but like they say, try to ride the bikes first then decide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketHead
    If there's a shop nearby with a built up Truth, try to ride the small. Ahimanic's wife has the XS Truth and it's tiny. Of course I'm 6' so I'm biased. I would suggest going with your original plan, small Truth with a short stem, but like they say, try to ride the bikes first then decide.
    Yes, my wife rides the xs Truth and she's 5'2". She has it set up with 110mm 5-degree Thomson stem and zero setback Thomson post.

I'm 5' 7" w/ 30" inseam and I used to ride a small Truth with a 150mm stem. It was a XC set up and totally stretched out. I think it was too stretched out though because I got shoulder and neck pain on long rides. It was in those days when everyone went with a long stem. Now short is it since trail riding is more popular.

I think at 5' 4" w/ 29" inseam you may have an issue with the small Truth's standover height. I graced the top tube when I stood over the small Truth.

I also rode the xs Truth on a few rides and the cockpit did feel a bit cramped but not horrible. I do have to be more careful when I stand on the pedals.

I think you are probably in between the two sizes so it's a tough call. In the end I think you should size to the top tube and not the standover...unless you have to tilt the bike when you stand but w/ 29" inseam I don't think you have to do that. I switched to the Moment last October and I was between a medium and small. In the end I went with a small because the top tube was a better fit but it took getting used to because I didn't get the "stretched out" feel.

Definitely try to demo a small Truth to at least make sure it's not too big for you. It's nearly impossible to demo a xs Truth because no bike shop ever builds one up.

There is also a rider weight issue with my wife's xs Truth. She's only 135# with gear so it was impossible for her to set up the rear shock correctly. The Truth rear suspension has a low leverage design and that coupled with light weight does not put enough force on the shock. To get her the right sag I had to go down to 45 psi and that just made the rebound way too slow and mushy. To get the right rebound damping I had to go up to 90 psi but that gives too little sag and made the ride too firm. I'm going to send the shock to PUSH and get it re-valved for her weight.

Members who have read this thread: 0