MountainGoat aka OldGoat

Good job! Is it wrong to compare prices?

I am relatively new to this forum. But I have noticed that no one talks about how much they are paying for the frames and parts that they buy. We also are not posting where we are buying these items from.

Is this a place where we can/should compare the costs of our bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    I am relatively new to this forum. But I have noticed that no one talks about how much they are paying for the frames and parts that they buy. We also are not posting where we are buying these items from.

Is this a place where we can/should compare the costs of our bikes?
    Ellsworth dealers are not suppose to sell the frames below MSRP.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    Ellsworth dealers are not suppose to sell the frames below MSRP.
    So does that prohibit us from discussing what we are paying? If a dealer chooses to sell a frame for less than MSRP and we benefit from that low price, what is the harm? The dealer makes a sale and very likely many sales. We get low prices! Win Win?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    So does that prohibit us from discussing what we are paying? If a dealer chooses to sell a frame for less than MSRP and we benefit from that low price, what is the harm? The dealer makes a sale and very likely many sales. We get low prices! Win Win?
    You may get the dealer in trouble by publicizing it.

Time is not a road.
    As I understand it, that shop would be dropped as a dealer.

My first bike, an Isis, I got from an online retailer, Beyond Bikes, in 2002. They offered me $100 in parts to go on the frame, so I was able to outfit a new Thomson post and XT front derailleur. That frame was $1400 or so, I don't remember off hand.

I subsequently traded that frame for a Moment which I got from The Path bike shop in CA. I got $700 trade in value for the Isis from Ellsworth. The Moment lists at $2295, which is what I paid for it. However, a local shop lists the Moment frame at $2395, so I was able to save $100 on the frame price by shopping out of state, not to mention the savings on tax.

As far as parts go, I get all my stuff at Mountain High Cyclery. They're close to me, the prices are very, very competative and they can get anything I might ride on. I don't like to advertise prices though, as I don't want to create any type of animosity with Larry's other customers, nor do I want to know what they might pay either. I'm sure that if a person is buying a frame, he gives deals on parts, but I don't know that he has an established standard. If I didn't get parts there, I'd almost definitely get them online. Obviously, those are the best advertised deals. Retail at most bicycle shops is in line with MSRP and takes into account certain margins. Some suppliers, like Specialized are very aggressive about what merchandise a dealer carries and how much it's sold for. Quite often, bike shops are limited in the offers they can make. This is the case with small bike brands like Ellsworth, Turner, Intense, etc. That's why you don't see many "deals" on these brands, among other reason.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Usually you get the best deal if you buy components along with the frame purchase. The shop won't discount the frame price but they can discount heavily on the parts, especially on the fork.

I "think" the shops can ligitimately discount the frame prices on the old model when a new model comes out.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    As I understand it, that shop would be dropped as a dealer.

My first bike, an Isis, I got from an online retailer, Beyond Bikes, in 2002. They offered me $100 in parts to go on the frame, so I was able to outfit a new Thomson post and XT front derailleur. That frame was $1400 or so, I don't remember off hand.

I subsequently traded that frame for a Moment which I got from The Path bike shop in CA. I got $700 trade in value for the Isis from Ellsworth. The Moment lists at $2295, which is what I paid for it. However, a local shop lists the Moment frame at $2395, so I was able to save $100 on the frame price by shopping out of state, not to mention the savings on tax.

As far as parts go, I get all my stuff at Mountain High Cyclery. They're close to me, the prices are very, very competative and they can get anything I might ride on. I don't like to advertise prices though, as I don't want to create any type of animosity with Larry's other customers, nor do I want to know what they might pay either. I'm sure that if a person is buying a frame, he gives deals on parts, but I don't know that he has an established standard. If I didn't get parts there, I'd almost definitely get them online. Obviously, those are the best advertised deals. Retail at most bicycle shops is in line with MSRP and takes into account certain margins. Some suppliers, like Specialized are very aggressive about what merchandise a dealer carries and how much it's sold for. Quite often, bike shops are limited in the offers they can make. This is the case with small bike brands like Ellsworth, Turner, Intense, etc. That's why you don't see many "deals" on these brands, among other reason.
    How many dealers can a manufacturer drop and still distribute the goods? If the Mfg. drops too many dealers won’t they be forced to lower the product price?

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Usually you get the best deal if you buy components along with the frame purchase. The shop won't discount the frame price but they can discount heavily on the parts, especially on the fork.

I "think" the shops can ligitimately discount the frame prices on the old model when a new model comes out.
    That is what I did. I got a package deal so I have no idea how much I am paying for each item. The shop gave me an "out the door" price that I was willing to pay.

Time is not a road.
    There was a good article in Dirt Rag a few months back about eBay and online dealers. Mfrs are really upset when dealers sell their products on eBay. It creates an artificially low "value" for particular bikes.

Some carriers like Giant for example, were really cracking down. I understand what you're saying about dealers standing up to threats, but the bike mfrs are pretty unified on this. Also, if a seller gets dropped, they won't have bikes to sell. That's an issue for a bike shop. If they sell a lot of other brands and think they can hedge their bets, they might try it. For the most part though, it seems pretty accepted that they won't discount frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That is what I did. I got a package deal so I have no idea how much I am paying for each item. The shop gave me an "out the door" price that I was willing to pay.
    That's not so hard to figure out. Just price each of your components with a fair market price then you can back into the frame cost. All it takes is researching through 2-3 online shops. You most likely will come up with a frame price that is lower than MSRP.

mtbr member
    MAP (minimum advertised price) pricing is there for a reason and its to discourage dealers from undercutting other dealers. there is no advantage to a seller to heavily discount a product if it can and will be sold at full msrp. MAP pricing is good for all of the dealers and like the others said, if you're looking at a build kit most LBS are willing to wheel and deal on those parts.

mtbr member
    Let it be said something is only worth what you are prepared to pay for it. I think this thread should be removed to the Giant section, as most Ellsworth riders wouldn't apprieciate having a price put on their rides. When you love bicycle riding, you don't mind paying for the quality that far outlasts the intial pain of out of pocket expense which most people forget as soon as they hit the trails. Find a dealer you like not a big company wannabe pratt who doesn't give a rats (there's plenty-you know who you are), better someone more lowbrow with less overheads who knows the gear and can help you better not just sell you.

I don't think it's unreasonable to pay 10g for a bike when people buy cars that are worth more than your average mortgage, so sell your mother in law if you have to buy a bloody Ellsworth and be done with it. Why because I can, anyhow I'm only wasting time here because I am suppose to be completing a report and babysit otherwise I would be on my bike.

That's my 5 cent
    Last edited by jimmy L; 01-13-2006 at 10:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have several reasons why price is never discussed on a forum or in person.

1. You develop a relationship with your LBS and "your price is your price" and is not to be publicized.

2. Most people who are not riders ask you what you paid for your ride. If you tell they believe you are crazy. Don't want to get into needless discussions.

3. I f your wife or girlfriend find out the price you maybe up S**T's creek. I know of several instances were a loose lip get the bike rider into domestic trouble.

As far as anyone is concerned I paid the Wal-Mart price to keep the peace.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    LOL! Best reasons I've heard so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BobKreyole
    I have several reasons why price is never discussed on a forum or in person.

1. You develop a relationship with your LBS and "your price is your price" and is not to be publicized.

2. Most people who are not riders ask you what you paid for your ride. If you tell they believe you are crazy. Don't want to get into needless discussions.

3. I f your wife or girlfriend find out the price you maybe up S**T's creek. I know of several instances were a loose lip get the bike rider into domestic trouble.

As far as anyone is concerned I paid the Wal-Mart price to keep the peace.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    LOL! Best reasons I've heard so far.
    I like the one about the wife. It's always a battle trying to hide what I have spent on bikes and parts. Every once in a while she will find out and I know I am in for it with the *****ing. They just dont understand how I could pay that much for part and bikes. How can I explain when I dont even know why I spend that much. So I just claim that I have a dissorder and I just cant help it. Besides I am the one working not her so I should at least be able to spurge on something. Sounds good any way!
    Fly Rider

Time is not a road.
    After the wife drops $120 on a pair of jeans, I think I'm entitled to a little bike "excess". And, hey, women definitely compare prices with each other - and gloat a bit, I suspect, too. At least we don't do that!

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    After the wife drops $120 on a pair of jeans, I think I'm entitled to a little bike "excess". And, hey, women definitely compare prices with each other - and gloat a bit, I suspect, too. At least we don't do that!
    True.......I cant even tell you when I even purchased any clothes. But some how it's a waist of money when I buy bike stuff. I look at this way everyone needs to splurge on something lifes to short. Besides you cant spend it when your dead so enjoy life and splurge on what you enjoy. Who know's what tomorrow will bring today maybe your last day. I think I will go ahead and buy those new tires I have been wanting. Sounds good anyway.
    Fly Rider

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Take my advice. You never hide new bike stuff from you wife. They will always find out and then it costs more in “I’m sorry gifts”.
    This is what I now do.
    Every time I want a new bike (2 to 3 years) I just double the price I am going to spend on the bike. I then give the extra money to my wife to spend on what she wants.
    I got a Ti Hard tail with full XTR.
    She got new tile in the kitchen and bath rooms.
    I got an NRS Air.
    She got a new coffee table and sofa.
    I’m getting an Epiphany.
    She is looking for a new horse.
    As you can see we are both happy and I don’t have to hide my new bike. I can spend time working on it and I don’t have to toss a towel on it when she walks into the garage.

I hope you can also benefit form my strategy.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Take my advice. You never hide new bike stuff from you wife. They will always find out and then it costs more in “I’m sorry gifts”.
    This is what I now do.
    Every time I want a new bike (2 to 3 years) I just double the price I am going to spend on the bike. I then give the extra money to my wife to spend on what she wants.
    I got a Ti Hard tail with full XTR.
    She got new tile in the kitchen and bath rooms.
    I got an NRS Air.
    She got a new coffee table and sofa.
    I’m getting an Epiphany.
    She is looking for a new horse.
    As you can see we are both happy and I don’t have to hide my new bike. I can spend time working on it and I don’t have to toss a towel on it when she walks into the garage.

I hope you can also benefit form my strategy.
    Thanks for the strategy but when I said I had a problem I was not kidding. Still stick with me here before I tell you this. 25 bikes and frames in 5 years. Come on dont change your mind now we half to stick together on this. Thats funny about the towel I have 4 on my bike now. LOL
    Fly Rider

Time is not a road.
    I'm with you, bro (but you have a problem!). Perhaps an intervention is in order...

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    I'm with you, bro (but you have a problem!). Perhaps an intervention is in order...
    It wont work my riding buddy's tried. I killed them!!!!!!!! Ha Ha
    Fly Rider

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

double the actual cost of your bike

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzer
    It wont work my riding buddy's tried. I killed them!!!!!!!! Ha Ha
    That is the greatest plan ever, makes you look like the smart/loving one. We all know it is going to happen anyway.....we buy a bike...they get a new kitchen.
    If you are smart to it and start out w/ inflating the cost of the bike, then you can throw in the ficticious "I got a deal and saved $$XXX (chicas love the discounts/sales), so we can spend that extra money I saved on..........
    You will get HUGE points in the Hubbie of the Year category.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by srobertstx
    That is the greatest plan ever, makes you look like the smart/loving one. We all know it is going to happen anyway.....we buy a bike...they get a new kitchen.
    If you are smart to it and start out w/ inflating the cost of the bike, then you can throw in the ficticious "I got a deal and saved $$XXX (chicas love the discounts/sales), so we can spend that extra money I saved on..........
    You will get HUGE points in the Hubbie of the Year category.
    Nice twist srobertstx! I will try that next time and see if it boosts me up on the “Husband of the Year” list.

Members who have read this thread: 0