Who's using 05 Z1 or 05 Sher firefly on Moment- Mtbr.com
    trail fairy

Who's using 05 Z1 or 05 Sher firefly on Moment

Hi guys still stuck on which fork to choose to upgrade on my Moment I've narrowed it down to the 05 Z1 FR 1 150 or Manitou Sherman Firefly + (110 -150mm) the more I've ridden the Sherman the more impressed I've become, & the new 05 SPV evolve ti spring would be even nicer than the 04 I've been trialling.

Wish I could try a Z1 to compare, what apeals to me with the Manitou is it also pedals nice and handles well in all situations, if the Z1 is every bit as good all round it would be no choice. I'm a bit concerned the the Marz may only be good for big hits,and plushness, I ride on everything here not just downhill, I'm committed to bolt through hub etc for anything over 130mm in travel though.
    I just go to big now, and the stiffness is awesome compared to skewer forks, also getting some fun bolts for the rear end for my CK hubs to stiffen the rear wheel, the other Moment I compare to mine has this setup and it's a big difference.

So anyone riding either of these forks on there Moment would be great to get some feedback on there strengths and weaknesses if any!

cheers

"Free Riding" take your bike & go ride! Disorderly Conduct 5!

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Hi guys still stuck on which fork to choose to upgrade on my Moment I've narrowed it down to the 05 Z1 FR 1 150 or Manitou Sherman Firefly + (110 -150mm) the more I've ridden the Sherman the more impressed I've become, & the new 05 SPV evolve ti spring would be even nicer than the 04 I've been trialling.

Wish I could try a Z1 to compare, what apeals to me with the Manitou is it also pedals nice and handles well in all situations, if the Z1 is every bit as good all round it would be no choice. I'm a bit concerned the the Marz may only be good for big hits,and plushness, I ride on everything here not just downhill, I'm committed to bolt through hub etc for anything over 130mm in travel though.
    I just go to big now, and the stiffness is awesome compared to skewer forks, also getting some fun bolts for the rear end for my CK hubs to stiffen the rear wheel, the other Moment I compare to mine has this setup and it's a big difference.

So anyone riding either of these forks on there Moment would be great to get some feedback on there strengths and weaknesses if any!

cheers

I have a '05 Z1 150 om a Moment with a DHX5. At first, I had problems setting the sag on the Z1 at any pressure above 0 psi. I weigh 200 lbs., so the sag issue should not be related to spring stiffness.
    At the same time, I also had the 'clunk" problem with the DHX rear shock. After resolving the problem with the DHX, I turned my attention towards tuning the front fork without much luck. On a whim, I took the shock to a "Authorized Marz Repair Shop" for a look. They found out the fork had been over filled with oil and they were honest about it. Now that this problem has been corrected, the fork works great. Very stiff and plush. I took a 5 ft drop to flat dirt and it did not bottom out. It feels much more solid than any other air shocks that I have ever tried. The Sherman is also a great fork.

I would base my decision on, do you really need the adjustable travel and how much do you want to spend. I would also compare the crown to axle heights to see which one is better suited to your style.

The Z1 cost me $550.00 with a free pump. Compared to the cost of a Fox 36, I consider the Z1 to be a fair deal.

not so super...

cheers

TA - I have part of a Z1 on my Moment and a friend has the Firefly on his Foes that I rode for a short section of trail - so does that count. The Firefly does have a good feel and the travel adjustment is easy and functional, but it almost locks it out. The SPV does leave it a little on the harsh side over the small stuff but still has a good feeling off the big drops. I like the Manitou Hex axle too.

The ZAM1 is the ultimate Moment Fork IMO... It is light, tough and functional just like the Moment. The Moment is a great trailbike with a 5" fork up front and rips the DH with 6". The ZAM1 lets you do both with one fork. It handles the small and big stuff very well.

There are alot of people pedaling around on the older Z150 who say it can't be beat, the 05 Z1 is the same thing only lighter! I don't think you would be able to stand to sprint up a hill on it however.
    Nothing to see here.

trail fairy
    Cheers S & E sounds like the Z150 would be the choice, I really do like hammering on uphills though but maybe I can sacrifice a little for the zoke, I'll get the chance to try a new firefly plus in the next week or to so will reserve a decision to then, unfortunately it's hard to get a Z150 to try, both sound like great options so I probably can't go wrong either way.

cheers for the help

Jun 2004

Try the 05 Z1

Cheers S & E sounds like the Z150 would be the choice, I really do like hammering on uphills though but maybe I can sacrifice a little for the zoke, I'll get the chance to try a new firefly plus in the next week or to so will reserve a decision to then, unfortunately it's hard to get a Z150 to try, both sound like great options so I probably can't go wrong either way.

cheers for the help
    Not sure if you are still in the process of making your decision.

I just bolted the 05Z1 onto my Moment, my previous fork was the 03 130mm Sherman Firefly, I went for a 5 hr ride the other day of fast technical terrain and tight singletrack, here are my thoughts.

Stiffness - Both are equally as stiff in my opinion, plenty enough for the technical descents and small jumps and drops (no more than 4-5' that I'm doing). Can't detect any flex. New simplified 20mm thru axle is lighter and simpler than last years QR20.

ETA - Great feature as I can get the fork compressed by around 3" on the climbs and there is still some travel when using it, seems a more solid setup than the TA2 on the Sherman.

Damping - The latest Z1 is very plush from day one, even though the bushings are still breaking in, nice and progressive as you go through the travel. (HSCV) It's probably the best damping system I've tried. The front wheel was the most 'stuck' to the ground of any of the forks on the fast downhills I've tried and matches well with the DHX5. Personally I'm not a great fan of SPV on forks .... I prefer totally plush and active. How often are you standing out of the saddle and sprinting up a hill on a 34lb bike anyway!

Geometry - To be honest I was concerned that it would affect the handling of the bike with the 540mm axle to crown height but I can pretty much climb anything that I did with a 130mm fork, I rarely need to use the ETA except for road climbs and the front end is slackened just enough to make it easy to lift the front end for drops. Needless to say that the downhill handling is considerably improved. I think the Moment geometry is perfect with the 6" fork.

Overall - I'd say for the price and the weight (5.5lb) and the quality of construction and performance it would be pretty hard to beat the new Z1. Travel Adjustment is pretty overrated in my opinion. I would buy another in a second. If you are not too concerned on weight and want better value the Z150 is another worthy choice.