Thread: What Not to Do

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

What Not to Do

Ok, something different from the usual. Ahimanic and I were at Idyllwild over the weekend riding the 24HOA loop. We found a rock to roll over and here's me about to face plant. The lesson I learned, aim for the rocks, not the loose stuff. I did finally manage to jump off of it, but Ahi wasn't fast enough to capture the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Its All Good"
    Awesome photo, your camera man was so in the correct place. Are you sure that was not organised............................ Truly great shot
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Time is not a road.
    Ahhhh! Not the loose stuff!

Great shot, it's a keeper for the kiddies...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I only wished that I had the camera in multi-shot mode, then I would have caught the whole series of motion including the plant! Then I can submit that to the photo caption contest

That's the problem with digicams, you can never have fast enough shutters.

Sprockethead jumped/rolled the rock 3-4 times without any mishap...then this happened and it was the one I captured correctly

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    I only wished that I had the camera in multi-shot mode, then I would have caught the whole series of motion including the plant! Then I can submit that to the photo caption contest

That's the problem with digicams, you can never have fast enough shutters.
    Time for 8 frames per second!

"Its All Good"
    You are correct about shutter speed on the little digital cameras. I so wish I had my SLR digital, it just bangs them off, not good to carry in the Camalbak though..................Nice Nikon camera in the pic Lidarman, I prefer canon............... Both are nice though
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ha! That's going to be one very expensive bumper for my back!

I would not be skilled enough to use one of those...I'll stick to my point-and-shoot Casio Exlim Z750. It has great video mode at 30 fps. Too bad we can't put those in the threads.

Rolling
    .... It has great video mode at 30 fps. Too bad we can't put those in the threads.
    You can! You can disassemble an MPEG into all it's frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    You can! You can disassemble an MPEG into all it's frames.
    Hmmm...what editing software would I need? Would it work with AVI files? That's what the Casio generates in video format.

Rolling
    Hmmm...what editing software would I need? Would it work with AVI files? That's what the Casio generates in video format.
    Hmmmmm back. I have used Corel photopaint to do mpeg in the past and i just looked in the help and it supports avi. There's gotta be some free editors out there too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Windows Movie Maker

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Hmmmmm back. I have used Corel photopaint to do mpeg in the past and i just looked in the help and it supports avi. There's gotta be some free editors out there too.

Lidarman, thanks for the advice, I started playing around with my computer and low and behold, MS offers Windows Movie Maker as part of XP. I have never used it, but I did open up the movies Ahi took while at Idyllwild. The quality isn't great, but I was able to extract the frames pretty easily. Here's how they came out. The bigger photo was from Ahi's Casio and the smaller photo is of Ahi from my Canon S50. Both are point and shoot cameras.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sweeeet! Now we can just take video clips and get all kinds of pictures. Good job!

Too bad the quality isn't a little better but the avi file are already huge as it is.

Hey, where's the frame with me doing the 30 feet drop

trail fairy

Whafe

Sweeeet! Now we can just take video clips and get all kinds of pictures. Good job!

Too bad the quality isn't a little better but the avi file are already huge as it is.

Hey, where's the frame with me doing the 30 feet drop
    Whafe would this work for us? Using your Samsung recorder we could be in business dude!

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/n...Digital+Memory
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How do you guys like this camcorder?

What is the average size of your video clips for a jump, etc.?

What is the largest size digital medium allowed by the camcorder and how many minutes of recording time does that translate to?

This can be a lot of fun on the trail and beats getting the camera out of the backpack all the time.

Just another FOCer

Helmet Camera Resources

Helmet camera resources:

Mountain Bike Bill

Wherewolf

Pete Fagerlin

How do you guys like this camcorder?

What is the average size of your video clips for a jump, etc.?

What is the largest size digital medium allowed by the camcorder and how many minutes of recording time does that translate to?

This can be a lot of fun on the trail and beats getting the camera out of the backpack all the time.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Camera

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Whafe would this work for us? Using your Samsung recorder we could be in business dude!

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/n...Digital+Memory
    I went into Best Buy to pick up this camera but the salesman said "Don't do it", it's not very good. It's for kids who do skateboading tricks and small videos. I looked at my girlfriend and we both thought, So, that's pretty much what we're doing. = )

The Samsung uses Sony's memory stick so I'm not sure how much video you can actually shoot with the camera. I just liked the recorder because it was small enough to carry in my CamelBak and it came with a lipstick camera. What are your thoughts Whafe?

I'm still holding off. I'll probably try out something like Winston's setup...or better yet, get in one of Winston's video if I ever make it out to their rides. I gotta ride more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ah, memory stick. Should be at least a gigabyte.

Probably not too long on the total run time w/ 30 fps but I guess that's quicker and easier than to edit the mini DV tape through fire wire.

I wonder why Samsung went with Sony's Memory Stick instead of SD or CF?

Members who have read this thread: 0