Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    43

    What fork is best for the Moment?

    Hi guys,
    Not long ago I bought Specialized stumpjumper fsr expert and I'm not satisfyed, I will spare you the detailes.
    Any how,I fell for the Ells Moment frame.
    I have a brand new Fox Talas RL from my stumpy.
    Its 90-130 mm fork.
    The spec for the Moment says 125 north.
    When climbing, is'nt it better to have a 90 mm length of fork?
    I don't do rough jumping so 130 is enough for me.
    Please advise if I can put my talas on, if not, what fork is a good substitude?
    Thanks
    Jo

  2. #2
    Mtb & Bassoon player
    Reputation: Palisworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    55
    It will be good,
    but the 36 is the perfection!

    ....and the Moment.......just fantastic!!!!!!

    ciao,
    Pali



  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    26
    Well, the height of the fork will change the head angle - at 90mm you could climb like a barny but descending would be a nightmare. I run 36 Vanillas (160mm) which means I can bomb down the hills but have to work a bit harder on the climbs. Why don't you run your forks for a few rides and then if you aren't happy swap them out?

    Grant

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    Hi guys,
    Not long ago I bought Specialized stumpjumper fsr expert and I'm not satisfyed, I will spare you the detailes.
    Any how,I fell for the Ells Moment frame.
    I have a brand new Fox Talas RL from my stumpy.
    Its 90-130 mm fork.
    The spec for the Moment says 125 north.
    When climbing, is'nt it better to have a 90 mm length of fork?
    I don't do rough jumping so 130 is enough for me.
    Please advise if I can put my talas on, if not, what fork is a good substitude?
    Thanks
    Jo
    I have TALAS RLC on mine and quite happy with it. I know with that fork I can't push the Moment to its full capacity, but I don't do rough jumping either. Just my 2c.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mapkos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    143
    Talas R Fork on my Moment and never had a problem. Again, not pushing it to it's full extent but aggressive as I need to be and it works just fine.
    Ellsworth Epiphany SST2 SRAM XO
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL
    9:Zero:7 SRAM X7

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    43
    Nice to know some of you have the TALAS and youre still pedalling,I think the 36 is an overkill for me. I don't do jumping yet, just like to ride on rough ground and climb. The only thing I needed to know is the confidence effect between the 130 and the 150?
    Does this bike will grant me the confidence they all say about the moment in a moderate singletracks with the 130 mm of travel?
    If I want to swap the forks I need to do it before getting the frame so I can't run the TALAS if I want to upgrade, the closest to the TALAS in price is the Pike.

  7. #7
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    Well, as you know, increasing the travel and axel to crown height is going to slacken the head angle of the bike making it more stable going down. The difference between 130 and 150 will be about 1 degree (this is also dependent on A to C height. Some forks are taller, like Marzocchis for example, increasing that 20mm difference).

    Several long travel forks have adjustment options that will help you do what you want, where you want. My personal feeling is that ETA is the best device because it is a fast adjustment designed just for changing the HA while climbing. Turn it off at the top of the hill and you've got full travel for bombing again. New Marz. forks have travel adjust too, up to 20mm of travel, but like Talas and U-turn, it's not a quick "flip of the switch" change like ETA. Also, you can get a long travel fork (AM1) that doesn't require a 20mm thru axle.

    Just my opinion...I've been obsessing about it a lot lately, as I get my new Moment this week.

    I can say that I've ridden some of the new Rock Shox product and it is very good. Reliability has been pretty solid this year, fork action is smooth, damping is good and the platform works well. The Pike is a good balance between long travel DH and short travel XC via U-turn. But it does require the 20mm axle. For some (like me) that's an issue.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    43
    hi Chad,
    I envy you.
    I only get my frame in a month from now :-(
    I like the fast adjustment issue you've raised, what ETA are you talking about?



    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Well, as you know, increasing the travel and axel to crown height is going to slacken the head angle of the bike making it more stable going down. The difference between 130 and 150 will be about 1 degree (this is also dependent on A to C height. Some forks are taller, like Marzocchis for example, increasing that 20mm difference).

    Several long travel forks have adjustment options that will help you do what you want, where you want. My personal feeling is that ETA is the best device because it is a fast adjustment designed just for changing the HA while climbing. Turn it off at the top of the hill and you've got full travel for bombing again. New Marz. forks have travel adjust too, up to 20mm of travel, but like Talas and U-turn, it's not a quick "flip of the switch" change like ETA. Also, you can get a long travel fork (AM1) that doesn't require a 20mm thru axle.

    Just my opinion...I've been obsessing about it a lot lately, as I get my new Moment this week.

    I can say that I've ridden some of the new Rock Shox product and it is very good. Reliability has been pretty solid this year, fork action is smooth, damping is good and the platform works well. The Pike is a good balance between long travel DH and short travel XC via U-turn. But it does require the 20mm axle. For some (like me) that's an issue.

  9. #9
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    hi Chad,
    I envy you.
    I only get my frame in a month from now :-(
    I like the fast adjustment issue you've raised, what ETA are you talking about?
    ETA is Extension Travel Adjust found on many Marzocchi forks. By moving a dial, you can lock down along any length of the fork to create a better HA for climbing. While locked down, you'll still have 30mm of travel for small bumps. Move the dial back and the fork extends to full travel again. You can do all this while pedaling, no need to stop.

    Check out the AM1 and the Z1 series. Perhaps even the 66s if your going real big...

    AM1:
    http://marzocchi.com/Template/detail...DOggetto=28062

    Z1:
    http://marzocchi.com/Template/detail...DOggetto=28053

    66:
    http://marzocchi.com/Template/detail...DOggetto=28046
    Last edited by chad1433; 11-07-2005 at 09:33 AM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    727
    One thing to add about the ETA.

    I just installed the 130-150mm Marz AM1 on my Moment. Prior to that I had a 125mm Psylo on it. I haven't ridden the new fork on the trail and just tested around the street.

    The ETA works pretty well on the fly. You flip the lever on the top of the left leg, put your weight on top of the handlebar and press...the harder you can press the more you can shorten the fork. I'm only about 160lb and I was able to shorten the travel by almost two inches I think. I didn't measure. I felt an immediate difference on the steering when the ETA was activated. Flip the lever back and the fork pops right up.

    There is certainly a very noticeable difference in steering and overall bike feel between my 5" Psylo and 6" AM1. The climbing was fine on the 5" fork. No lifting and only a very slight hint of wandering. I will have to try the 6" and see.

    The TAS (travel adjustment system?) adjusts the travel by turning an external knob under the left leg but your sag will be affected so to keep it optimum you'll have to ajust the air pressure.

  11. #11
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    The Moment needs the height of the AM or Z line forks for the best ride. If you have a std QR front wheel then get the AM1 - if you have a 20mm thru-axle wheel then the Z1 light ETA is the ticket.

  12. #12
    Brass Nipples!
    Reputation: Bob the Wheelbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,006

    I agree

    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    The Moment needs the height of the AM or Z line forks for the best ride. If you have a std QR front wheel then get the AM1 - if you have a 20mm thru-axle wheel then the Z1 light ETA is the ticket.
    With the TALAS 130, the bike was great, with the Fox 36 it is great-er! 130 mm gives a quick XC oriented ride. With an adjustable travel fork, 130 is still an option when you want it.

    It is nice to be able to lengthen out the travel, though. I actually have been riding my 36 at full extension lately and it doesn't feel too slow to me.

    If I wanted to keep a QR wheelset, I'd look at the Marzocchi AM1 first from what I've read. I do like the feel of the through axle front. It makes for very precise steering control.

    Happy choosing. There are lots of good choices with either QR or through axle.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    43
    You are all talking very highly of the Marzocchi AM1, its the best fork for me, but to expensive (I spent all my reservs on the frame).
    My only relevant trade-in option for my Fox Talas is the Pike 426 (95-140).
    The Pike is nearly 400gr havier and I care about weight.
    What do you say?
    Is it worth the extra weight and few more $$?

  14. #14
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    For 10mm more travel and a 20mm thru axle? I'd say no...send the fork to Push and have them work some magic on it. They can add compression damping and a platform to give you smoother travel throughout the full 130mm range. They can also tune the fork to your riding style, weight and bike (Darren has a Moment so he knows about this bike).

    Check out Push here: http://pushindustries.com/

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    For 10mm more travel and a 20mm thru axle? I'd say no...send the fork to Push and have them work some magic on it. They can add compression damping and a platform to give you smoother travel throughout the full 130mm range. They can also tune the fork to your riding style, weight and bike (Darren has a Moment so he knows about this bike).

    Check out Push here: http://pushindustries.com/
    Thanks man.
    I sent Push a note and asked them about the changes they can do and how much will it cost.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.