mtbr member
    Oct 2004

What best traction tires to suit my new Moment?

Hi,
    Need some advise here, just got my new Moment and besides the prais's I get from all over, I think this model is a work of art.
    I've ridden the Moment on a XC area so far and I use 2.1 WTB weirwolf and it feels great.
    I have done one technical ride and I feel I need a beefier tires that can deliver what the Moment is all about.
    Please advice what the tires would you recomend for moderate singletracks.
    Not downhill or freeride stough, just those tires that will enhance traction going up and down tech stough and not UST.
    Thanks guys
    Yossi

mtbr member
    If you like WTB tires, the Timberwolf in either 2.3 or 2.5 is one of the best front tires I've ever used. I like the Exiwolf 2.1 in the back a lot as well. Mike

Time is not a road.
    Kenda makes my favorite dry condition tires. The new DTC really works as advertised on the rocky terrain we have around here. The traction is good, but not AS good as the pure Sticky rubber versions. Those tires will grip anything! However, they are slow rolling so they make the climbs a real "drag". If I were going to be doing shuttle runs, I'd get some Sticky Nevegals (2.35s). Otherwise, the DTC 2.1s seem to be just about enough (for me). I'm sure the 2.35s would give me a bigger footprint, but I don't like the extra weight because I have to climb my bike up some pretty hefty hills around here.

A lot of people like the Blue Groove up front combo'd with the Nevegal. I like the Nevegal F and R. Either way, Kenda makes great products. They're pretty resistant to pinch flats and the wear on the DTC is good. Stickys will wear pretty fast on the back, especially if you ride a few days a week. Fortunately, I've found them to be pretty economical around here, so replacing them hasn't been too painful.

I've also had some success with the Kenda Kinetics Sticky tires, too. They're F and R specific. Since they're not part of the "Tomac" series, they tend to be cheaper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks guys,
    will take that under consideration

Time is not a road.
    I'm suprised more guys haven't chimmed in. There's several Moment riders in Cali and UT. Surely they have some dry conditions tire experiences? (just a little bump for ya!)

Are thorns an issue for you?
    Last edited by chad1433; 12-20-2005 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I'm suprised more guys haven't chimmed in. There's several Moment riders in Cali and UT. Surly they have some dry conditions tire experiences? (just a little bump for ya!)

Are thorns an issue for you?
    Well, I have 2.325 Maxxis High Roller in sticky rubber on the rear of my Moment. It works pretty well but I wouldn't consider it one of the best traction tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    Hi,
    Need some advise here, just got my new Moment and besides the prais's I get from all over, I think this model is a work of art.
    I've ridden the Moment on a XC area so far and I use 2.1 WTB weirwolf and it feels great.
    I have done one technical ride and I feel I need a beefier tires that can deliver what the Moment is all about.
    Please advice what the tires would you recomend for moderate singletracks.
    Not downhill or freeride stough, just those tires that will enhance traction going up and down tech stough and not UST.
    Thanks guys
    Yossi
    I've had a lot of luck with the Nevegal DTC 2.35 rear and WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Race front for rocky and loose terrain. I use the Blue Groove DTC 2.35 for hard pack and rocky conditions. The BG is even better than the Nevegal in those conditions, but not very good in loose soil.

My other favorite rear tire is a Geax Sturdy 2.25. It's great in most conditions except wet roots.

not so super...
    My personal favorite setup is a DTC 2.35 Nevegal in the back with a 2.5 stick-E Blue Groove up front. No worries!
    Nothing to see here.

whatever she says gueuze.

tires

I use to have a Dare that I used for XC/FR. For all purpose riding, I'd put on a Nevegal fr (2.4, 780g) and a Nokian NBX rr (2.3, 630g). For XC type riding with more climbs, I'd put on a Mutanoraptor fr( 2.4, 595g) and a Motoraptor rr (2.24, 595g). The WTB's have a very thin wall so use a liner or Stans. Also, the Weirwolf 2.5 fr is pretty good and very light.

Brass Nipples!
    I'm running a WeirWolf 2.5 in the front and a Motraptor 2.4 in the back. I'm happy with these in dry conditions, but I think if you place the highest value on traction something with sticky rubber might grip better. Traction isn't an issue with the above tires for me for desert riding.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Time is not a road.
    I've run that exact setup, too. The WTBs roll over objects very well because of their tall profile, I found. The Weirwolf can be squirrely in the corners, but I never washed out.

They wear well, too. I found that running the Motoraptor in reverse gave me more grip on loose climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks Chad for pulling those Moment guys out from their caves.
    I have sufficient info to make my choise.

May we all great great rides.......

---------- __o
    -------- _ \<,_
    ------- (+)/ (+)

Mtb & Bassoon player
    Schwalbe Big Betty!

Ciao,
    Pali

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    Thanks Chad for pulling those Moment guys out from their caves.
    I have sufficient info to make my choise.

May we all great great rides.......

---------- __o
    -------- _ \<,_
    ------- (+)/ (+)
    For cave riding definitely go with sticky rubber!

Time is not a road.
    Spelunka-huck - the new Freerding. Taking it to new extremes underground!

El Malo
    Tyre choice does depend on where you ride and what you're planning on doing.

the 'wolf series is great for nicely packed type XC and some rock, but if you ride in places like up here in the NW, where there's plenty of soft soil, snotty roots and wet wood work, I would highly recomend the set up I have on my bikes.

- Kenda BlueGoove Front (Kinetics are great too) Maxxis Highroller rear... although rolling resistance is considerable on the Kendas, especially on the 2.5 and 2.6's, I just put up with them on the monster rides cos I like large volume and the stability they provide.
    or
    - Maxxis Minion front with a HighRoller rear... they roll great and grip the wood excellent. Mud shedding is Ok... I use this set up for my Dare up at Whistler and general BC aggro riding... couldn't be happier !
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

Members who have read this thread: 0