Well, another cracked chainstay!- Mtbr.com
    Not a Barry supporter.

Well, another cracked chainstay!

So I'm taking my Id apart to sell the frame b/c I'm so afraid of cracking it that - what do my wondering eyes but appear, a crack in the chainstay of the right and rear. (Sorry, a little Christmas spirit take off there.) Anyway, no pics yet as we just got a new digital camera and I'm still learning how to use it. It's strange b/c I'm not a hucker or anything. I ride strictly XC. No drops, very few jumps...and those are minor ones at best. My tires stay on the ground. I'm in it more for the exercise and to stay in shape.

I do have some wear marks on the frame from chain drop and some rub marks from the hydro lines. I'm sure all of this will lead Ells to void the warranty. So instead of a new fork for my other bike, I'm sure I'll be buying a new freaking rear (or hopefully just chainstay).

So people who have dealt with Ells CS, is there anybody in particular better to talk to than anyone else? I'm sure I'll be able to keep a level head...to a point, but I've never had to call them b/4 and I have no idea who to speak with.

Thanks and please wish me luck! I'm calling first thing tomorrow morning.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

rr
    I don't do PC
    They are still making the ID and it has a lifetime warranty so they should take care of it, they haven't changed the design like the Truth have they? I don't think it matters who you talk to but I imagine they will want to inspect the frame before they agree to pay for it.

Of course the naysayers on this board won't believe it just broke, you must of been competing in the Red Bull Rampage or racing DH on it or something, or maybe you weigh 200lbs and were riding Porc Rim after taking a safety break

Oct 2004
    That stinks, especially right before christmas. Good luck with customer service and let us know how it goes.

FB

sock puppet

if you were...

a democrat, this wouldnt have happened...

;-P

good luck dealing with E. let us know how it goes..

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    So I'm taking my Id apart to sell the frame b/c I'm so afraid of cracking it that - what do my wondering eyes but appear, a crack in the chainstay of the right and rear. (Sorry, a little Christmas spirit take off there.) Anyway, no pics yet as we just got a new digital camera and I'm still learning how to use it. It's strange b/c I'm not a hucker or anything. I ride strictly XC. No drops, very few jumps...and those are minor ones at best. My tires stay on the ground. I'm in it more for the exercise and to stay in shape.

I do have some wear marks on the frame from chain drop and some rub marks from the hydro lines. I'm sure all of this will lead Ells to void the warranty. So instead of a new fork for my other bike, I'm sure I'll be buying a new freaking rear (or hopefully just chainstay).

So people who have dealt with Ells CS, is there anybody in particular better to talk to than anyone else? I'm sure I'll be able to keep a level head...to a point, but I've never had to call them b/4 and I have no idea who to speak with.

Thanks and please wish me luck! I'm calling first thing tomorrow morning.

Brass Nipples!

Ditto.

Like everyone's said: too bad, good luck with CS.

What model year is your ID?
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

sock puppet

i dont think anyone will...

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder

Of course the naysayers on this board won't believe it just broke, you must of been competing in the Red Bull Rampage or racing DH on it or something, or maybe you weigh 200lbs and were riding Porc Rim after taking a safety break
    suggest anything along your assumption... $hit happens as you know and now the ball is in TE's backyard. I am sure Crash will be taken care of...

your observation about the Id still being in the production is a good point.

i am sure lots of people will be all ears about how this claim is handled...

me being one of them...

Jun 2003

Good luck with the CS!

We are all ears.

What year is the bike?

Are you the original owner?

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    Like everyone's said: too bad, good luck with CS.

What model year is your ID?

It's an '03. So hopefully TE will take care of me with no hassles. We'll see.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    call up and ask for Jim.. he's THE man
    I Ride, I Know

The Ancient One
    Chainstays are still the same for both Truths and Ids. I cracked mine on my Truth a couple of years ago. It was replaced with no problem in a week.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    suggest anything along your assumption... $hit happens as you know and now the ball is in TE's backyard. I am sure Crash will be taken care of...
    I was poking fun at some of the posts here that imply the Truth owners were doing FR type stuff and thats why their frames broke.

sock puppet

i know...

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I was poking fun at some of the posts here that imply the Truth owners were doing FR type stuff and thats why their frames broke.
    and you had a good reason for that, so i dont blame you at all...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got an 02 Id & have had 2 chainstays crack, both replaced with no problems, the last time it happened I was told they had beefed it up a bit, not that I could see much difference though