mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Upside down RP3 on my ID

hey folks I have a dumb question regarding the RP3 on my ID. I got the shock last week and had trouble with installing it on my ID as the platform/rebound settings and air valve were nearly impossible to access when the shock was in the upright position so I installed it upside down which makes accessing the knobs/air valve a whole lot easier - has anyone else had this problem and will this change the performance of the shock????

Time is not a road.
    It makes sense to mount the shock this way, I think. Look at a single pivot bike or a Mac strut bike like a Racer X. The rear triangle attached to the shaft of the shock and plunges into the body of it. There's less weight on that end of the shock, thus less to overcome, theoretically making it a smoother action. Furthermore, this is exactly how the Epiphany is equiped. Makes sense...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    There's less weight on that end of the shock, thus less to overcome, theoretically making it a smoother action. Furthermore, this is exactly how the Epiphany is equiped. Makes sense...
    Less weight? Huh? Makes sense to who?

It's upside down on the Epiphany simply to make it fit. It has absolutely nothing with the weight of the shock body vs the weight of the plunger. The difference amounts to nothing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well, regardless of whether the positioning of the RP3 has any advantages or lack of, I just want to verify that installing it upside down won't affect the shock's performance. Thanks for the input.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    As was pointed out once before in another thread, most suspension forks are positioned in the same way. So dirt and water shouldn't be a concern either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu1
    As was pointed out once before in another thread, most suspension forks are positioned in the same way. So dirt and water shouldn't be a concern either.

good point. I never paid enough attention to compare it to front suspension, it was right in front of my face.

sock puppet

hehe... exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by aizu1
    case closed..

Members who have read this thread: 0