mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Tell me everything you don't like about your Moment!

I love the geometry and look of the Moment, yet have never had the opportunity to ride one. I'm a cross country rider primarily who wants a bike to grow with and become more aggressive. I was just wondering if you folks could give me some of your input. I trust reliability issues are a thing of the past with Ellsworth and were never and issue to begin with with the Moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The only thing I dont like about my Moment is that when I get back from riding it, I feel a huge urge to leave my fiance and move to somewhere with more hardcore trails!

I was in a similar position to you, in that although I'd been riding for nigh on 10 years, it was mostly cross country and I was wanting to step up my riding to something more aggresive. The Moment continues to deliver on the cross country front because its so damn efficient, yet it just encourages you to go crazy on the descents, throw yourself off drops and hit the jumps. Basically its the best bike I've ever ridden and the most fun bike I've ever ridden. You'll find yourself hitting the most challenging lines you can find and then just been blown away by how easily you made it through them.

The only possible downside I can think of is that my bike could be lighter for the climbs, but without the weight the bike just wouldnt be as strong and stiff. It still builds up comfortably at around 29-30 pound range with air shock and forks + decent kit. If that weight bothers you, consider the epiphany, judging by the posts on this forum they build up real light - but bear in mind you lose the strength and invincibility of the Moment.

Surveying the forums, their appears to be no issues with durability and no failures reported with the Moment, despite past bad press on Truths either!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks that's what I was hoping to hear.

I pretty much want a do-everything bike - and this will be my one mountain bike so I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm also very tempted by Ventana and I like the fact that I can call up and talk to Sherwood - it's just the geometry of his bikes are not quite there for me - the X-5 is too uncoventional, but has nice standover, while the Salty is great, but looks like the top-tube is a little higher than what I want. This is where the Moment comes in - it just looks like my dream bike. Hopefully, I'll be able to purchase one soon. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Newark
    The only thing I dont like about my Moment is that when I get back from riding it, I feel a huge urge to leave my fiance and move to somewhere with more hardcore trails!

I was in a similar position to you, in that although I'd been riding for nigh on 10 years, it was mostly cross country and I was wanting to step up my riding to something more aggresive. The Moment continues to deliver on the cross country front because its so damn efficient, yet it just encourages you to go crazy on the descents, throw yourself off drops and hit the jumps. Basically its the best bike I've ever ridden and the most fun bike I've ever ridden. You'll find yourself hitting the most challenging lines you can find and then just been blown away by how easily you made it through them.

The only possible downside I can think of is that my bike could be lighter for the climbs, but without the weight the bike just wouldnt be as strong and stiff. It still builds up comfortably at around 29-30 pound range with air shock and forks + decent kit. If that weight bothers you, consider the epiphany, judging by the posts on this forum they build up real light - but bear in mind you lose the strength and invincibility of the Moment.

Surveying the forums, their appears to be no issues with durability and no failures reported with the Moment, despite past bad press on Truths either!

Only One Way
    Sep 2004

one thing

Weight

But like the other posts it is worth it.. I road XC for about 12 years (first bike a fat chance) and I had a Truth before the Moment. I started doing allot of drops and when I started hitting stuff over 4 feet (Yea I know) I retired the Truth frame and now I ride the Moment.. I do use a 130MM vanilla RLC complete bike is 32Lbs.. Mine is quick on single track, I just feel the weight on the hills, except now I am MUCH faster going down, and this thing takes drops like they are nothing, What was killing me on the other bike feels natural on this one… and judging from some pics on here some guys will go bigger than I ever will (the older I get the less b@@ls I have)

I think you will like it allot, especially if you are like me and where sick of racing and tired of the CX thing, my ridding is much better now, looking for hard lines and cool stuff, I even like taking it for Urban rides..

I know I will stop now… but think first bike over 35 lbs.. worked for years to get it lighter and now I am going up again ??

C

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by java12
    I'm also very tempted by Ventana and I like the fact that I can call up and talk to Sherwood - it's just the geometry of his bikes are not quite there for me - the X-5 is too uncoventional, but has nice standover, while the Salty is great, but looks like the top-tube is a little higher than what I want.
    FYI...Ventana gives you the option to go semi or full custom on geometry. You can get a Salt built in the X-5 jig for the geometry of the X-5 and conventional look of the Salt.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Some of the graphics....

The ICT graphic / advertisement / billboard bugs me. Seems so out of place on a frame of this pedigree - nice welds, machining, finish, etc.

Tire clearance.

Deep cup headset / 6" fork issue re. warranty.

The ICT graphics really bug me the other two issues I can live with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thought the deep cup h/set thing was only for the fox forks with 36mm stanchions ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Number one complaint would have to be the added weight for hill climbs compared to a XC bike...a big difference when you go from the Truth to the Moment.

Time is not a road.
    Weight is always an issue, no matter what bike you ride. But I've noticed that it's only significant on the climb. As soon as the trail levels off, the bike is so efficient that the weight of it seems to melt away. It's a weird feeling and something you wouldn't expect in a bike that has 6" of travel.

One minor gripe, it could use an additional cable route guide under the TT for the disc cable and perhaps, too, for those that like to run full cable routing on their derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mickmc
    Thought the deep cup h/set thing was only for the fox forks with 36mm stanchions ?
    Only if you're hucking off huuuge drops or are particularly clumsy (at least thats what Freeborn told me). Otherwise, a standard Chris King (for instance) is deep enough for mere mortals...

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

2 things -

1. long wheel base = a bit sluggish on tight single track.
    2. weight = slower acceleration

The weight doesn't bother me on the technical climbs, but I notice the acceleration is slower when coming out tight corners. Mine weights about 31 lbs or so with 30mm rims and big tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A lot of us are bring up the weight issue but do keep in mind the Moment is NOT heavy compared to other bikes in the same class. In fact, it's probably on the lighter side in its class. It is only heavy when compared to XC bikes and it will be noticeable when you go from XC bikes to the Moment. It's a trade-off for its techinical descent and hucking prowess.

Time is not a road.
    True...and the choices I've made define how heavy the bike is ultimately. So it's not the bike's fault. There are really no traits of the bike either in performance, fit or finish that I "hate".

Honestly, there are very few places that I cannot ride the same as my old bike within reason and considering my "winter fitness"!

mtbr member

12,5 kg
    for me
    simply the best bike i ever ride
    for the moment

mtbr member
    sorry, their is nothing i dont like on my moment
    after a year off riding, it is like new

mtbr member

For those who mentioned weight

If you had the opportunity, would you trade your Moment for an Epiphany?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    If you had the opportunity, would you trade your Moment for an Epiphany?
    Only when I'm riding up the hill

So if you have an Epi come ride with me and we can trade when we encounter a hill...but I want it back once we get to the top

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    Only when I'm riding up the hill

So if you have an Epi come ride with me and we can trade when we encounter a hill...but I want it back once we get to the top
    No, sorry, I have a 575.

I used to have an Ells Isis before it was stolen and I've been eyeing the Epi since it came out. Looks like my kind of bike, except for the cost.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The 575 is no slouch going down. So I guess we'll have to tough it out together on the climbs and then bomb down the hill.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS

12,5 kg
    for me
    simply the best bike i ever ride
    for the moment
    What saddle is that? Me want one

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS
    12,5 kg
    for me simply the best bike i ever ride for the moment
    An RP3 and 32 TALAS on a Moment?!!!

Why not sell the frame and get an Epiphany and save some weight? It'll probably ride similar as the component specs on that Moment steepens the bike's geometry.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 02-01-2006 at 09:47 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    i allso have a epiphany (for cross country)

i love my moment to do everry thing, the perfect all mountain
    and the 2005 finishing is extremly hard
    here in south off Paris (france) we have a lot off rock

Brass Nipples!

I second SixZeroSixOne's comments

Quote Originally Posted by mickmc
    It's not REQUIRED for any fork, but recommended for the big travel forks. I think the wording was ovalized head tubes won't be covered under warranty or something similar.

When I examined the head tube, I saw that there is a lot of material there. I don't think many people could ovalize the head tube even with a (properly installed) regular headset.

I think the Moment is a great do everything 6 inch travel bike. There's really nothing I don't like about it. "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Bonus points for ID of the movie quote above.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

travel by stoat!!!

Things I don't like - but live with for the ride

1) My black ano 2004 version doesn't clean up well - seems like mud somehow lodges in the surface finish of the anodising. It looks OK wet, but always looks a bit muddy dry
    2) I scrapped a setpost due to blast cleaning balls in the top tube - I'd hope this has been resolved with the move in-house but don't knoiw. Suspect it also cost me a BB external bearing.Had to send it beack to Freeborn for them to clean out ( and they did give me a new Thomson post).

But;

It rides fantastically, and flatters my limited skills. If it was nicked I would spend the insurance on another one identical the next day (perhaps blue)
    TEAM POTH (Push On The Hills)

Just another FOCer
    Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    ..."If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Bonus points for ID of the movie quote above.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hey Eat,

Try the armor all wipes, you'll be amazed at how the shot peened ano looks after cleaning it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatingchandeliers
    2) I scrapped a setpost due to blast cleaning balls in the top tube - I'd hope this has been resolved with the move in-house but don't knoiw. Suspect it also cost me a BB external bearing.Had to send it beack to Freeborn for them to clean out ( and they did give me a new Thomson post).)
    Blasting beads have been a problem but it's not limited to the Moment, the Truth has the same issue as well as other brands that shot peen. Ellsworth is no longer shot peening for 2006 so this will not be an issue anymore.

The Thomson on my wife's Truth has been badly scratched, and this happened after a year's riding. The seat tube was cleaned when the frame was first prepped but I think more beads migrated out of the top tube later. The tube holes in my Moment have been sealed with insulation foam to prevent the beads from migrating.

Brass Nipples!

We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Bueller, Bueller, Bueller...
    Strong work Winston.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    The Thomson on my wife's Truth has been badly scratched, and this happened after a year's riding. The seat tube was cleaned when the frame was first prepped but I think more beads migrated out of the top tube later. The tube holes in my Moment have been sealed with insulation foam to prevent the beads from migrating.
    Reason # 1,102 not to buy a carbon seatpost

travel by stoat!!!

Where can I get armor all wipes?

Quote Originally Posted by SprocketHead
    Hey Eat,

Try the armor all wipes, you'll be amazed at how the shot peened ano looks after cleaning it.
    Thanks for the tip - I don't know anything about these goodies
    TEAM POTH (Push On The Hills)

5 x 5

Weaknesses are relative

1A. To quote someone from the boards here, "Sometimes the Moment feels like I'm driving a bus through the woods." Meaning it's not the quickest handling bike ever. Wheelbase? Head angle? If you're coming from an XC racer you're going to run wide on some turns getting used to your new steed.

1B. This weakness is in direct proportion to the Moment's chief strength: super stability downhill. Coming from XC (as I did), it's kind of hard to understand until you feel it for yourself the first time: some rocky obstacle that should have catapulted you headlong instead disappears beneath your wheels, leaving you adrenalized and impressed with yourself... and searching out more obstacles to ride over.

2A. Climbing geometry. Coming from XC, you'll notice the Moment wandering. And you'll notice how much less effective hammering out of the saddle can be.

2B. See 1B above. Plus, a fork like the Marz AM1 can be locked down 100mm or so, which goes a long way. Plus, when you get used to staying seated (i.e. develop even stronger "seated" muscles), you'll be amazed at the loose, rocky stuff you can ride up.

3A. ICT Graphics: Suck

3B. Actually, there's nothing relative about this. It's ugly. You can't even scrape it off, due to shot-peened finish. Buzz kill. I think I'm gonna cover it with a sticker.

Note to Chad: Jensen (and others) sell stick-on cable guides. I put TWO additional under my TT (I can't stand noise) plus one on my fork. Cost about $2.50 per. Fix and forget.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eatingchandeliers
    Thanks for the tip - I don't know anything about these goodies
    I got them at Kragen Auto Parts. They're nationwide, but the shop might be a different name in other regions. You can probably find them at WalMart in the auto care section too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Wrong Info

Hey Eating,

I gave you the wrong info, I meant to say Pledge Wipes. They work great. I've got Armor All wipes, but I haven't tried them on my bikes yet. The Pledge Wipes idea came from my LBS.

Members who have read this thread: 0