earth surfer

Talas Rear shock on ID

Anyone running a 200mm Talas rear shock on their ID or know if it will fit and work? Seems it would allow you to switch on the fly between the standard setup to a 'near' Cali-edition geometry by changing the i2i from 200mm to 194mm or 187mm approximately...if my math is correct.
    Thanx!
    Last edited by epicmtbruce; 01-22-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Up & Down

Works OK

I've been using a Talas rear shock on my Id for 2 seasons. It fits fine and works well. I wish it had a handle bar mounted adjust switch, but reaching down isn't too bad. I also wish the spring rate would stay consistant as you adjust travel. As you decrease the i2i, the air volume decreases and the shock gets more stiff. It's not dramatic, but sometimes if I know I'll be doing more down than up, I'll soften the shock a touch. It's a comprimised setup. I'm able to tweak the geometry, but shocks like the RP3 and DHX air are better performing shocks, and I know I'm losing out on rear suspension performance. I think the Talas is OK if you're planning on using it on trails that aren't very technical and aren't covered with roots, rock gardens, and studder bumps.

mtbr member
    I've been running that shock on my Id for months.
    I dont' agree at all with it not being great on technical stuff though. I"m in Tulsa, OK right now and have ridden all around the area. It's some of the nastiest, rockiest, rootiest mess I've ever seen and my Id works like a dream...same as it has all over the country.

Members who have read this thread: 0