mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Some questions about Truth

Hi all,

I just bought a new used Truth with a 200mm eye to eye length 5th Element air can.

1) How do I know which year this frame was made? By the first 2 numbers of the serial numbers located at the bottom of the BB and chainstays?

2) I do not think the frame is rated to take a 200mm shock. I hear that its usually 165 or 185. Am I correct?

3) Can anyone point me to instructions on how to setup the shock? (air pressure tables or something)

Thanks in advance! : )

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The older Truth uses 6.75" ete and 1.5" stroke.

The later Truth uses 7.875" ete and 2" stroke.

Judging from the Ells frames that I have, it appears the first two numerical digits indicate the year that the part was manufacturered. The front triangle, chain stay yoke and dropout all have different numbers.

You can find the right air pressure to use by measuring the sag of the shock. Usually 25% to 33% of the shock stroke. For Fox shocks it's approximately 1 psi for per pound of body weight.

sock puppet

if the shock...

Quote Originally Posted by uncaloke
    Hi all,

I just bought a new used Truth with a 200mm eye to eye length 5th Element air can.

1) How do I know which year this frame was made? By the first 2 numbers of the serial numbers located at the bottom of the BB and chainstays?

2) I do not think the frame is rated to take a 200mm shock. I hear that its usually 165 or 185. Am I correct?

3) Can anyone point me to instructions on how to setup the shock? (air pressure tables or something)

Thanks in advance! : )
    came with the bike, it is at least 2004 model frame with 2:1 rocker ratio (as opposed to 3:1 on older models)... That is the latest design and has proven bullet proof (i have been riding mine since Dec 2003 without any problems - i am 210 pounds and ride XC aggressively).

to setup the 5th element - hmmm... if it is factory shock, here is what i had for my weight (yes, 5th element came with my frame - per my request).

i had big chamber at 110psi adn IFP chamber (small one) at 85 psi... this provided for a pretty stiff but not harsh ride and this was the setup that i was using when racing... rebound adjust should be in the middle and go from there...

i liked 5th element when properly setup...

Members who have read this thread: 0