Time is not a road.

Saturday ride report

So, I got out for a nice ride on Sat, but it turned into something not so fun. And perhaps an Ellsworth first (maybe)...

About halfway through the ride on one of the rockiest parts of the trail, I faltered, spilled sideways and my bike slammed down hard on a rock, bending the hanger and destroying the derailleur. It's now at the doctors awaiting some parts. Prior to that, I hit a big jump and pinched the rear tube. It would be my second flat of the day...the second being suffered in the same crash that took the spirit from my X.9.

Being effectively SOL, I created a SS Moment and limped back to the trailhead (on a leaky front tire, no less) and a waiting wife(her= ).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Time is not a road.
    I was really trying to get the suspension dialed in, setting sag specifically and such. At 15-20% of travel on the fork, the AM 1 seems really mushy to me. I bumped up the pressure a little before I hit dirt, but that sag setting was just crap.

More pics: (sorry double pic on Longs Peak )

Time is not a road.
    And so, the aftermath and an artist rendering of the suspects...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sorry to hear about your mishaps. I'm glad you came out OK. The parts are going to cost you a few bucks but it's much better than suffering an injury. I fell sideway on a fast, sandy fireroad turn last August and I'm still struggling with a left shoulder pain.

It could be worse, the rock could've put a dent in your new frame

Now, which one of those fireroads did you destroy your derailleur on?

Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    So, I got out for a nice ride on Sat, but it turned into something not so fun. And perhaps an Ellsworth first (maybe)...

About halfway through the ride on one of the rockiest parts of the trail, I faltered, spilled sideways and my bike slammed down hard on a rock, bending the hanger and destroying the derailleur. It's now at the doctors awaiting some parts. Prior to that, I hit a big jump and pinched the rear tube. It would be my second flat of the day...the second being suffered in the same crash that took the spirit from my X.9.

Being effectively SOL, I created a SS Moment and limped back to the trailhead (on a leaky front tire, no less) and a waiting wife(her= ).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Stop using tubes!

2 flats? You need go get Stan's tire stuff and stop using tubes. I have over 3 years of riding on non-tubeless tires and have never gotten a flat.

Try it, you'll love it!

Jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I was really trying to get the suspension dialed in, setting sag specifically and such. At 15-20% of travel on the fork, the AM 1 seems really mushy to me. I bumped up the pressure a little before I hit dirt, but that sag setting was just crap.

More pics: (sorry double pic on Longs Peak )
    How many psi do you put in that AM1? I've been setting mine at 18 psi and I get about 25% sag on the 150mm of travel. I weigh 165 w/ gear. I run it on the softest compression damping setting. The fork feels a bit soft but is plush. On the last ride I upped it to 20 psi but that made it feel a little too firm. I didn't think 2 psi would make that much difference.

BTW, I don't know how many rides you had on that AM1 yet but it took me a good 4-5 rides before it was broken in.

Also, I lost the stupid red rubber air valve plug already

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    How many psi do you put in that AM1? I've been setting mine at 18 psi and I get about 25% sag on the 150mm of travel. I weigh 165 w/ gear. I run it on the softest compression damping setting. The fork feels a bit soft but is plush. On the last ride I upped it to 20 psi but that made it feel a little too firm. I didn't think 2 psi would make that much difference.

BTW, I don't know how many rides you had on that AM1 yet but it took me a good 4-5 rides before it was broken in.

Also, I lost the stupid red rubber air valve plug already
    I dropped it down to 15psi from like 30 or so. But I weigh 175 w/o gear. Then I bumped it to 20psi. I'll probably go right in between.

The thing I can't get used to yet is the long travel. When my Marathon dived and sagged, it really didn't affect the bike so much as when this one does. It's a work in progress. I find that I like riding the bike in the DS setting most. Where I ride, I tend to get a lot of drops and square edge rocks, so keeping the fork high in its travel helps keep the momentum up...

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubleoh9
    2 flats? You need go get Stan's tire stuff and stop using tubes. I have over 3 years of riding on non-tubeless tires and have never gotten a flat.

Try it, you'll love it!

Jim
    Indeed...that will have to be my next upgrade. I should have gone tubeless when I got the new wheels last spring, but they were a bit more than I wanted to spend. However, at this point, I've spent so much on tubes that I could have gotten those rims anyway!

I've seen tubeless tires leak, but not anymore than tubed tires.

Gotta have something to upgrade to!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I ran the rim strip kit he sells in my non-tubeless rims for a year or so before I upgraded to tubeless rims. It worked great. I always run regular tires with the Stan's sealant...never a problem, sometimes just takes a little extra to do the initial leak stopping. Best upgrade ever.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubleoh9
    I ran the rim strip kit he sells in my non-tubeless rims for a year or so before I upgraded to tubeless rims. It worked great. I always run regular tires with the Stan's sealant...never a problem, sometimes just takes a little extra to do the initial leak stopping. Best upgrade ever.
    Which tires are you running? I don't want to lose my Kendas and Kenda does not recommend Stan's with their tires - corrodes the rubber.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I dropped it down to 15psi from like 30 or so. But I weigh 175 w/o gear. Then I bumped it to 20psi. I'll probably go right in between.

The thing I can't get used to yet is the long travel. When my Marathon dived and sagged, it really didn't affect the bike so much as when this one does. It's a work in progress. I find that I like riding the bike in the DS setting most. Where I ride, I tend to get a lot of drops and square edge rocks, so keeping the fork high in its travel helps keep the momentum up...
    That's a huge difference going from 30 to 15! No wonder it felt mushy. At 175 I think 20psi is within range. If the fork isn't fully broken in there are stiction in the seals and it won't sag readily when you sit on the bike, therefore prompting you to set a lower than necessary psi when you try to dial in the fork sag at the desired percentage.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    That's a huge difference going from 30 to 15! No wonder it felt mushy. At 175 I think 20psi is within range. If the fork isn't fully broken in there are stiction in the seals and it won't sag readily when you sit on the bike, therefore prompting you to set a lower than necessary psi when you try to dial in the fork sag at the desired percentage.
    There is definitely still some stiction in the seals yet. That's why I went to 20 psi before I hit the trail. 15 was way too little.

I'd like to get a 0-100psi shock to measure PSIs more accurately. I think that would be ideal with fork pressures like Marzocchi's where it's really never more than 50psi, depending on the fork, except the SLs of course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Which tires are you running? I don't want to lose my Kendas and Kenda does not recommend Stan's with their tires - corrodes the rubber.
    I run Specialized Enduro 2bliss 2.4 in the front and Maxxis UST High Roller Supertacky 2.35 in the back. Both with Stan's. I have UST rims.

Kenda doesn't recommend ANY BRAND of sealant with their tires. I think it's a CYA move on Kenda's part and there doesn't appear to be many reported case here at MTBR with blistering Kendas due to Stan's.

I run UST Kenda Karmas on my wife's Truth with Stan's sealant for over a year now and I don't see any problem. I recently purchased UST Nevegals to replace the Karmas and I plan to put Stan's in the Nevegals too. I will post on MTBR if I encounter any problem.

The way I see it, tires are fairly cheap so I don't care if I void the warranty using Stan's. How many people take their tires back for warranty anyhow? UST tires do get less flats I think. I run them on my wife and my bike for over a year now and neither of us has ever flatted out. I think I've only witnessed the Stan's at work once in that time. I put Stan in there for flat insurance as well as to slow down the normal air seepage. I still lose close to 10 psi in a week or two though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There is definitely still some stiction in the seals yet. That's why I went to 20 psi before I hit the trail. 15 was way too little.

I'd like to get a 0-100psi shock to measure PSIs more accurately. I think that would be ideal with fork pressures like Marzocchi's where it's really never more than 50psi, depending on the fork, except the SLs of course.
    I have not found any pump that has 1 pound increments. One pound makes a big difference for the AM1. Luckily I have this old Trek pressure gauge from eons ago (back to the days when Marzocchi came out with its first 1" air/oil bike fork, which was crap btw) that shows pressure in 1 pound increment and it has a thumb-screw type air release valve to fine tune air pressure. I hook up the Trek gauge directly to the fork adaptor and screw a shock pump to the Trek gauge. It works great but is too clunky for the trail.

aka baycat
    Did you have to singlespeed that puppy far?

Goregeous trails BTW

Just another FOCer

Beware the Stans burp

Be careful running the Stans kit with standard rims & tires. They have a tendancy to burp in chunky sections.

Having run both tubeless options I think UST rims and UST tires with a scoop of Stans sealant is the way to go.

Hope your ride is fixed soon.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've run Mythos XC 1.95, 2.1, Trail Bear...my buddies have run Kendas...no problems with the Stan's. I'm 230 in full gear and have run really rocky stuff at down to 25 psi and have never had a burp, tear, or flat.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Did you have to singlespeed that puppy far?

Goregeous trails BTW
    About 3 miles, mostly DH, so I was lucky in that regard!

Members who have read this thread: 0