Clownhiller

romic spring weight.

Hello Everyone. New to the forum as have just purchased an Id! It came with a 400lb Romic spring,but I weigh 161lb with my gear on and I cannot get the Preload correct.
    (its also my first full sus-so am guessing spring is loose and rattly-move collar down thread to contact spring-the 3 turns rule starts from there?) Sorry for the stupid question but I have ordered a 450lb spring x 2.25(the 400lb spring is also a 2.25) Having read some of the setups I guess this would be about right? Cheers for any forthcoming advice.
    Clownhiller.

sock puppet

yes, you are correct in your guessing...

Quote Originally Posted by clownhiller
    Hello Everyone. New to the forum as have just purchased an Id! It came with a 400lb Romic spring,but I weigh 161lb with my gear on and I cannot get the Preload correct.
    (its also my first full sus-so am guessing spring is loose and rattly-move collar down thread to contact spring-the 3 turns rule starts from there?) Sorry for the stupid question but I have ordered a 450lb spring x 2.25(the 400lb spring is also a 2.25) Having read some of the setups I guess this would be about right? Cheers for any forthcoming advice.
    Clownhiller.
    450lb spring should help if you couldnt set the preload with the 400 one... use collar to set the tension on the spring and in turn to set the correct preload...

then, start looking for a good air shock...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    As OSO mentioned....you are correct in your assumptions.

The Romic is a great shock. It's had some reliability issues, but when it works....it's great. I prefer a coil shock to an air shock on a bike like the ID. A coil shock allows you to set the preload independently of the spring rate. You can't do that wih an air shock.

Also....regarding the 400# spring. Since it's a 2.0" stroke shock and a 2.25 spring...you can try a bit more preload and see if it works for you. If it does...you may like the plush ride. 4...or even 5 turns will be ok and won't hurt the shock or bike since it's only a 400# spring.

I ride a 5" stroke bike with a 450# ( 4 turns of preload) spring and I weight 180 - 185# with gear. It's great.

Are you talking to me?

Try here?

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm
    This is a decent spring rate calculator.

http://www.mojo.co.uk/springs-calc.shtml
    This one is for Fox shocks.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

450# should be the ticket

clownhiller,

I'm about the same weight, maybe 5 lbs lighter and have a couple threads on here talking about dialing in the rear of my ID this summer. I started with the 2" stroke Romic and it took a 450# spring OR 4+ turns on the 400# to get the sag right. The 450 worked really well and only occasionally bottomed out. I bought a second Romic used with the 2.25" stroke and that works great with the 400# spring. I do think it climbed a hair better with the stiffer spring, but overall, I really like my 6" travel ID. Currently, I'm keeping the 2" Romic as a backup.

The ID was so plush this weekend in the 24hrs of Moab. I may have gotten spanked by everyone on the smooth long climbs, but I never got passed on a downhill, and cleaned all the rocky climbs (Other than Nose Dive) sometimes avoiding the main line and choosing the 1 foot step-ups

It was like a "Truth" convention down there.

Clownhiller
    Thanks all for your considered and enlightened opinions and info. Really appreciate it!
    I have subsequently put on a 450 spring and although didnt have time to test the sag and preload collar turns(babies/children/mothers/work!) will test tonight when I get home. Then its maiden voyage time in Wales at the weekend!
    Will let everyone know how my first full sus venture went.

Members who have read this thread: 0