mtbr member

question about frame size

Hi,

I have a question relating to frame size selection for ellsworth. I was going to get an Id but since it was sold out and discontined I have been getting build kit together and it's looking a trick epiphany when it arrives. I would like comments on the height selection criteria for rider height of 184 cm or 6 foot which fits into ellworths large or medium and I noticed the a few riders 5'11 and 6' going for the mediums?

"Its All Good"
    I am 6'3, I ride a large ID. It is a hard one, are you long in the upper body. I get on my buddies medium ID, and it feels tiny to me. Try and get a ride on a medium & LARGE if possible. You can always put a longer stem on etc, good luck. Plenty of time though, until that beast the EPHIANY arrives..................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    I struggled with that very decision - I'm 6 ft., and when I rode the large (19") Moment, it "just" fit, and that was with a 100mm stem & straight seat post, so When I ordered my Epiphany, I opted for the Med, with hope that I'll have more flexibility in cockpit set-up. I'm a bit nervous about the decision, but I'll let you know how it feels when I get it next month.

(I ordered the set-back seatpost & 110mm stem to compensate).

I'll warn you, the 19" Moment feels really big. Looking at the geometry of the three sizes of the Moment/Epiphany, I think they should be considered as Medium, Large, and X-Large, as opposed to Small, Medium, Large.

mtbr member
    Note that this relates to the fit on a Truth.

I'm 6 foot with longish arms and torso in comparison to leg length (32" inseam). My medium truth fits me incredibly well with a 120mm stem.

I have good friends who are 5'11 to 6 foot who ride larges with shorter stems. The difference is that they have longer legs than me. Their bikes feel ridiculously tall when I sit on them- but I also like a small bike (my trailbike is a 17" non-E).

Hope some of this helps- I think this bridge is decided by individual physique.

Peace, Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Same as Brown

I'm also 6ft, 32" inseam and I ride a Med Truth. It fits me like a glove and I prefer going with the smaller size since it's easier to flick the bike around.

On the new Moments, I just couldn't get comfortable on the Large or Med. The med frames felt a too small and the large frame felt to big. I had a really hard time trying to easily lift the front end up on the large. This experience is not only from one bike, I rode several Moments from the Ells booth and also my LBS.

The fit was one of the reasons I didn't opt for the trade in program. I did demo an Intense 6.6 this weekend and I must say, I was totally blown away by the bike. The fit was fantastic and I couldn't believe how well the bike pedaled uphill. It was no slouch downhill either as the 6.75" rear was super plush and felt endless.

Brass Nipples!
    I"m 6 foot and 1/2 of an inch with a 34 inch inseam and the Large fits me well. I do have long arms (6' 3" fingertip to fingertip). I was running a 120 mm stem which felt great for XC, but during my recent Moab trip I downsized to a 100 mm stem which has proven better for more aggressive riding.

Use a current bike you feel you fit well and compare the top tube lengths. You also need to be sure you have at least adequate standover.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

banned
    Mar 2005
    i'm 5' 9'' with a 30" inseam...my med Id is a perfect fit, except that the standover takes a little getting used to...i now sing soprano in the church choir

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    i'm 5' 9'' with a 30" inseam...my med Id is a perfect fit, except that the standover takes a little getting used to...i now sing soprano in the church choir
    It took me 10 seconds just to understand the last sentence.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I ride an 05 Truth medium..........6" tall 34 inseam.

The bike is waaaay to small for me........I am trading it in for a large ASAP !!

2 cent.
    Hello from Colorful Colorado

sock puppet

6', 33" inseam - large Truth '04

Quote Originally Posted by Trekster
    I ride an 05 Truth medium..........6" tall 34 inseam.

The bike is waaaay to small for me........I am trading it in for a large ASAP !!

2 cent.
    fits like a glove...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    fits like a glove...
    thanks for the input. Not many Ellswoth demos getting around in my hood so no chance of a test ride. So being an ellsworth virgin I can only go off experience and quality advise I can get. My racer is 57cm Lemond frame which is perfect fit, I don't really know the size of my steel hard tail but I guess its large which is OK and my wife new bike is Scott M size and I can ride it if I put the seat right up but me thinks too small. I think it's safer to go with large. Anyone have any idea on a release date cause I haven't been able to pre-order as yet?
    Cheers
    Jimmy

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    oh ya !!

Im praying that the large Epiphany will be a glove fit for me, cause I just plunked a whole ton of cash into one....fox talas xtt ordered to go with..along with FSA bits and crossmax sl wheels...el comino brakes.

I have a feeling I will be looking at all my accessories for a while...Epiphany is in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    fits like a glove...

mtbr member
    Indeed, have managed to get one pre-ordered now so will be the first in my street with one. Yes indeed have parted with some serious buscuit on da project, sram x-o triggers, rear, juicy carbons, thomsons masterpiece, spinergy xclone, fsa mega exo etc etc. The only part not top of the line is the recon 351 rock shock coilly. All told about 5 g of deadly tready waiting for Ells to stop being a hold out and give us the fruit. Must go riding !!!!!! Must go riding !!!!!! Must go riding !!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    LOL.....:-)
    MUST RIDE..........I will be on a fully rigid SingleSpeed untill my new Epiphany arrives.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy L
    thanks for the input. Not many Ellswoth demos getting around in my hood so no chance of a test ride. So being an ellsworth virgin I can only go off experience and quality advise I can get. My racer is 57cm Lemond frame which is perfect fit, I don't really know the size of my steel hard tail but I guess its large which is OK and my wife new bike is Scott M size and I can ride it if I put the seat right up but me thinks too small. I think it's safer to go with large. Anyone have any idea on a release date cause I haven't been able to pre-order as yet?
    Cheers
    Jimmy
    Jimmy,

These are scary, scary times, I too am 6' but ordered the Epiphany in a 17". I think you'll be fine though, but Let me know how the 19" works out.

It certainly felt odd, when I ordered the 17", when for my whole life i've ridden "large bikes". But, I labored over the geometry (on paper) and the 17" Epiphany still has a longer top tube than my current 18" hard tail, plus I test rode a 19" Moment, and I'll comfort you by saying that it fit, but I would say that it "just" fit, so i figured that i'd like to have a little more adjustability and gambled with ordering the 17" (wish I was able to test ride a 17" Moment before makng this decision). Either way, this bike will be in limited production for a while, and assuming you got in early enough toget one of the 1st 50 Epiphanies that will go out later this month, it will be very easy to resell the frame for close to retail to get a diffefnt size, if need be.

Thats just the price of purchasing cutting edge technology - I have had to purchase my last 3 bikes this way (preproduction), and it never gets easier. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I am 5'9 with about a 31.5 - 32 seam. The medium truth for me is perfect with a 100mm stem

Trail rider and racer
    I am 5' 11" or 181cm or thereabouts and ride a medium truth with 120mm stem. Frame is perfect particularly TT length but would prefer a little more seat tube.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy L
    Indeed, have managed to get one pre-ordered now so will be the first in my street with one. Yes indeed have parted with some serious buscuit on da project, sram x-o triggers, rear, juicy carbons, thomsons masterpiece, spinergy xclone, fsa mega exo etc etc. The only part not top of the line is the recon 351 rock shock coilly. All told about 5 g of deadly tready waiting for Ells to stop being a hold out and give us the fruit. Must go riding !!!!!! Must go riding !!!!!! Must go riding !!!!!!
    Jimmy,

I originally ordered the Talas fork, but then changed my mind...I am going with the Revelation 426 poploc adjust, check it out, I think it will be a killer match with the Epiphany. (not to mention, my black Epiphany with the black RS Revelation will be a viscious sight!)

It shoud be just about 2 or 3 weeks till we get our bikes right?!!

General Build:
    Black Medium Epiphany (I'm 6' with about 34 inseam - 170Lbs.)
    RS Revelation
    Thompson X4 & Masterpeice set back
    717 (Black) - CX-Rays (black) - Chris King (Black)
    Black Chris King head set
    XO twister - XO Rear Del.
    XTR Front Del.
    XTR Cranks
    Juicy Carbon W/Dirty Dog MTB Skull Rotors
    WTB Stealth Ti
    Shimano 959

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    Jimmy,

I originally ordered the Talas fork, but then changed my mind...I am going with the Revelation 426 poploc adjust, check it out, I think it will be a killer match with the Epiphany. (not to mention, my black Epiphany with the black RS Revelation will be a viscious sight!)

It shoud be just about 2 or 3 weeks till we get our bikes right?!!

General Build:
    Black Medium Epiphany (I'm 6' with about 34 inseam - 170Lbs.)
    RS Revelation
    Thompson X4 & Masterpeice set back
    717 (Black) - CX-Rays (black) - Chris King (Black)
    Black Chris King head set
    XO twister - XO Rear Del.
    XTR Front Del.
    XTR Cranks
    Juicy Carbon W/Dirty Dog MTB Skull Rotors
    WTB Stealth Ti
    Shimano 959
    you be a lucky sod riding in 3 weeks, sorces tell me 6 dec and at least another two months general retail release.

mtbr member
    Hi Guys,

I'm bumping this thread back to the top due issues with the large epiphany framesets. It would seem there is some production issues with the large size framesets and the one's that have gone are sold out. The medium & small frames are available now, so once again I would apprieciate any comments from members about their ride frame size?

In the meantime I will review the data base and previous comments, check measure existing frames and take some advise before ordering or opting to wait cheers

Jimmy

height 6.03 ft/ 184cm
    in step/seam 35in/ 89 cm

mtbr member
    I think they still have a large green frame available at BioWheels. Full retail, www.biowheels.com
    Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0