mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Proud owner of new Epiphany...

Hi all.

This is my first post to the group, but have been reading for a while (have a '05 Truth) anyways I would like to share pictures of my Xmas present:Black Epiphany with RP3. !!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

very nice..

I too have an 05 Truth and was considering the Epi. How does she ride? Can you comment on the Epi's climbing ablity compared to that of your Truth?

trail fairy
    Very nice, and a sweet spec as well, yes indeed give us some ride impressions!! Comparisons to any other Ellsworths you may have ridden as well as your Truth, and weight!

Enjoy!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Excellent, excellent, excellent build Hangfire!

You are now making me question some of my build choices i made on my Epi - I HATE YOU!

I never even considered Stans rims when I got my new bike, how do you like them?? Also, can you tell us what you think of the gravity dropper? Isn't it redundant to run the seat post QR now that you've got the gravity droppper?

So I see you got the large and what appears to be a 110 stem, how tall are you?

-Pusher

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Epi's First ride...

Well today I got to try the new Epi.... Wow!

1. I did not find any real difference in climbing ability compared to the truth. One thing I did notice is that the front end of the bike feels a lot higher (100mm vs. 130mm), So I'm sure that on very steep hills I will have to drop the TALAS from 130-120mm, Actually I've been thinking of leaving it at 120mm since it feels more like the truth...

2. On the technical rock garden, WOW! it makes a huge difference. The rock garden is full of 1-2ft. drops and 1ft rocks. With the Epi I can really just point straight down and not worry much about the line. The Truth, having less travel, did pretty well but I had to work more... :-)

3. The fun part was doing hops over lugs and stuff. It seemed to me that the extra travel allowed me to pump the suspension more and get more clearance over obsticles, also the landing was smooth as butter. This bike really wants to do more technical stuff than the Truth.

4. I do feel the bike handles differently on tight singletracks, but I'm sure I'll be able to get the right riding style down.

5. On not so technical downhills, the bikes longer wheelbase (and fork angle) makes one work less and stay seated....

Quote Originally Posted by shrub
    I too have an 05 Truth and was considering the Epi. How does she ride? Can you comment on the Epi's climbing ablity compared to that of your Truth?

___________o
    ------- _`\<,_ ~~ It is better to have done ~~
    ------ (*)/ (*) ~~ too much than not enough. ~~

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Epi weight.

I moved all the components from my Truth to the Epi, and I took the chance to weight the frames. The epi was almost exactly .25lbs more...

My Truth was 26.75 lbs (with 2.3 UST tires and Gravity dropper seatpost - both add a lot)...

The Epi build ended at 27.5lbs with the TALAS 130mm fork V.S. Float 100mm

I really did not notice the added weight! I think is because of where it was added...

QUOTE=trailadvent]Very nice, and a sweet spec as well, yes indeed give us some ride impressions!! Comparisons to any other Ellsworths you may have ridden as well as your Truth, and weight!

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

___________o

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: Epi build

Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    Excellent, excellent, excellent build Hangfire!
    You are now making me question some of my build choices i made on my Epi - I HATE YOU!
    Oopps, thanks.... The build was a carry over from my Truth that went though many, many, tests/upgrades..

So I see you got the large and what appears to be a 110 stem, how tall are you?
    -Pusher
    My frame is medium (17")! I did have the same impression as you when I picked it up at the LBS, the frame looks BIG...I placed it next to my medium Truth frame (18") and they had the same seatpost to stem length.... And you're right, the stem is 110mm...

never even considered Stans rims when I got my new bike, how do you like them??
    I'm 5;10.5", 220lbs...So going into the Stans Olympic 326gr. rims was a gamble! I had them made with Dave @dreamwheels. After talking with Dave, he beleived that built correctly they can be used for Xcountry @my weight. The problem is that in the past year I have been riding more and more aggresive. So far, no problems. I do take them to the LBS every 2 months to check truing and do LITTLE tunes... I expect them to last for a long time since I use 2.3tires in front and 2.1 in rear with 30lbs pressure (I beleive this protects more the rim, right?) , also were I ride there are very few large drops. I do love that they are super lightweight since I use the stans yellow tape to seal the rim and use UST tires.

I have the same set on my wife's Titus and with converted (no tubes) 1.95 tires they are sick light. (She is only 110lbs..)

I do plan on getting a stronger/heavier set for when I go on trips to the mountains in USA.

I Also, can you tell us what you think of the gravity dropper? Isn't it redundant to run the seat post QR now that you've got the gravity droppper?
    I Love the gravity dropper. On nasty drops I feel much more secure. I still have the QR while I find the right spot. With the GD I can run the seat higher that I used to... Also I have the 2" only drop, they make 3" and 4" but I did not like them since pedaling is not possible. I like a very high seat to pedal long climbs, flats; I use the 2" lower on technical stuff.. Is easy to get addicted. I also like having the remote, it is a pain to run another cable, but makes it easy to change depending on terrain....

Now it does add weight... Probably more than 2x the weight of the Thomson it replaced. When I ordered it, they did tell me they were working on a lighter one...

___________o

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hangfire
    Oopps, thanks.... The build was a carry over from my Truth that went though many, many, tests/upgrades..

My frame is medium (17")! I did have the same impression as you when I picked it up at the LBS, the frame looks BIG...I placed it next to my medium Truth frame (18") and they had the same seatpost to stem length.... And you're right, the stem is 110mm...

I'm 5;10.5", 220lbs...So going into the Stans Olympic 326gr. rims was a gamble! I had them made with Dave @dreamwheels. After talking with Dave, he beleived that built correctly they can be used for Xcountry @my weight. The problem is that in the past year I have been riding more and more aggresive. So far, no problems. I do take them to the LBS every 2 months to check truing and do LITTLE tunes... I expect them to last for a long time since I use 2.3tires in front and 2.1 in rear with 30lbs pressure (I beleive this protects more the rim, right?) , also were I ride there are very few large drops. I do love that they are super lightweight since I use the stans yellow tape to seal the rim and use UST tires.

I have the same set on my wife's Titus and with converted (no tubes) 1.95 tires they are sick light. (She is only 110lbs..)

I do plan on getting a stronger/heavier set for when I go on trips to the mountains in USA.

I Love the gravity dropper. On nasty drops I feel much more secure. I still have the QR while I find the right spot. With the GD I can run the seat higher that I used to... Also I have the 2" only drop, they make 3" and 4" but I did not like them since pedaling is not possible. I like a very high seat to pedal long climbs, flats; I use the 2" lower on technical stuff.. Is easy to get addicted. I also like having the remote, it is a pain to run another cable, but makes it easy to change depending on terrain....

Now it does add weight... Probably more than 2x the weight of the Thomson it replaced. When I ordered it, they did tell me they were working on a lighter one...
    Oh yeah, I meant Medium frame size -oops!

With the gravity dropper, i was under the impression that with the 3 & 4" models you could drop the seat in increments, maybe I missunderstood. That WOULD be a bummer if you can't b/c I too don't like to pedel with my seat down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re...

Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    Oh yeah, I meant Medium frame size -oops!

With the gravity dropper, i was under the impression that with the 3 & 4" models you could drop the seat in increments, maybe I missunderstood. That WOULD be a bummer if you can't b/c I too don't like to pedel with my seat down.
    I had the 3" to start with and only 2 settings. It would be possible to have a couple of different height settings, but the problem would be how would you select between them? You could have the 4" with a 2" 'in-between' stop, but you would have to push the lever to start movement, then release it right after a 1/2" movement and not to fast lower it until it stopped at 2". It might actually be easier than it sounds, but someone would have to try.

___________o

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I got a GravityDropper for Xmas. It's the best damn accessory I've ever tried. The version I got is the 3" drop, 3 position. That means it can drop 0", 1" or 3".

It's perfect for all rides. I climb using the seat at full extension. When I get to tight singletrack, or mildly technical stuff, I drop it 1". If I hit a steep drop or want to launch, I drop it 3". It's easy to use and works perfectly. I couldn't recommend a better accessory for a bike.

mtbr member
    I moved all the components from my Truth to the Epi, and I took the chance to weight the frames. The epi was almost exactly .25lbs more...

My Truth was 26.75 lbs (with 2.3 UST tires and Gravity dropper seatpost - both add a lot)...

The Epi build ended at 27.5lbs with the TALAS 130mm fork V.S. Float 100mm

I really did not notice the added weight! I think is because of where it was added...

QUOTE=trailadvent]Very nice, and a sweet spec as well, yes indeed give us some ride impressions!! Comparisons to any other Ellsworths you may have ridden as well as your Truth, and weight!

Enjoy!
    My medium Epi weighs in at 26.80lbs. That was with Navegal 2.1 tires, but I just switched to the 2.35 Navegals so I will have to re-weigh...these tires feel like they could easily have added a pound to my bike The weight weenie in me is screaming to re-surface, but I really am psyched to try the fat tires on some of this Austin terrain.

BTW, I spoke with Gravity Dropper and apparently they are considering a release in all black, but they were very vauge as to when this may happpen. I will definately be ording an all black Gravity dropper ASAP!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re.. gravity dropper

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    I got a GravityDropper for Xmas. It's the best damn accessory I've ever tried. The version I got is the 3" drop, 3 position. That means it can drop 0", 1" or 3".

It's perfect for all rides. I climb using the seat at full extension. When I get to tight singletrack, or mildly technical stuff, I drop it 1". If I hit a steep drop or want to launch, I drop it 3". It's easy to use and works perfectly. I couldn't recommend a better accessory for a bike.

Hmmm... Interesting... How do you select between them? I might want to setup the same way....

___________o

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hmmm... Interesting... How do you select between them? I might want to setup the same way....
    You hit the switch and add weight to the seat.... and immediately release the switch. The post will stop at the next position which will be a 1" drop. If you want the seat all the way down.... just hold the switch until you pass the 1" point.

Using the post has a fast learning curve. It's easy to use and so far works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

weight...

You hit the switch and add weight to the seat.... and immediately release the switch. The post will stop at the next position which will be a 1" drop. If you want the seat all the way down.... just hold the switch until you pass the 1" point.

Using the post has a fast learning curve. It's easy to use and so far works perfectly.
    In their site it mentions that it is not recommended to have 3 positions for riders over 180#... I'm 220#+gear... Any idea why? Are you over 180#?

___________o

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    In their site it mentions that it is not recommended to have 3 positions for riders over 180#... I'm 220#+gear... Any idea why? Are you over 180#?
    I'm currently at my holiday weight 0f 185# plus gear. Inormally weigh about 175#. They didn't seem concerned at all. I think that the weight limit has to do with longevity, but you'll have to check with GD about that.

Give GD a call and discuss it with them. Even if you can't get the 3-position post, you should still consider the 2-position (they make it in 2", 3" and 4" drops). I would have purchased the post either way. It's that good.

The Ancient One
    I'm currently at my holiday weight 0f 185# plus gear. Inormally weigh about 175#. They didn't seem concerned at all. I think that the weight limit has to do with longevity, but you'll have to check with GD about that.

Give GD a call and discuss it with them. Even if you can't get the 3-position post, you should still consider the 2-position (they make it in 2", 3" and 4" drops). I would have purchased the post either way. It's that good.
    I agree that it's really good. I would go so far as to say that it makes more difference than what kind of frame you ride--within reason.

I've got the simple 3" drop post and I weigh around 185 with gear. Unfortunately I've broken the post twice. Both times it broke just at the hole where the seat mounting rod runs through the post. What's really weird is that it broke at exactly the same point on the same trail both times. It was right as I shifted my gears down real low and slid my butt forward in anticipation of a steep technical climb.

Both times the post was promptly replaced. The second time they gave me one where the hole is drilled at a slant through the post, which means the release mechanism has to be at the front, towards the handlebars. That was okay with me.

They are supposed to be coming out with a beefier version to fix the problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0