Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poorboy006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    264

    To Pike or to Revelation...That is the ??

    Anyone have any experience with a Pike or a Revelation on their Ells?? I think the Pike might be a bit to much for my Distance. How does RS forks feel with the ATLAS rear end? Will that 20mm axel really have a profound effect on stiffness?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboy006
    Anyone have any experience with a Pike or a Revelation on their Ells?? I think the Pike might be a bit to much for my Distance. How does RS forks feel with the ATLAS rear end? Will that 20mm axel really have a profound effect on stiffness?
    hello
    i've got a pike on my distance and a revelation on my ID.
    the pike match well with the distance, it make a great enduro bike: i live in france and the bike is perfect for riding in the alps.
    the maxxle is really stiff and really easy to use, it's a pleasure.
    the revelation is a lighter fork. it is a little shorter. more a marathon fork.
    it depend of the trail you are riding on and the way you enjoy your ride.

  3. #3
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    Seems like you got those forks backwards! The 5.5" Pike would match the Id better and the 5" Revelation would mate with the Distance perfectly, I would guess...???

    Really, 10mm isn't going to make much difference in the overall scheme of things. Getting a 20mm wheel was always the issue for me - more money, more costs.

    I think either would work out fine. I ran a Reba on my Isis and it matched the back end pretty good, 115mm front, 100mm rear. I settled on a Marathon up front at 120mm and I think this was a tad too much of a geometry change for the bike. At least with either RS, you can change the travel to match the rear if you don't like the way it's riding at any point.

    It's win-win! Pike air looks good...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Seems like you got those forks backwards! The 5.5" Pike would match the Id better and the 5" Revelation would mate with the Distance perfectly, I would guess...???

    It's win-win! Pike air looks good...
    i put fork that way because ID pedal better than Distance and i prefer to use the distance on dh marathon in france.i also got a shorter rear shox on my ID and the revelation match well with that configuration. i try the pike on the id but the bike was unbalanced and i prefer it with the revelation (fork was too long).
    i've got a pike dual air and it is a really great fork. light,stiff,adjustable, smooth, great bottoming resistance.

  5. #5
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by dustplayer
    i put fork that way because ID pedal better than Distance and i prefer to use the distance on dh marathon in france.i also got a shorter rear shox on my ID and the revelation match well with that configuration. i try the pike on the id but the bike was unbalanced and i prefer it with the revelation (fork was too long).
    i've got a pike dual air and it is a really great fork. light,stiff,adjustable, smooth, great bottoming resistance.
    Makes sense to me!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poorboy006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    264
    I use hope bulb hubs so the conversion is no biggy. If that 20mm isn't a noticable differance, than i think the Revelation's weight savings would be more important to me. Its just to bad that the Revelation dosn't come in silver. Thanks for the input.

  7. #7
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboy006
    I use hope bulb hubs so the conversion is no biggy. If that 20mm isn't a noticable differance, than i think the Revelation's weight savings would be more important to me. Its just to bad that the Revelation dosn't come in silver. Thanks for the input.
    The RS website notes that they come in Black, White, Silver and Mahogany. Though, it also stipulates:

    * Not all color and remote combinations will be available. See options guide or contact your salesperson for additional information

    Some guy had his Pike 454 on the shocks forum weighing in at just over 5lbs. Not too shabby, really for a long travel fork with a 20mm thru axle. Or, how about a Recon? There really doesn't seem to be much difference in the two models. You can opt for an aluminum steer tube and boss-less lowers. It'd probably save some cash, too.
    Last edited by chad1433; 01-23-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.