Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356

    picked up a 2005 18" on ebay. decent deal?

    paid $1570 for a new frame. since it came from a shop w/a reciept i get the factory warranty.

    was this a good deal?

    i'm not looking to figure out exactly which components i'm going to build it up with.

    right now i'm trying to figure out which 100mm fork to use. so far the FOX F100 RLT looks sweet but dayummm!!!! it's pricey.

    of course i just dropped $1570 on a frame so...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    727
    I think that's a good deal if you got the factory warranty. During certain time of the year you can get the frame + fork deal for $2000 but the fork is usually a Float R.

  3. #3
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Of course It was a good deal. You bought it!

    I wanna know why so many people buy something and then ask is they did the right thing? (retorical question) Maybe you should ask these questions before you purchase. If we tell you it was a rotten deal, what would you do?

    That said, I'm not a fan of that F-series fork since I am a plush fork guy. But if you are going to race, It might be worth the cash.

    Otherwise, put a vanilla on that sucker and go.

    Congrats on the new ride.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    727
    Good point!

    I just realized something else, it was never specified in the post which Ellsworth frame was purchased. I had assumed it was a Truth.

    So... if it was a Distance--you got a raw deal

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    55
    Just for anyone else who wants to have a similar deal, check out speedgoat and they are having year end sales on Ellsworth, a few Truth and Moment(!) for $1500.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by dewthedru
    paid $1570 for a new frame. since it came from a shop w/a reciept i get the factory warranty.
    interesting. You might want to confirm that with Ellsworth.

    I was always under the impression that ebay frames were viewed as 2nd hand. And as such carried no warranty.

    'snitch

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356
    i have a receipt from the shop. no paperwork that says anything about ebay. i registered it online and will call shortly to see if i'm good.

  8. #8
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Quote Originally Posted by industry snitch
    interesting. You might want to confirm that with Ellsworth.

    I was always under the impression that ebay frames were viewed as 2nd hand. And as such carried no warranty.

    'snitch
    Edited my post due to incorrect information.
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-22-2005 at 02:27 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356
    i don't have a warranty card. just the reciept from the shop. a problem?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    228

    ebay sales

    In our books Ebay sales are second hand sales. None of our dealers is authorized to sell on Ebay or at a discount. What shop did you buy it from?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356
    gosh. i don't want to get them in trouble.


    Mystic Cycle Centre. i emailed the owner and he confirmed my warranty eligibility. if this is NOT the case, i'll send it back and buy the one from speedgoat.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    228
    neither Mystic or Speedgoat are current Ellsworth dealers so I cant even give them a slap on the wrist. I hate penalizing the consumer(you) for shops not following the rules. We will honor your warranty but everyone else please be aware that

    ebay sales are not covered under our warranty!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by pecusick
    neither Mystic or Speedgoat are current Ellsworth dealers so I cant even give them a slap on the wrist. I hate penalizing the consumer(you) for shops not following the rules. We will honor your warranty but everyone else please be aware that

    ebay sales are not covered under our warranty!
    might be wise to put that on the Ellsworth website.

    Just to save this issue raising it's head again.

    'snitch.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by pecusick
    neither Mystic or Speedgoat are current Ellsworth dealers so I cant even give them a slap on the wrist. I hate penalizing the consumer(you) for shops not following the rules. We will honor your warranty but everyone else please be aware that

    ebay sales are not covered under our warranty!


    thanks for the heads up. i checked your site and they came up as a dealer. i thought i did my homework before the purchase but i guess not.


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    228
    We are a bit behind updating the site. Just fixed that.
    Thanks for the heads up. Rob and the guys at New Canaan are great dealers. I know its a bit of a hike from Mystic but if you are in that area, I would check them out

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356
    actually i'm in kalamazoo michigan. i believe my nearest dealer is in ysipilanti.

  17. #17
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Quote Originally Posted by pecusick
    neither Mystic or Speedgoat are current Ellsworth dealers so I cant even give them a slap on the wrist. I hate penalizing the consumer(you) for shops not following the rules. We will honor your warranty but everyone else please be aware that

    ebay sales are not covered under our warranty!
    It all makes sense though. They were once a dealer and now they are selling a leftover bike as a non authorized dealer. It does put the consumer in a bind since buying from a dealer can make people think it's better than getting it from an individual.

  18. #18
    Brass Nipples!
    Reputation: Bob the Wheelbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,006
    Thanks pecusick for taking care of the customer in this case. That's what will keep brand loyalty and continue to polish your customer service rep.

    Like i snitch said, this would be good info to have on a current website.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    Thanks pecusick for taking care of the customer in this case. That's what will keep brand loyalty and continue to polish your customer service rep.

    Like i snitch said, this would be good info to have on a current website.


    i agree. that's why i bought an ellsworth. i have four treks in my garage and wanted to buy something from a company that i can talk to, will be more likely to respond to me individually, and won't be the same thing that everyone else on the trail rides.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    Thanks pecusick for taking care of the customer in this case. That's what will keep brand loyalty and continue to polish your customer service rep.
    I still find it confusing. If a shop is a dealer and buys a bike to put on the showroom floor, then stops being a dealer before selling the bike - does that bike no longer have a warranty? If you buy a frame on sale at a authorized dealer, does that frame have no warranty? What if it's a complete bike that's discounted - how do you know whether the discount was applied to the frame or to the build kit or both?

    It seems like confusion and lack of clarity over warranty has driven more problems with Ellsworth's perceived customer service than any other issue. Moving to a 2 year warranty instead of the 'lifetime of the frame' warranty has gone a long ways to helping with that, imo. This authorized dealer/new-but-not-really-new-because-it-was-sold-via-ebay/no discounts thing has the pontential to cause similar problems.

    To me, if I buy a new frame from a bike store that purchased the frame from Ellsworth, I expect to have the full warranty. If there are stipulations to that, those need to be spelled out very crisply.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356
    ok. my first building question.

    i need a 1 1/8 headset right? does it matter if it's threaded or non-threaded? i'm going to get a Chris King headset and don't know which one will work.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by dewthedru
    ok. my first building question.

    i need a 1 1/8 headset right? does it matter if it's threaded or non-threaded? i'm going to get a Chris King headset and don't know which one will work.
    1 1/8 non-threaded should work.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by dewthedru
    ok. my first building question.

    i need a 1 1/8 headset right? does it matter if it's threaded or non-threaded? i'm going to get a Chris King headset and don't know which one will work.
    You should base your headset selection on the fork that you are going to use.

    If your fork has a smooth steer tube you will need the non-threaded or Aheadset style headset.

    If your fork has threads on the steer tube you will need a threaded headset.

    It is very hard to find forks with threaded steer tubes since that is old technology prior to the advent of Aheadset. Virtually all new forks come with threadless steer tube so you most likely will be using a non-threaded headset. And the size is 1 1/8 inch.

  24. #24
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,117
    Quote Originally Posted by dewthedru
    ok. my first building question.

    i need a 1 1/8 headset right? does it matter if it's threaded or non-threaded? i'm going to get a Chris King headset and don't know which one will work.
    Uh??? You are having a shop put it together right.

    Why I ask is if you don't have the knowledge to pick a headset, you are certainly not going to have the knowledge to install it! ..And they might not like you brining in your own parts to install.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal
    I still find it confusing. If a shop is a dealer and buys a bike to put on the showroom floor, then stops being a dealer before selling the bike - does that bike no longer have a warranty? If you buy a frame on sale at a authorized dealer, does that frame have no warranty? What if it's a complete bike that's discounted - how do you know whether the discount was applied to the frame or to the build kit or both?

    It seems like confusion and lack of clarity over warranty has driven more problems with Ellsworth's perceived customer service than any other issue. Moving to a 2 year warranty instead of the 'lifetime of the frame' warranty has gone a long ways to helping with that, imo. This authorized dealer/new-but-not-really-new-because-it-was-sold-via-ebay/no discounts thing has the pontential to cause similar problems.

    To me, if I buy a new frame from a bike store that purchased the frame from Ellsworth, I expect to have the full warranty. If there are stipulations to that, those need to be spelled out very crisply.
    Not honoring warranty if the product is not purchased from an authorized dealer is common practice amongst manufacturers across many industries.

    Whether a frame should be warranted after a store ceased to be an authorized dealer falls in a gray area. In this case Paul has stepped up and honored it so that is great.

    I think a frame should definitely receive warranty if it was purchased on sale, even when the manufacturer has MSRP agreement with the store. That is up to the manufacturer to reprimand and enforce the MSRP agreement. I think this is how some shops lose their authorized dealership. Ellsworth is not going to negate on the warranty.

    I agree with you, these things should be prominently displayed on Ellsworth website and broschures to avoid the customers being mislead...and ultimately become angry customers...then ultimately a T-vangelist!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dewthedru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Uh??? You are having a shop put it together right.

    Why I ask is if you don't have the knowledge to pick a headset, you are certainly not going to have the knowledge to install it! ..And they might not like you brining in your own parts to install.

    haha...don't worry. a good friend used to be a wrench for years and years. he's going to be doing most of the assembly work. esp items like the fork, headset, and BB.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    Not honoring warranty if the product is not purchased from an authorized dealer is common practice amongst manufacturers across many industries.

    Whether a frame should be warranted after a store ceased to be an authorized dealer falls in a gray area. In this case Paul has stepped up and honored it so that is great.

    I think a frame should definitely receive warranty if it was purchased on sale, even when the manufacturer has MSRP agreement with the store. That is up to the manufacturer to reprimand and enforce the MSRP agreement. I think this is how some shops lose their authorized dealership. Ellsworth is not going to negate on the warranty.
    '

    Not to sound negative... but most people have missed the key point here...

    It's not that they (the store) sold it when they were no longer an authorised dealer"... (hey... they own the frame right)

    And it's not about the fact that they sold it at a special price.

    It's about the fact that they sold it via ebay . Many hi-end frame manufacturers and indeed many of the larger bike companies (Trek, Cannondale) have the same agreement in their dealer contracts with stores.

    As do a large number of the parts companies. For example, Fox (shox/forx) have it noted in their dealer agreement. No ebay sales. So do many others. (Sram).

    They have no problem with private individuals selling their 2nd hand products that way. But they stipulate that their dealers (if they wish to continue being dealers) are not to sell via ebay .

    Which brings us back to the view held by Ellsworth and the rest of the industry that goods purchased on ebay are 2nd hand and as such carry no warranty from the manufacturer.

    pcuseik, you guys need to get that issue onto the Ellsworth site to clear it up ASAP.

    'snitch
    Last edited by industry snitch; 11-24-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.