mtbr member
    Nov 2004

No more beadblasting

The beadblasted and anodised finish on my past and present Ellsworth frames is tough as hell- as i found out when facing my disc mounts- and one of the reasons i was willing to pay the premium for my frame, and part of what makes them a bit special.
    It seems in the future it will be replaced by the streaky anodising, i think i know the reasons, but still think it's a bad move, what do others think, and would you feel shortchanged if the prices stay the same?
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

"Its All Good"
    I really rate the anodised finish, I have had two Ellsworth frames and this finish has been great, it takes a beating and always comes up looking magic after a good clean.

Is it me or do some changes come through for what seems like the sake of it. Our Ellsworth frames are at the highest end of the market, the finish was exceptional, I would hate to see the new way not be as good as the old anodised finish. Am not willing to pass judgement until we know and have seen.

mmmmmm price is a very difficult one, the price alone keeps these frames exclusive, not from a wanky point of view either, it is just a fact, the target market is not huge. The slogan, "those that ride know" really sums it up...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    I mean this is the finish we want, for a frame to come up mint after looking like this is something pretty special in my book.........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Rolling
    The anodizing is what makes the surface tough. The shot peening is really just cosmetic--but something I really like about the Ellsworth finish.

They are prolly going away from the shot peening for both a change and to reduce the beeds gumming up the bb threads and such.

Not sure it's cheaper to do that elaborate color fade than shot peening but it's definitely different.

I'm surely disappointed with it since the shot peened finish is distinctive.

PS: my new stay has that glossy finish and is holding up well in regards to being tough. Having a whole bike that color would be odd.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Actually there is some mechanical advantage to bead blasting. It induces a slight compressive stress on the surface which helps stop cracks from forming.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    ... helps stop cracks from forming.
    Very ironic!

PS: yes, I have heard that, I just kinda discounted it in the past. I just looked it up and it does add strength.
    Last edited by lidarman; 10-19-2005 at 10:19 AM.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Yeah I suppose. It's not a cure all and the benifit won't get you around a manufacuring defect or design flaw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The new finish is more special and unique. I haven't come accross anything like the fade/streaking anodizing on the Epiphany. There are many others, especially now a days, that anodize their frames in the matte finish.

With that said, I think I still prefer the old bead-blasted finish myself

I think the new finishing method will give Ells more color options. With the old finish, there are certain colors that don't bode well with anodizing and tend to fade over time. I've come accross some pinkish looking Id's and Truths.

The jury is still out on how durable the new finish will be. From past experience anything with a mirror finish won't stay that way for long.

sock puppet

is that what you...

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    I mean this is the finish we want, for a frame to come up mint after looking like this is something pretty special in my book.........
    kangaroos call dirty?

c'mon... you've got to be kidding... i got that on my bike before i really hit the trail...

sock puppet

i dont want glossy frame...

Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    The beadblasted and anodised finish on my past and present Ellsworth frames is tough as hell- as i found out when facing my disc mounts- and one of the reasons i was willing to pay the premium for my frame, and part of what makes them a bit special.
    It seems in the future it will be replaced by the streaky anodising, i think i know the reasons, but still think it's a bad move, what do others think, and would you feel shortchanged if the prices stay the same?
    i want them to keep the good old, classy, tough and mean look...

i know it ain't going to happen... so...

sock puppet

and you'll want to buy a new...

Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    The new finish is more special and unique. I haven't come accross anything like the fade/streaking anodizing on the Epiphany. There are many others, especially now a days, that anodize their frames in the matte finish.

With that said, I think I still prefer the old bead-blasted finish myself

I think the new finishing method will give Ells more color options. With the old finish, there are certain colors that don't bode well with anodizing and tend to fade over time. I've come accross some pinkish looking Id's and Truths.

The jury is still out on how durable the new finish will be. From past experience anything with a mirror finish won't stay that way for long.
    better looking, shinier frame...

wel, maybe that is not bad after all... otherwise, i'd keep my bead-blasted Truth forever...

trail fairy
    Maybe that'll be your call if you choose a custom option, this would be my preference, and id pay for it if they can do it, then you really get something you want!!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

sock puppet

heh, like the frame is not $$$ as it is...

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Maybe that'll be your call if you choose a custom option, this would be my preference, and id pay for it if they can do it, then you really get something you want!!
    i just need another surcharge of few hundred bucks for bead blasting...

"Its All Good"
    All will vote with there feet, if the new finish sucks, they will change back

Members who have read this thread: 0