Thread: New Convert

853+29+1x24=Fun

New Convert

My buddy just went for his first ride on his Moment last night. He loves it. He's been talking about getting one ever since he rode my Id. He is coming off a Heckler. The biggest thing he noticed right off is the way the bike handles in the corners and he kept saying how he has to learn how to ride log ramps again. The Moment seems to go over them easier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Get your friend on this forum and we can give him the proper welcome!

Still getting acqainted with mine but I like it a lot already.

How did he build up his Moment?

Time is not a road.
    mmmm...log ramps. Not a one to be found here in the desert West. There's a cool trail back home in MI that a guy built with literally dozens of log ramps, some 3-4' tall with rebar for stabilization. I'd love to go back and ride some of that stuff on my Moment (when I get it...). Road Trip!
    Last edited by chad1433; 11-11-2005 at 02:28 PM.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    The components are nothing to write home about. Some higher end Bontrager stuff. The guy he bought it from swapped parts over from a Trek Fuel I think. He got a sweet deal, brand new ready to ride bike for 2000. The guy he bought it from never rode it, so it was essentially brand new. He's looking to slowly swap out the parts.

I'll try and see if he wants to come over here.

Chad, where in Michigan? I used to live there and ride there all the time. That almost sounds like Grubbers Grinder near Mt. Holly. Some big ass log ramps there.

I had a chance to ride in southern California for a bit. I know what you mean about no logs. It was kind of funny actually. There was a small stand of trees growing next to this creek. One of the tress was down and it was laying across the trail. All the guys out there thought it was the coolest thing. "Hey, watch out there is a tree down, really cool to jump". I just kind of smiled.

Time is not a road.
    That's it man, Holly. I only rode there once because I lived in Monroe and it was quite a trek up. When I rode it was after a hellacious t-storm and so many trees had been downed that we could only ride in about a mile or so, so we turned back. We'd heard that there were many awesome obstacles and that it was a great ride, but I just never made it back to ride the whole thing.

We used to spend a lot of time at Pontiac Lake and Pickney Rec area (Potowatomi trail - still one of my all time favorites).

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Dang, small world. I know those trails well. The Poto is one of my favorites as well.

I practically lived at Pontiac Lake. I was just up there this summer. They've done a lot of nice work to Pontiac. Wasn't as hard as I remembered it being. I've been riding on the East Coast with a lot more elevation (compared to Michigan anyway). I was really flying up those hills. All of those trails in SE Michigan are so fast. Ever ride Island Lake. Another trail I hit almost everyday.

El Malo
    Yeah, what build did he have on the Heckler as opposed to what is now on the Moment.

Also, what size frames are we talking here, Heckler and Moment ?

I've got an XL Heckler that I worship and when I ride my friend's LG Moment, even though I try to keep the size difference in mind, I feel twitchy in it.

It would be great if Ellsworth made an XL Moment or Rogue...
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

853+29+1x24=Fun
    The Heckler had some decent stuff. Shimano XT f/r derailluers. A boat anchor OEM Marzocchi front fork off a Kona (can't remember the brand Marzocchi seems to have a million forks now). A pretty cool 5th element coil. He kept it intact, he thought it would be easier to sell. The Moment is a Large and the Heckler was a large.

El Malo
    Wow, more Michiganders...

I moved from Grosse Point years ago and now living in the PacNW...

Sounds like there'd be hhhhellaDrivin' just to get any kind of vert out there, eh.
    I think I'd go nuts if I had to move there knowing the riding I have and what I remember from those days.
    Actually, let me re-phrase... I could never live in the DFW again...

Although, I can imagine that the U-P fabulous riding ...

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    Dang, small world. I know those trails well. The Poto is one of my favorites as well.

I practically lived at Pontiac Lake. I was just up there this summer. They've done a lot of nice work to Pontiac. Wasn't as hard as I remembered it being. I've been riding on the East Coast with a lot more elevation (compared to Michigan anyway). I was really flying up those hills. All of those trails in SE Michigan are so fast. Ever ride Island Lake. Another trail I hit almost everyday.
    Yeah, Island Lakes was always a good testing ground for new "recruits" of the female persuasion. If they could ride there, they were in like Flynn. Most failed...fortunately, my (future)wife passed and became a Poto warrior...Colorado has been a bit daunting for her, though. The elevation gains and thin air are a killer! Not to mention all the rocks. What we lack in trees we make up for in rocks.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Yep some good stuff in the UP. Great potential for more. Bruno's run is probably one of the best trails. They are starting to build some freeride stuff around Marquette.

I really can't see myself going back to Michigan either but I have to admit there were a ton of trails around the Detroit area. The MMBA is a great for that.

El Malo
    The beauty of the Hecklers is that you can dress'em up or down and still have an absolutely solid bike for XC and FR.

Mine's got a Marzocchi Z1FRQR20 w/ETA, Hayes8", Holzfeller Cranks, XT stuff, D321 wheels, Kenda 2.6 front, Maxxis 2.5 rear and the ever-so-efficient 5thElement coil.

Again, I'll have to keep my Heckler, unless I can get a Moment/Rogue in an XL... something which I have not fully investigated...

Time is not a road.
    Actually, the riding around Ann Arbor area was really good. the SW/CentralW of the state has some good riding with lots of variance. What I miss about MI trails were the loops. It seems many of the trails here are out and back or lollipop loops, so you get a lot of two way traffic, which isn't so great for all the elevation we have. Rippin' down a trail can be downright dangerous for other users coming up. Many conflicts, especially around Boulder. I don't like all the horses much either.

One $20 and I could ride every State Park all year long. With so many different land managers here, you could pay $120 for multiple passes. But, unlike MI, there is a lot of free trail systems, too.

While no place is perfect, MI really is one of the best all around states for mtn biking. MMBA rocks, the terrain is not bad and the seasons are beautiful (though there are a few months where we didn't ride - that's what hockey is for).

Members who have read this thread: 0