mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Need some imput Joker, Distance...

I'm still a newby working on and building some new skills and stuff, I'm on a Specialized FSR XC Comp and was ready to dive for a Yeti ASX when out of nowhere this dude apeared riding a Ellswotrh Distance, man what a nice bike !!!, then his big bro on a Joker, and now mi head is all messed up.
    these dudes just passed by me and I had no chance to talk to them, so now im wondering about those 2 bikes.
    could someone please tell me how they do compare, I know they might no be as burly as the ASX but they do look mean... how heave are those frames? Quality? Cost?... I mean you know.. as much as you can enlighten me...
    I want to make an educated choice before I let go my coins...

Thanks a lot for any help..

JC

"Its All Good"
    Cooldude, be a good investigator and go to the Ellsworth website and check them out. The DISTANCE & the JOKER are on different planets as bikes. The DISTANCE is a trail bike with atlas suspension and the JOKER is a jump, bighit, freeride type bike.

Do some research and you will see the differences, the new 06 CHAOS (was JOKER) is rad, it looks the cats pajama's..............

Have a little looky on the net, all will be revealed, ask more questions when you know a little more about the subtile differences
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Jii
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Joker frame weighs 7,75 lbs according to the Ells website, Never weighed mine, but it's light for a 7" suspension frame. The Distance is even lighter, comes with an air shock and doesn't have such a slack head angle. If you were looking at the ASX, the Joker would be more appropriate for you than the Distance.

I've never ridden a ASX, but for what I have heard, it's not so versatile due to the higher weight. The Joker also has two different shock mounting options, so you can run it as 5" or 7", but you need two shocks with different i to i lengths. I run mine as 7" all the time. I use mine as my do everything-bike, so it handles 5-7 hour trailrides and serious freeriding alike, and it performs very well on both. Mine weighs 37-39 lbs depending on tire/tube setup and i run it with a single chainring and a chainguide up front. It pedals beatifully for a single pivot bike, but does of course jack a bit when braking and sometimes i get pedal feedback, but you get used to both.

Quality and finish, well what can I say. Flawless. Well, the hose/cable guiding could be better, but I can live with it. I love two things about the anodized and shot peened finish, it looks beatiful and it is very durable. Mine has gotten snow/mud/rain treatment for 9 months now and still looks like new.

There's only one bad thing about the Joker IMHO. They stopped making it for 2006. Guess I'll keep mine 'til it dies on me.
    Last edited by Jii; 10-17-2005 at 12:15 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1