Brass Nipples!

My newest bike love isn't an Ellsworth...

It's a Surly Pugsley. It will never replace my Moment for most rides, but it can do things no other bike I've ever ridden can do.

This week I rode to the top of Sand Mountain. I had to get off the bike once due to a missed shift and I could barely push the bike up the sand hill to get to a more level spot to restart. I was running 8 psi in the tires and I'll go lower on rides that are pure sand and snow. Sand Mtn actually has a slickrock patch in the middle, so I was running the pressure "high" for that.

This is the view from the top of Sand Mountain. It's quite possible no one else has ever pedaled to this viewpoint. This is usually the domain of motorcyclists and ATV riders because the steep sand hills are impossible to climb on a conventional bike.

Here's the bike before it got dirty. The wheels look even bigger in person.

Building these wheels is unique. Surly included a 35 mm wide adapter to attach to the left side of the hub to allow them to be trued to a 170 mm width. After the adapter is removed, the wheel is offset to the left. This combined with a 100 mm bottom bracket and an offset of the frame and fork allows for lots of space on the right side of the bike for the drivetrain. The front hub is 135 mm wide. I used a singlespeed hub for the front and I'll fit a SS cog to be used as a backup for the rear cassette if it freezes up in the winter.

The tires are rated 3.7 inches wide. I think the decal on the chainstay is a little bit of an understatement.

{Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

trail fairy
    Getting back to MTB roots dude enjoy, looks like it would be a fun machine!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    Bob T W you are the one, that is a wicked setup, I guess that would happen when the snow comes for you guys. I bet it takes some pedaling, need a lower than lower granny gear.

What a beast, you will have to show us some action shots when the snow comes, am sure I remember you showing us some last year, this looks even a meaner scooter
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member

So...

Did you hang it from a scale?

Brass Nipples!

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Did you hang it from a scale?
    It was 34 and a half pounds. Virtually all the excess weight over a conventional bike is in the wheels and tires. The rims, tubes and tires are each about twice the weight.

I keep adding things to my Moment and making it heavier, too. It is now at 33.9 pounds. I think I'll post a "find the changes" picture in the next couple of days.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

trail fairy
    UGI is a hell of bug, can't seem to get over it..

Just when ya think ya have it all figured out something else comes along to improve the ride!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

sock puppet

god, it's ugly...

enjoy it though...

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    It was 34 and a half pounds. Virtually all the excess weight over a conventional bike is in the wheels and tires. The rims, tubes and tires are each about twice the weight.

I keep adding things to my Moment and making it heavier, too. It is now at 33.9 pounds. I think I'll post a "find the changes" picture in the next couple of days.
    How's the downhilling on that puppy? And more importantly, can the brakes stop that much rotating weight easily?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Tame the Penguin!
    Bob,

We have two Pugsleys at the shop and are waiting on rims and bbs to finish building them up. We can't wait to get on them. We'll post some photos when we get them running.

We need our own Pugsley forum.

--Beast

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow Bob are those tyres or balloons? Looks like you've got about 3" of travel front and rear.
    The SST98 saddle is the comfiest i've ever found also, need a new one and can't find one anywhere, may be forced to try something else, maybe the Fizik Gobi.
    Looks like a fun ride in a retro way.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    How's the downhilling on that puppy? And more importantly, can the brakes stop that much rotating weight easily?
    Stopping the rotating weight, even with huge tires and wheels, is nothing compared with stopping the rider.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    The thing needs a firm hand when downhilling in twisty stuff. I did a ride near Payson Lakes in northern Utah this last weekend on the Moment one day and the Pug the next. I had to turn the bars and lean a lot more with the Pugsley. It seemed like I could steer the Moment from my hips. The WIDE contact patch helps with stability going straight ahead but it also requires a bigger input to change directions. The brakes work fine. I have even been able to break the rear wheel loose, but traction is pretty phenomenal. I did choose 185 mm rotors instead of the 160's.

Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro
    Bob,

We have two Pugsleys at the shop and are waiting on rims and bbs to finish building them up. We can't wait to get on them. We'll post some photos when we get them running.

--Beast
    Yeah, there isn't a perfect place for this stuff, yet. This bike is another "freshener," like riding at night for the first time or trying a singlespeed. It makes even the most familiar trail seem new again.

I'm playing around with pressures a lot. Choosing the best tire pressure for each ride will be the key to maximizing performance, I think.

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    I'm playing around with pressures a lot. Choosing the best tire pressure for each ride will be the key to maximizing performance, I think.
    I take it you are running the 60tpi Endomorph as they are blackwalls. How are they wearing?

I've read that the 30tpi skinwall tire has more rubber in the center portion of the tread and will last longer on rocky, more abrasive conditions, but it's also heavier......1350g versus 1260g.

Brass Nipples!
    I take it you are running the 60tpi Endomorph as they are blackwalls. How are they wearing?

I've read that the 30tpi skinwall tire has more rubber in the center portion of the tread and will last longer on rocky, more abrasive conditions, but it's also heavier......1350g versus 1260g.
    Wear's good so far. The little bumps from the tire mold (?pips) are off the back, but there hasn't been any real noticible wear. I got the higher thread count tires because I thought they'd conform under lower pressure better in snow and sand. If they turn out to wear too fast, I think I might get the skinwall tires for rockier rides and use the 60 tpi tires for sand and snow only.

My cup runneth over
    Bob,

--Beast
    Can't wait to see you and Larry single-speed those pug-puppies

Tame the Penguin!
    Here is some more good info on the Pugs.....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=137198

Brass Nipples!

A pic from today.

I've decided the 29er board is probably the best place to post Pugsley stuff from now on. The tires are 29 inches in diameter, after all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0