mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My Moment - so many questions...

I've just got myself a bargain Moment off eBay! A brand new, un-ridden 2004 Moment. Not just the frame but a complete build. However, the build is too lightweight for me so I'm looking to build it up a bit more huckable...

OK, let's start with the first Q:
    Whats the difference between 2004 & 2005 & 2006 Moments? Anything worthwhile to note...?

What's the max rotor size of the rear disks? I'm thinking of 190mm Magura Louise FR but I don't know whether such a large rotor is recommended. (I don't need to worry about the warranty 'cos the bike doesn't have one...)

The shock is a Fox Vanilla RC with ProPedal. Was this a standard offering on 2004 frames? Are they any good - any advice on set up would be useful....
    (It's got a 600 x 2.25lb spring and I weigh about 215lb fully kitted out...)

The forks are 130mm Fox Float TALAS RLC, which I guess are at the lower end of the travel. I'm looking a changing these, possibly to Fox 36 (either Vans or TALAS). Any other suggestions? What are Pikes like? I've always had my doubts about RockShox reliability...

I'm thinking of running one bike with two sets of wheels - one lightweight, probably with Mavic X717 rims and Spesh Enduro 2.2 or 2.3 tyres, the other a more robust set with either Mavic 721 or 729 rims and beefier tyres & tubes (prob Kenda Kinetics) for the Alps and the odd bit of downhilling (NOT full-on competition - I know this is the wrong bike for that!). Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SixZeroSixOne
    I've just got myself a bargain Moment off eBay! A brand new, un-ridden 2004 Moment. Not just the frame but a complete build. However, the build is too lightweight for me so I'm looking to build it up a bit more huckable...

OK, let's start with the first Q:
    Whats the difference between 2004 & 2005 & 2006 Moments? Anything worthwhile to note...?

What's the max rotor size of the rear disks? I'm thinking of 190mm Magura Louise FR but I don't know whether such a large rotor is recommended. (I don't need to worry about the warranty 'cos the bike doesn't have one...)

The shock is a Fox Vanilla RC with ProPedal. Was this a standard offering on 2004 frames? Are they any good - any advice on set up would be useful....
    (It's got a 600 x 2.25lb spring and I weigh about 215lb fully kitted out...)

The forks are 130mm Fox Float TALAS RLC, which I guess are at the lower end of the travel. I'm looking a changing these, possibly to Fox 36 (either Vans or TALAS). Any other suggestions? What are Pikes like? I've always had my doubts about RockShox reliability...

I'm thinking of running one bike with two sets of wheels - one lightweight, probably with Mavic X717 rims and Spesh Enduro 2.2 or 2.3 tyres, the other a more robust set with either Mavic 721 or 729 rims and beefier tyres & tubes (prob Kenda Kinetics) for the Alps and the odd bit of downhilling (NOT full-on competition - I know this is the wrong bike for that!). Any thoughts?
    I think there is very little difference between 2004 and 2005 Moments. The only thing I know of is that it went from a round carbon rocker bridge to a flatter, triangular carbon bridge. 2006 has the new smooth anodized finish in different colors and the new asymmetrical chain stays which are backward compatible to earlier year frames. Not sure if the geometry receives any revision in 2006, there appears to be some confusion in that area. The 2006 Moment is not out yet so no one can say for sure.

Ells gave me the OK on 185mm disc in the rear so you shouldn't have a problelm with 190mm.

The Pike is a great fork loved by many on mtbr if you do a search and it matches well with the Moment. The Fox 36 is also a great fork and the 150mm travel compliments the Moment even better than the 140mm Pike. Another great option is the Marzocchi AM1 in 150mm--no 20mm thru axle conversion required.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My 2005 owners manual says "The Joker, Dare, and Moment are the only approved models to use an 8" rotor."

I have 8" front and rear...they work great.

Time is not a road.
    The shock is a Fox Vanilla RC with ProPedal. Was this a standard offering on 2004 frames? Are they any good - any advice on set up would be useful....(It's got a 600 x 2.25lb spring and I weigh about 215lb fully kitted out...)
    I've talked to a few suspension Gurus about the differences between the RC and the DHX and most feel that the DHX is just better overall. Push Industries does offer service on these shocks and that would be a good upgrade. I think though, that the RC will match good with the Ellsworth suspension design for the time being. They are a quality shock, for sure.

Ellsworth "recommends" a Steel Set headset or other deep set HS with the 36 models, so keep that in mind. Other forks, like Ahimanic mentioned include the AM1, Pike (lots of good reviews!), Marz Z1s and 66s, Manitou Travis 150 or Nixon. With many of these you'll have to convert the front to 20mm thru axle. If that's not an issue, get the best you can afford, I suppose. The 36 Van seems to be getting better reviews than the 36 Talas. The Z1s would be better for trail riding while the 66s would be more freeride/DH. The Pike seems a bit short to me, but it's still in that sweet spot of 130-150mm. The Maxle is supposed to work great, the damping, compression and Flood Gate adjustments make this fork very versatile and it can be had in air or coil. It's also very economical. I don't have much experience with Manitou.

Personally, I'd recommend Kenda all the way around. DTC 2.1s for the XC set, Sticky 2.35-2.5 for the DH set. Nevegals and Blue Grooves are best. The Kinetics tend to run narrower than the Nev and BG and the tread pattern is a bit outdated. While on that subject, if you go with a AM1 or something with a standard QR, I'd recommend one of the Hope or DT Swiss hubs than can be converted to 20mm later, just to save some money.

Good luck, happy riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    While on that subject, if you go with a AM1 or something with a standard QR, I'd recommend one of the Hope or DT Swiss hubs than can be converted to 20mm later, just to save some money.
    That is a great advice! More and more trail forks are coming out with 20mm thru axle set up. It doesn't hurt to plan for the future now so you won't be limited to QR forks later.

I have the Crossmax Enduro wheels and I wish I had gone for the Crossmax XL instead. The XL front wheel is easily convertible to 20mm and it would have opened me up to more fork options without costing me more for a front wheel upgrade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

06 moment

Found this pic of 06 moment, you can see the seatstays and shape of carbon bridge, think the mainframe is different,looks as though the downtube is externally shaped and the headtube too

Time is not a road.
    I'd bet it's lighter, too, despite the DHX-Air. I love the deep blue...

Members who have read this thread: 0