Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Momentus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    307

    Moved from a Heckler to a Moment - My thoughts...

    Was looking at buying a Six Pack when I recieved an offer I could not refuse. A beautiful slightly used Ellsworth Moment in black ano was offered at a very fair price.

    I changed over most of the parts from my beloved Heckler and set off.

    My impressions:

    Asthetics - The Moment is a stunning looking bike, with a black fork (Z1 FR1) it looks perfect, the Heckler whilst a good looking bike does not compare in this category.

    Climbing - Both bikes weight approximately the same, the Moment has a heavier fork which makes up for the slight advantage it had in frame weight. The most amazing difference with the change is here. Traction is no longer an issue for me. I can stand and climb (on sand based trails) and hardly ever lose traction. Big, big difference.

    Cornering - The Heckler had a steeper head angle (around 68.5 degrees) compared to the Moment (am led to believe high 67 to low 68 with a 538mm A2C fork) and therefore feels "sharper" in the cornering department. The Moment feels more stable but a little less nimble. Am still getting used to the handling of the Moment but would give the edge to the Heckler at this stage.

    Descending - Here the Moment again shines. The front and rear (DHX 5.0 Coil) are perfectly matched. The bike feels plush without wallowing in it's travel. Head angle and wheelbase make the bike feel more stable. Will have to look into getting new brakes to make sure I can make the most of this new confidence.

    Air - Whilst not an acrobat I do enjoy spending a bit of time in the air. The Moment has increased my confidence over the Heckler by quite a bit. I am not exactly sure why but figure that it might be a stiffer rear end on the Moment.

    Overall - I could not be happier with my purchase. This bike will serve me for a long time to come (which is probably about 2 years in UGI terms)... mmm... the Rogue looks nice.

    Will take some pictures this weekend.

  2. #2
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,691
    Its great to hear such positive comments. The suspension design really works and works wonders on climbs.

    Hope you have lots of fun with your Moment,
    Trev!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,494

    Nice.

    Good comments on the new ride. I used to have a Heckler and agree with you on it being a very nimble bike. I also experienced better traction with FSR/ICT suspension bikes on uncertain terrain. Running bigger tires on the Heckler helped with the traction, but the ride quality is just a notch lower than a horst link type ride with a similar amount of travel.

  4. #4
    853+29+1x24=Fun
    Reputation: kev0153's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,020
    I have a friend looking to make the same move. I'll point him to this thread.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Momentus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    307

    Send him my way!!!

    Sure, am more than happy to offer a comparison for specific circumstances. I have run both a 125R Van and Maverick DUC32 on my Heckler to give you an idea of setup.

    General riding style is aggressive XC with a few jumps thrown in.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    132

    What about the bob issue ?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Momentus
    Was looking at buying a Six Pack when I recieved an offer I could not refuse. A beautiful slightly used Ellsworth Moment in black ano was offered at a very fair price.

    I changed over most of the parts from my beloved Heckler and set off.

    My impressions:

    Asthetics - The Moment is a stunning looking bike, with a black fork (Z1 FR1) it looks perfect, the Heckler whilst a good looking bike does not compare in this category.

    Climbing - Both bikes weight approximately the same, the Moment has a heavier fork which makes up for the slight advantage it had in frame weight. The most amazing difference with the change is here. Traction is no longer an issue for me. I can stand and climb (on sand based trails) and hardly ever lose traction. Big, big difference.

    Cornering - The Heckler had a steeper head angle (around 68.5 degrees) compared to the Moment (am led to believe high 67 to low 68 with a 538mm A2C fork) and therefore feels "sharper" in the cornering department. The Moment feels more stable but a little less nimble. Am still getting used to the handling of the Moment but would give the edge to the Heckler at this stage.

    Descending - Here the Moment again shines. The front and rear (DHX 5.0 Coil) are perfectly matched. The bike feels plush without wallowing in it's travel. Head angle and wheelbase make the bike feel more stable. Will have to look into getting new brakes to make sure I can make the most of this new confidence.

    Air - Whilst not an acrobat I do enjoy spending a bit of time in the air. The Moment has increased my confidence over the Heckler by quite a bit. I am not exactly sure why but figure that it might be a stiffer rear end on the Moment.

    Overall - I could not be happier with my purchase. This bike will serve me for a long time to come (which is probably about 2 years in UGI terms)... mmm... the Rogue looks nice.

    Will take some pictures this weekend.
    The Heckler is sound bobless. Stand out of the saddle and the Moment sucks all u'r energy around. wollow wollow...

    E.
    The magnitude is in the Details...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Momentus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    307

    Hmmmm

    That's interesting, have found it to be different to your experience. The Heckler was solid feeling but broke traction and therefore was harder to pedal standing up and get anywhere.

    The Moment, if it does bob more certainly feels (to me) reasonably efficient. I'm normally a seated climber for that very reason but am finding myself out of the saddle a whole lot more with the Moment.

    Wallow is certainly not a word I would use.

  8. #8
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,546
    Nice write up Momentus you surely are tearing up the trails allot harder than you were on the Heckler, no disrespect to the mighty Heckler one of my favs but youve gone up another notch atleast.
    Not many places I can eek an advantage anymore darn it except the yonder trails you don't know so well!..

    As for Bob there's no such thing if set up properly or unless youve come from a Ahrdtail and then its not a balanced assessment, Ive constantly pounded out of the saddle and Es are one of the few FS bikes Ive ridden that can handle that well.

    Anyway as usual this is very subjective, as setup is critical to any ride on a Full Suspension bike, no matter what brand.

    If the sag is set correctly, if using a DHX coil and you have the correct spring rate Bob should not be an issue!

    Later, time time to go home and clean my ride for next time! need to find some adavantages to keep up up with Momentus!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  9. #9
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,683
    Hey RARES, can you please explain your comments in more detail. You say "the Heckler is sound bobless" I cannot follow this.

    My spurts on a Moment, I have found it to be a great peddler.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by RARES
    The Heckler is sound bobless. Stand out of the saddle and the Moment sucks all u'r energy around. wollow wollow...

    E.

    COME ON !

    You are here by invited to ride my Moment.

    As much as I love the Heckler, the Moment is miles ahead ALSO in pedal efficiency terms. It ain't the 5 spot .

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,494

    Hardly.

    Quote Originally Posted by RARES
    The Heckler is sound bobless. Stand out of the saddle and the Moment sucks all u'r energy around. wollow wollow...

    E.
    Standing while pedalling will overcome the progressiveness of any shock on a bike that has 5"+ of travel. The exception is if you are riding a vpp bike or weigh 150lbs soaking wet with a hard on.

    I used to own a Heckler and it bobbed while riding out of the saddle. Even when I had the rear shock set up on the firmest setting, it stilled bobbed while I was mashing out of the saddle. It didn't bob much but it is easy to overcome the progressive suspension while standing. Riding the bike with suspension firmed up also took away from the quality of the ride.

    I should also add that I was running the 5th element on my Heckler.

  12. #12
    El Malo
    Reputation: Arm@ndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    547

    Pro's and Con's on both...

    Well, my XC rig is a Heckler outfitted with:
    - 5thElement coil
    - Marzocchi Z1FRQR20
    - Hayes Mag 8"
    - Holzfeller cranks
    - XT drivetrain
    - Mavic D321
    - Kenda 2.6 Front - Maxxis 2.5 rear
    - 45mm stem and MonkeyLite bar

    It replaced my old Scott Hardtail and after owning this SantaCruz, I my skills and confidence improved vastly.
    I have set up the shock from the get-go to a more firm ride and have not had to touch it in the 1.5 yrs I've had it. I have taken it on long 60mile mountain rides totally comfortable. Yes, I'm 6'4" and weigh 170lbs. I'm an "off the saddle" kinda guy and have experienced nothing but sweet love from that Heckler.
    I also like the big jumps and big drops and there has been only one or two more gnarly features I skipped out at the Whistler Bike Park this season.
    In fact, everything I've hit on my Ellsworth Dare up there has been pretty evenly matched on the Heckler. Sure, I know, Whistler is ultra groomed and nice but still that Heckler never ceases to amaze me.
    Now, I recommended and built a Moment for a friend (similar to the set up on my Heckler)and can say that after riding both, the Heckler and the Moment, I have to admit that the riding the Moment is very plush and efficient, no doubt. But it may be that the fact that the Moment is only a LG vs the XL size of my Heckler, the reason why I'm so much more comfortable riding my bike. Why is there no XL Moment available ?
    If there was something I really notice on my Heckler is the brake jack. But overall, I am used to it and can easily transition from my Dare and back with no problem.
    I can't wait to hop a leg over a Nomad and see about the hype.
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    663

    I rode a Heckler a few days ago.

    Swapped with a friend. The Heckler was a Large size, spec'd very similar to my Moment,
    although I might need a Medium my self, but the Large Heckler's top tube it still a bit shorter than my Medium Moment. Any way, the bike was a blast to ride. I actually felt better on it than on the Moment. Cant explain why really, just felt connected to the bike from the first moment (no pun intended). I didn't get to try it on technical climbs, but I will soon. If it's technical climbing ability is like the Moment (which is exceptional), and it can climb loose technical terrain without spinning the rear wheel, then it looks like bye bye Moment. Yes, it's that good

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    Swapped with a friend. The Heckler was a Large size, spec'd very similar to my Moment,
    although I might need a Medium my self, but the Large Heckler's top tube it still a bit shorter than my Medium Moment. Any way, the bike was a blast to ride. I actually felt better on it than on the Moment. Cant explain why really, just felt connected to the bike from the first moment (no pun intended). I didn't get to try it on technical climbs, but I will soon. If it's technical climbing ability is like the Moment (which is exceptional), and it can climb loose technical terrain without spinning the rear wheel, then it looks like bye bye Moment. Yes, it's that good
    It probably has to do with the fit. Sprockethead really wanted to get a Moment but he just couldn't seem to find the right size frame. He's between the large and the medium but neither gave him the warm and fuzzy. Something with the top tube length just didn't feel right to him. He later jumped on a Intense 6.6 and he just loves it so much because it made him feel right at home.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.