Thread: moment weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

moment weight?

Can anyone give me an idea of the weight of a average moment built up? Not one on Jenny Craig, but an average for trail build ups?

Rolling
    I would expect 32 lbs from a decently light but durable build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think if you build it up strong with 2.3 tyres min. and a Zoke Z1 or Fox 36 you're gonna be looking at around 32lb's maybe upto 34 even. If you go for saint and heavy wheels you could get it upto about 37 i think. Mine will end up probably 35lb's when it's reincarnated again!
    That's using DHX coil
    King steelset
    Fox 36 vanilla
    Sram
    Hope 6 pots
    Saint cranks
    Hope pro2 hubs and wide rims
    etc...etc..
    Ofcourse if you use an air shock, crossmax xl's, carbon, lightweight brakes and a fork such as Fox talas 130 (not enough fork imo) then you could get it to around 29lb's- the choice is yours, it's a versatile bike!
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thats what I was thinking. AMCH, whats the verdict on that spring shock vs the new air stuf out there....Im sure this has been gone over and over.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cakedvr
    thats what I was thinking. AMCH, whats the verdict on that spring shock vs the new air stuf out there....Im sure this has been gone over and over.....
    My Moment set up for trail scaled out at 31.5 w/ AM1, Avid mech, Crossmax Enduro, 2.4 and 2.3 UST sticky rubber tires. It has carbon riser bars, grip shift, ti saddle so there's not much left to shave without dumping significantly more money into the bike. I think to get it well below the 30# mark I'll have to go to skinny tires, Stan's system, hydro brakes and 5" air fork, most of which will sacrifice trail worthiness.

There is a very long thread in the Turner board that compares the DHX coil to the DHX Air.

mtbr member
    I've got mine topped out at 29.5 lbs. WIth Louise FR, and 2.4's. She's in the Ells posts somewhere if you can find her.
    Ellsworth Epiphany SST2 SRAM XO
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL
    9:Zero:7 SRAM X7

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapkos13
    I've got mine topped out at 29.5 lbs. WIth Louise FR, and 2.4's. She's in the Ells posts somewhere if you can find her.
    That's pretty good, especially when you have 2.4's on.

What fork are you using? I love the AM1 on mine but it's about over a pound more than the average 130mm Fox forks many folks are using.

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=118347

I guess this link won't work but it's right here. Look for 2005 Ells Moment what do you think thread.

I have the Talas R on it.
    Ellsworth Epiphany SST2 SRAM XO
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL
    9:Zero:7 SRAM X7

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cakedvr
    I have the Float R and DHX coil. The float is really quite good, nice and supple but gives the bike just over 5" of travel because it has a 2" stroke. The dhx gives 6" of travel with a 2.25" stroke. Overall i've gotta say the dhx wins easily, it just ramps up nicely and feels bottomless- it's better in every way, even if you've got an eye on the bikes weight i'd still get the coil- it's well worth the extra pound. If you've got the $$$ then put a titanium spring on it. Aesthetically the dhx fills the front triangle nicely and looks better than either of the air options.
    Can't comment on the dhx air but it does get the full 6" travel- can't match the coil though, i just don't think it's possible.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    MInes is 31.5 lbs. Average build with no really expensive stuff.

Med with DHX Air
    Pike Team
    XT cranks, ft derailleur, shifters, XTR rear derailleur
    Azonic carbon bar
    Cheap Easton stem
    Hope Bulb/ Velocity wheelset (1800gm)
    Thomson seatpost, WTB Rocket seat
    2.1 maxxis mobster tires
    old shimano 535 pedals (about 420g)

The only thing I can think of to shave some weight would be to replace the pedals and by using Stan's tubeless. That might drop the weight to 30.5 lb but I don't really care because 1 or 2 lbs lighter won't make me that much faster; only much more poorer.

Members who have read this thread: 0