mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Moment vs. Epiphany vs. 5spot vs. FXR 06

Hi guys!

I'm a french rider and I would like to have a piece of advice about these crazy american frames because a very few people rode it in France!!!
    I have ever read a lot of tests of these bikes on the forum by I can't decide myself, on which 5 inch trail bike will I ride in 06???
    First of all I want to specify my type of riding. I'm a physical and technical XC rider (25th at the UCI MX world cup in Oisans, France ;-)) but I want a second bike able to climb quite easly for several miles and to go very fast in the downhill but without saying me : "I'm riding my XC race bike, wether I burst it, no race this week-end!"
    At the beginning, I wanted a Moment with a air shock because I love the ICT and the anodized finish but when the Epiphany appears, I got doubt. What is the most adapted bike for me, a All-Mountain/XC bike perhaps not so different from my XC race bike or a AM/FR one more fun?
    A big problem of Ellsworth's bikes is the price, I love these bikes but there are so expensive!!! That's why I also think to buy a Turner 5Spot, the famous trail bike known for it perfect handling, good rear suspension and more "nice" price. I'm sure it is a more reasonnable choice but is it really as good as an Ellsworth?
    Very recently, I also discover some pictures of the new Foes FXR, what an amazing frame! So different from the FXR 05'. The price seems to be nicer than Ellsworth but how works the suspension? Is the Curnut a good rear shock (I think I've never seen a Curnut in France...perhaps on a mono but that's all)?

Please help me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hi
    I dont know the new Foes, so lets put that one aside for now and I'll reffer to the others.
    My choice would be the 2005 Moment.
    The Epiphany is similar to the 05' Moment, but it's lighter and can only accept up to 130mm fork. That will limit you from using today's bigger trail - bike forks, like the RS Pike, FOX Talas 36, Marzocchi AM1 and others. Since this is your second bike, and you will not be racing it, IMO it is worth the little extra weight in the Moment frame for it's better versatility, strength, and go-bigger abilities should you decide to go that way someday. You could still build it light and it will be very similar to the Epiphany.
    About that 5 spot, it's also a great bike, I had one before I got the Moment. I like the Moment better, it feels more stable on the downhills & technical stuff (because of the longer wheelbase). Also, the new 5 spots do not have horst link , I dont really know how this will effect its climbing abilities on loose terrain.
    About that Foes, its sure worth while checking it out...

mtbr member

Nice choices

All are great bikes and while ellsworths reputation has suffered in the last few years the new frames look really nice, I had a 2001 truth and it was quick. The Epiphany would be a better all around choice for a XC racer type I think but it may be too clode to you're current bike to justify the expense. I ride a 5 Spot now and it's my favorite all time trailbike but the new one is going through a fundamental change in suspension philosophy so it's hard to say if it will be as good as the current one. I know Turner makes bikes with outstanding angles so I sure it will be an outstanding bike. Foes; I've owned 2 and loved them both, if the original FXR had an uninterupted seat tube I would have bought one and probably never found out how good the 5 Spot is, and it's $500 to $800 U.S. cheaper than the Spot and ellsworth bikes so it's probably my overall shoice of the new all mountain frames. A recent answer to my email inquiry to Foes about the FXR said that it will be available as a 5" or 6" bike, customer choice but not both, you would order it as one or the other. Hope that helps.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The moment is not like a 5spot.

The moment is more like turners 6pack/rf6. The moment is an 8lb frame with a DHX shock, the 6 pack is an 8.5lb frame with a DHX shock. That is a much closer comparission and geometry wise the moment is also closer to the 6pack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Don't know anything about the Foe but the average Moment will build up to be around 30 pounds with beefy enough fork and tires. The average 5-Spot on the other hand, will build up to around 28 pounds. The Epiphany? Don't know since hardly anyone has seen or ridden one. But it is suppose to be light so I think it will build up to be lighter than the 5-Spot.

The 5-Spot rides great and out climbs the Moment, but the Moment will whip the Spot on the way down.

The Epiphany should be interesting, it directly challenges the 5-Spot I think. The first batch of delivery at many shops have all been purchased! There should be a lot of reports on it in a month or two when these owners take delivery of the Epiphany.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The 5-Spot rides great and out climbs the Moment, but the Moment will whip the Spot on the way down.

I had a 5 Spot & a Moment. The Moment whips the spot up or down. The Moment pedals much better than the spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thank you!

It's great to have the opinion of guys who really rode these bikes. Personnaly, I've only read test in "english-speaking" magazine and I've ever seen once a Moment in a show room, so it's hard to make a choice!
    I always hesitate, because in France the 5 Spot is really cheaper than Epiphany and it has a better shock than the Epiphany (DHX Air vs. RP3)! A Moment builds up "light" could also be a good choice for me. For the Foes, they are no longer available in France! But a new dealer will import these bikes very soon I think...
    Where's my mind, I have to make a choice!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm not going to get into a Turner vs. Ellsworth thing on this forum!

I bet you would love either. I have the Spot, and absolutely love it -- up, down, rolling and twisties. Haven't ridden the Moment, so can't say.

I will say that, in the event of an unexpected problem, Turner customer service is the best in the biz. I've been riding them for years, and had a few issues, and they were always resolved in less than a week. If it's peak riding season, that counts for a lot.

I have always lusted after a Foes FXR. If they made an XL version, I would give it a try. For you though, in France, keep in mind that any issues with the Curnutt shock might require returning it to Foes in the USA for service. It's a lot easier to service the Fox rear shock on the Turner or Ellsworth.

Pick one, enjoy, and don't second guess yourself. And don't worry about the weight. If you are that strong in xc racing, your friends will be glad to see you show up on a heavier bike!

trail fairy
    VinceTT

I think Kosmo raises some good points here, one they are all good bikes, in most cases with most boutique brands I think they have there second generation stuff is pretty well sorted! And the Moment has been rock solid.

The Foes is interesting and no doubt will be a nice machine cost could be offset if you have any issues with the curnutt! Which is also good, but you may have little support.

Turner sweet machine but IMO maybe a little close if you have too bikes! Plus this whole TNT thing is a downer again only MO I have had allot of respect for Turner up to this point, and will see how it plays when the dust settles!

Ellsworth Moment gives you allot of choice, build it with a DHX air if you want a lighter build AM1 or Pike and she'll rock your world, go a little heavier DHX coil, Fox 36, Z1 ETA light would be my choice, and you'll have everything youre after.

You pay for what you get and you will get your payback over time from quality and something unique plus a big factor is the compatibility with many different shock and fork options some are better than others, but most are easlily sought supported a big bounus if your shock craps out, try waiting for your proprietry shock to be fixed if it happens its a bummer.

The new factory will probably mean higher prices, but as I said you save the bottom line over the longer run, I haven't wanted any other bike over mine own bikes since owing an E
    only UGI component Itis which is darn hard cause its all good shiat anyway, so I only replace stuff as it wears out, except for a new fork I sprung for recently my AM1 oh shes a beauty.

Anyways good luck..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0