mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Moment vs. 2006 Foes FXR 2.1

I am going to buy a new all mountain bike and I am seriously looking at the 06 Foes FXR and the Moment. I am 6' and 220 lbs. I live in SLC, Utah and do about 33% downhill, 33% uphill and 33%XC riding. There is about a $450 dollar difference between the two with the same build kit. I am worried that no one really has a new FXR. Also, I worry that Foes is such a small brand that if I ever go to sell it there will little market for it as compared with the Moment that has a very vibrant secondary market. I believe the Moment will hold much more of its value than the FXR (not that I think I would sell it but it is a legitimate consideration.) My concern on the Ellsworth is that they have some history of poor customer service and quality issues. To pay that kind of money worries me if there has been a quality issue in the recent past. I understand they are working to overcome that but it is still a concern.

Any feedback here would be appreciated.

JT

Time is not a road.
    Since 2004, the first year of the Moment, I've not heard of any quality issues with it.

As far as CS goes, you really have to treat what you hear with a grain of salt. There are a thousand stories and they're all different. Unfortunately, you only hear the bad stuff. Lately, it's been very good in the CS department.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nothing personal but the CS and breakage issues have been brought up over and over again like a broken record. It's a tired subject.

Don't know all the details but a lot of it surrounds the breakage issue of the 2001 Truth. There were some bad blood/threads between TE and owners flying around on this forum that caused a lot of controversies and bad feeling.

The Truth has gone through a bit of re-design and beefing up and it has been doing very well in the last couple of years. The Moment, as Chad has stated has had no report of breakage on this board. Lately Ellworth's customer service has really stepped up and an owner with a warranty issue from way back was contacted to make things right. Everytime I called Ellsworth CS they have always been very helpful. When I met them at events they have always been really helpful and worked on my bikes for free. An old shock that went bad was replaced for me free of charge at one of these events after years of use...and I wasn't even the original owner for that particular frame!

I think the important lesson here for Ellsworth is that the "customer is always right" and never get into a public verbal match no matter what the circumstance is. They will never come out ahead and will be left with a stench for a long time to come...such as this one.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

Should have a good comparison soon...

I have a Moment, my one friend has a Moment and I'm told his brand new FXR (L) just shipped today, and a third friend has a Truth and a brand new FXR (M) frame sitting at his house. I can't wait until he builds it up so I can ride it!

The medium is a 5" and the large is a 6", both with Ti springs. We swap bikes all the time and I'm anxious to try the new 2:1 FXR.

The FXR frame (with upgraded Ti shock) weighs about the same as my Moment (with a Vanilla RC), which is around 8.2lbs. I really like my Moment for aggressive XC riding. It climbs incredibly well. Blasts thru rock gardens - that's where it really excells. On the negative side, it's a little slow to accelerate (due to weight at 29-31 lbs), and it's not snappy enough for the tight trees in NE singletrack. The geometry of the FXR may solve the tight handling, but I think you'll lose out to the Moment on the steep, technical climbs. The Moment glues inself to the ground on the steeps. It's unreal.

I hope that helps and I'll provide an update when I get a chance to ride the FXR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu1
    I have a Moment, my one friend has a Moment and I'm told his brand new FXR (L) just shipped today, and a third friend has a Truth and a brand new FXR (M) frame sitting at his house. I can't wait until he builds it up so I can ride it!

The medium is a 5" and the large is a 6", both with Ti springs. We swap bikes all the time and I'm anxious to try the new 2:1 FXR.

The FXR frame (with upgraded Ti shock) weighs about the same as my Moment (with a Vanilla RC), which is around 8.2lbs. I really like my Moment for aggressive XC riding. It climbs incredibly well. Blasts thru rock gardens - that's where it really excells. On the negative side, it's a little slow to accelerate (due to weight at 29-31 lbs), and it's not snappy enough for the tight trees in NE singletrack. The geometry of the FXR may solve the tight handling, but I think you'll lose out to the Moment on the steep, technical climbs. The Moment glues inself to the ground on the steeps. It's unreal.

I hope that helps and I'll provide an update when I get a chance to ride the FXR.
    You and your friends own some nice bikes. I look forward to your analysis of the two. I think they are both great bikes and that is what makes the decision difficult.

JT

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

There more....

Quote Originally Posted by jate
    You and your friends own some nice bikes. I look forward to your analysis of the two. I think they are both great bikes and that is what makes the decision difficult.

JT
    I didn't mention the rest of the herd - I have an old Santa Cruz SL that I've now passed down to my son, and mister FXR/Moment also has a Blur (which will probably be for sale real soon). On top of that, I have an Epiphany on order which I believe will give me the ultimate ride that I'm searching for (just wish they had a DHX air or coil option). Then the Moment may be for sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jate
    I am worried that no one really has a new FXR. Also, I worry that Foes is such a small brand that if I ever go to sell it there will little market for it as compared with the Moment that has a very vibrant secondary market. I believe the Moment will hold much more of its value than the FXR............JT

whoever knows about Ellsworth will almost certainly know FOES. Foes has been around longer, has a dedicated race heritage, and if you're not ghostriding it off cliffs, i wouldn't worry about durability of the foes. I'd say, in resale terms, that the curbside appeal of the Foes(almost any foes) will beat out a lot of competing frames, even if they're single pivot. I would guess there are plenty more zit-faced teens drooling at Foes frames than Ellsworth frames.

The FXR is rare, and for good reason, and it's pure bling in of itself on the trail.
    And the new 2:1? sounds interesting, i'd love to try it out..

Members who have read this thread: 0