mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Moment - Rear suspension installed upside down?

Here is the DHX5 Air on my new moment. The shock seems to me installed upside down. Is it for any particular reason or doesn't really matter?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think it's so that you can actually put air in it
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Rolling
    That is bad! The mojo will leak right out!

(it's good. Rear shocks work in any orientation, and man called horse is correct. It would suck to not be able to fill it.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    That is bad! The mojo will leak right out!

(it's good. Rear shocks work in any orientation, and man called horse is correct. It would suck to not be able to fill it.)
    Here is one example of the "right" orientation (I borrow Bob the wheel builder's picture):

Maybe because my frame is a Small?

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfish
    Here is the DHX5 Air on my new moment. The shock seems to me installed upside down. Is it for any particular reason or doesn't really matter?
    I don't think it'll fit right-side up because the rocker will hit the schrader valve. Do make sure there is enough clearance between the downtube and the PP knob at full compression/travel, looks kinda close.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I don't think it'll fit right-side up because the rocker will hit the schrader valve. Do make sure there is enough clearance between the downtube and the PP knob at full compression/travel, looks kinda close.
    Yes, it does look dangerously close. I'll try full compression once it's built (the shock is extremely firm even when the main air chamber is empty).

What about other Moments with DHX Air? I can't be the only one. Hello there...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Is that a newframe ?
    I thought the newer ones had ICT etched on the top tube and not the older kind of graphics...

edited: P.S.
    The shock does not fit in any other way. The schrader valve will not clear the rockers if you place the shock the other way round. On the RP3 you could reverse it, placing the valve towards the front end of the bike, but on the DHX you got the piggyback on the way...
    You can also check out the new Ellsworth 2006 catalog, the Moment pictures there has the shock exactly like yours.
    Last edited by PizzaMan; 10-16-2005 at 11:07 PM.

sock puppet

it is fine...

there is no right or wrong orientation for the shock. it will work in either orientation just the same...

how do i know?

i thought the 5th element on my Truth was upside down so i spoke with both ellsworth and progressive and they both said the same thing that i told you above...

enjoy the ride.

oggie

Amphibious Technologies
    Yes, it does look dangerously close. I'll try full compression once it's built (the shock is extremely firm even when the main air chamber is empty).
    Before you compress the shock with no air in the main chamber, make sure there is about 150PSI in the BO chamber/reservoir to prevent damage. Then let the shock extend by itself (don't pull on it) and let it get back to full extension by pumping air into the main chamber.

I've seen a DHX air on a couple moments and they work fine in that orientation. Actually air shocks may even arguably work better in that orientation (less unsprung weight).
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 10-17-2005 at 11:29 AM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Upset

Thanks guys for all the reply. Now I'm ok with the shock orientation.

Pizzaman - I just got the frame last week and it was supposed to be a new 2005 frame (ordered through my LBS from Ellsworth), but now I think I might have got a 2004 one because the serial number starts 04....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Does your Moment rocker have a round carbon cross beam or a flat, triangular one? I think that design was changed later in 2005 so if you have the flat one it should be the 2005 frame.

I just got my Moment 2 weeks ago and I think the serial may also start with a 4 but I'll have to check. It may not necessarily mean it was manufactured in 2004.

The Moment hasn't been out that long, a bit over a year?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My Moment looks exactly like yours, with the smaller and understated ICT sticker and round carbon brace. My serial # also starts with 04. I believe mines is a 2004 model because when I bought it in August 2005, it was discounted from the retail price.

It came with a DHX 5.0 Coil shock but I bought a DHX Air replacement. I tried installing the DHX Air upright but it was a no-go because the rocker would obstruct the schraeder valve for the main chamber. At first, I was concerned about the shock hitting the seat and down tubes but to my surprise, the shock doesn't move too much (if at all) laterally during compression.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ahimanic - I have the flat triangular crossbeam, so at least the rear triangle is a 2005?

gooseguy - thanks for the clarification about the shock. For a discounted price, I wouldn't mind getting a 2004 model either.
    Last edited by skyfish; 10-17-2005 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    [QUOTE=I just got my Moment 2 weeks ago and I think the serial may also start with a 4 but I'll have to check. It may not necessarily mean it was manufactured in 2004.QUOTE]

I stand corrected, my serial starts with 05.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ahimanic - I have the flat triangular crossbeam, so at least the rear triangle is a 2005?

gooseguy - thanks for the clarification about the shock. For a discounted price, I wouldn't mind getting a 2004 model either.
    I noticed there are three serial numbers: One under the BB, one under the chain stay cross section, and one on the drop out. They all start out with the letter "W" and 2 more letters, then followed by either 05 or 5. Didn't find any serial on the rocker though.

Members who have read this thread: 0