The Turtle

New question here. Moment Cable Slap (End it?)

Hello all!!

I am the amazingly excited first time owner of a brand new Moment! I've had the bike for about a week now, and I absolutely love everything about it! I am coming up from a Trek 6500, so as you can tell, this a HUGE step up and a whole new direction.

Anyways - I was wondering what everyone here does to stop the brake cable and shifter cables that run along the top tube from making such a racket on even the smallest of drops? With my LBS guys I've worked out a couple things that seem like they will work temporarily, but I wondered if anyone had some much more permanent solutions other than using zipties, and/or doughnuts, etc...

Thanks!! And I plan to be spending much time in the MTBR forums Ellsworth section!!
    Last edited by Reedly; 02-03-2006 at 12:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That has not been a problem with my Moment.

Try sticking this under your top tube for the brake cable. You don't need to use a zip tie.

I run Avid Flak Jacket for derailleur cables and the red plastic inserts keep the cables stiff and from slapping the top tube.

Time is not a road.
    I get that rattle on the front, too. It's just the cables knocking together. I was looking at it the other day - I think I'm going to move them around a bit. Generally, I've noticed this on all of my bikes from time to time. Perhaps better cables are the answer - Goodridge, Flak Jackets, Jagwire.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I get that rattle on the front, too. It's just the cables knocking together. I was looking at it the other day - I think I'm going to move them around a bit. Generally, I've noticed this on all of my bikes from time to time. Perhaps better cables are the answer - Goodridge, Flak Jackets, Jagwire.
    The heavier hyd lines like the Goodridge actually makes it worse . I wrapped a extra large Lizard skin around my TT to reduce the noise. Ells really needs to ad a 3rd tie-down point in the middle of the TT.
    Nothing to see here.

Time is not a road.
    That would be my biggest complaint of the Ellsworth bikes I've had is cable routing. Perhaps it's an issue on a lot of bikes, though, and with the amount of suspension involved, there's bound to be movement of the cables somewhere.

No wonder Ipods are becoming so popular for bikers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Add that platic stick-on hydraulic line clip mentioned in my post above. I put one under the middle of the top tube on the Moment. It works great and costs only $2.50. Since it's under the top tube you won't even know it's there.

Do you guys run un-interrupted gear cables?

The Turtle
    Cool - thanks for your replies!!

I think I'll try the adhesive piece you suggested...Just out of curiosity - does the adhesive stick reliably for the most part? Or will I be replacing this piece again and again?

Thanks for the help!
    I plan to get some pics up in the pics thread soon!!

Reedly.

5 x 5

Better treat Mr. Sticky nice...

...as your adhesive cable guides won't be going anywhere.

I put two under my TT four months ago and forgot about them. They work so well I just stuck another on my fork to keep the front brake housing off the fork crown.

Tip: Buy a pack of little zip ties. Some brush ripped the housing off the guide; the zip tie broke but the guide never came unglued.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Mine has been on for about 4 months too and it looks good. No sign of it coming off

I don't even bother using the little zip tie on the cable housing. The clip is pretty secure.

Only One Way
    Sep 2004

Welcome

Reedly welcome to the dark side.. the whole internet just imagine..

I swear next time I ride I will give you a call... Sorry about the MTSU thing ... I am just glad you like your new ride..

C

mtbr member
    I cross my gear cables under the top tube (i.e., the rear der cable enters on the LEFT side of the head tube, crosses to the other side and exits at the rear of the top tube on the right). The crossed cables prevent slap AND allows the housing to run from the bars to the top tube without rubbing against the head tube. I LIKE the way the cables run on the Moment!

Members who have read this thread: 0