Brass Nipples!

Moment on Antelope Island

I rode with my brother-in-law at Antelope Island yesterday. It is a desert island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake in northern Utah. It had rained quite a bit the 24 hours before, but the soil is very sandy and the ground was completely dry. We saw buffalo, coyotes, deer and chukar partridge. The ride starts at near lake level and climbs to the lake Bonneville bench twice for a total of about 1500 feet of climbing in about 10 miles. There are just a few techy spots, but for the most part the ride is more scenic than challenging.

I've ridden with both tscheezy and KRob lately and I can see why they're famous for their pictures. I have decided to take more pictures of my riding and less of the "leaning bike" variety. My camera has an interval function and I played with that yesterday. I set up a mini tripod and had the camera take a picture every 10 seconds. It made for some interesting series.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Brass Nipples!

Some more pics

These three were my favorites.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    These three were my favorites.
    Great scenery, can you tell how the Moment took the climbs?
    All say this bike is great on a tech stough, I wonder how do they take uphills which is not technical.
    Spare some review of the bike.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfild
    Great scenery, can you tell how the Moment took the climbs?
    All say this bike is great on a tech stuff, I wonder how do they take uphills which is not technical.
    Spare some review of the bike.
    The moment climbs like a mountain goat on crank. There were a lot of spots where traction was at a premium and the rear just stayed hooked up and active.

A lot of bikes shine on descents (so does the Moment), but the Moment pedals over rough stuff and climbs better than the pure descenders.

For techy/sketchy climbs, I think the bike is superb. On the other hand if the climb is smooth with good traction, a lighter bike would be faster simply because of the weight difference. The Moment doesn't loose much energy in bobbing or other bad behavior, but you still have to move the weight up the hill.

No, that's not phonetic
    I like the barrel distortion in the first shot. Gives a panoramic effect. I am also a big devotee of "environmental portraits", or putting the subject into the context of their environment like you did in the last few. Close cropped action shots are nice and have their place, but put the subject into a sweeping vista and show how the subject relates to that scene is very effective. It is HARD with a self-timer though. I can count all the self exposed shots I like on one hand, and I've taken a lot. The key is to take a LOT of pics. The electrons don't mind.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The moment climbs like a mountain goat on crank. There were a lot of spots where traction was at a premium and the rear just stayed hooked up and active.

A lot of bikes shine on descents (so does the Moment), but the Moment pedals over rough stuff and climbs better than the pure descenders.

For techy/sketchy climbs, I think the bike is superb. On the other hand if the climb is smooth with good traction, a lighter bike would be faster simply because of the weight difference. The Moment doesn't loose much energy in bobbing or other bad behavior, but you still have to move the weight up the hill.
    Thanks for your notes of the climbing ability of this bike.
    My frame will be at my side in a week or so and I hope I didnt make mistake here because I like XC as well as riding tech and I was afraid it will feel like a tank going up smooth climbs. Thats why I'm considering to install my light Talas RL fork instead of buying more travel one.
    Which fork do you have on?

Got Rogued!

... and if we just ... What I can tell...

... from my personal experience is that when you pair a 7,875 X 2,00 shock (to have 5,25 inches of travel) with a 125-130mm fork, the result is astonishing! Let me explain to you... I have 2 forks/shocks for my 15" Moment: a Marzocchi Z-150SL 2004 with the Romic Twin Tube (2.25 of stroke, came from an Id)) for my small freeride needs (shuttling) AND a Rock Shox Psylo SL 2003 with the Fox Float R Custom Valved (2.00 of stroke) from Ellsworth for my cross-country/epic needs.
    With both equipment the bike is perfect. Climbs like a goat. Traction is not a problem. ICT (or whatever it can be called) seems to work the bike in harmony. I have that "balanced" feeling. When I lean the bike on my appartement's wall, I surprise myself having thoughts of the ride, and how it rides well, and about the smile that was on my face, AND that makes me wishing for another ride...
    It's simple, my only wishing is to have more time to ride on this delectable ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by raceimp
    ... from my personal experience is that when you pair a 7,875 X 2,00 shock (to have 5,25 inches of travel) with a 125-130mm fork, the result is astonishing! Let me explain to you... I have 2 forks/shocks for my 15" Moment: a Marzocchi Z-150SL 2004 with the Romic Twin Tube (2.25 of stroke, came from an Id)) for my small freeride needs (shuttling) AND a Rock Shox Psylo SL 2003 with the Fox Float R Custom Valved (2.00 of stroke) from Ellsworth for my cross-country/epic needs.
    With both equipment the bike is perfect. Climbs like a goat. Traction is not a problem. ICT (or whatever it can be called) seems to work the bike in harmony. I have that "balanced" feeling. When I lean the bike on my appartement's wall, I surprise myself having thoughts of the ride, and how it rides well, and about the smile that was on my face, AND that makes me wishing for another ride...
    It's simple, my only wishing is to have more time to ride on this delectable ride.
    wow, your realy make me itch all over for the long wait for the bikes..... :-)))
    Saddly to say I have only one system taking off my stumpjumper.
    So,the only pair I'll have - Talas RL (90-130) and the DHX Air (6").
    Feeling stable with the Talas is in question here, everyones talking about the steep angle I can get with a short fork (130,is it short?), on the other hand it will be great for XC because its light (1.7 kg) .
    The big question here, will I feel secure and stable going down tech stough (not big jumps) using a 130 fork and not 150 the great Marzocchi offers?
    Thats what the Moment is about isnt it?

Brass Nipples!
    Thanks for your notes of the climbing ability of this bike.
    My frame will be at my side in a week or so and I hope I didnt make mistake here because I like XC as well as riding tech and I was afraid it will feel like a tank going up smooth climbs. Thats why I'm considering to install my light Talas RL fork instead of buying more travel one.
    Which fork do you have on?
    I started with a TALAS 130 and enjoyed it a lot, but I've switched to a 36 TALAS RC2 and I think it's a better overall match for me.

I'd just put on your TALAS RL, and if you start wishing you had more travel you can look at longer travel forks then. The ride is still very good with a 130 mm front, but you'll likely leave it at full extension all the time. The bike is sturdy enough that a through axle 6 inch travel fork brings the front's ability more in line with what that of the back end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I started with a TALAS 130 and enjoyed it a lot, but I've switched to a 36 TALAS RC2 and I think it's a better overall match for me.

I'd just put on your TALAS RL, and if you start wishing you had more travel you can look at longer travel forks then. The ride is still very good with a 130 mm front, but you'll likely leave it at full extension all the time. The bike is sturdy enough that a through axle 6 inch travel fork brings the front's ability more in line with what that of the back end.
    Thanks man, will do that.
    Spent all my money on the damm frame any how.
    This hobby is a big pain in my bank account :-(

Got Rogued!
    @ Garfild : all the hype about the "steep" head angle really depends of your needs... I know that several people saying that uses the Fox DHX 5.0 rear damper, that have 2,25 inches of stroke (6 inches on the frame...). But when you have the Fox Float R rear damper (2,00 inches of stroke), it is perfectly balanced with a 5" - 130mm fork...
    You know what? This steep head angle will only show you the cross-country side evidence on this frame! Further more, perhaps it is steep, but it is not as steep as a real cross-country frame or bike... As when you put a longer fork, the effect will be at the opposite, slacker head angle means a more stable platform (frame) for more agressive handling to attack steeper downhills...

And as you said, you will have the DHX Air damper (2,25")... Perhaps that you will feel the need for a longer stroke fork, but give what you already have a try (it's not like putting a 100mm fork on this frame)... That said, in any ways this frame shine!

MMMmmmm... DHX air!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by raceimp
    @ Garfild : all the hype about the "steep" head angle really depends of your needs... I know that several people saying that uses the Fox DHX 5.0 rear damper, that have 2,25 inches of stroke (6 inches on the frame...). But when you have the Fox Float R rear damper (2,00 inches of stroke), it is perfectly balanced with a 5" - 130mm fork...
    You know what? This steep head angle will only show you the cross-country side evidence on this frame! Further more, perhaps it is steep, but it is not as steep as a real cross-country frame or bike... As when you put a longer fork, the effect will be at the opposite, slacker head angle means a more stable platform (frame) for more agressive handling to attack steeper downhills...

And as you said, you will have the DHX Air damper (2,25")... Perhaps that you will feel the need for a longer stroke fork, but give what you already have a try (it's not like putting a 100mm fork on this frame)... That said, in any ways this frame shine!

MMMmmmm... DHX air!
    Thanks for the info raceimp,
    It is great to have people that care and offer their advises.
    As you and Bob have said, I will stick with the Talas and see what it feels like.
    One more week......

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Need to make a decision about the fork - help!!

Hi, I need to make a decision regards switching the fork or not on my Moment bike.
    To summ thing up I have a new Fox Talas and the dealer offers me 2 options:
    Add 150$ and get RockShock Pike 426 or Add 300$ and have the AM1(05).
    What would you advise?
    I dont want to mess with selling the forks myself so the trade in is tempting.
    If I leave the Talas, I will ride it for a big while, so spare your advise on that.
    Does the Pike count as a good fork?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    To clarify things,
    I cannot afford Fox Talas 36 and new Am1.
    So the issue here if the pike(95-140) worth adding 150$ and the extra 500 gr weight, or should I go with the more expansive AM1(130-150)?
    Or leave you guys a lone and stick with the Talas (90-130)
    Sorry if I mess your head
    Jo

Brass Nipples!
    To clarify things,
    I cannot afford Fox Talas 36 and new Am1.
    So the issue here if the pike(95-140) worth adding 150$ and the extra 500 gr weight, or should I go with the more expansive AM1(130-150)?
    Or leave you guys a lone and stick with the Talas (90-130)
    Sorry if I mess your head
    Jo
    I've heard good things about both forks, but I think the AM1 would give you a better match to the frame. I don't think you will want to ever run much less than 130 mm of travel, but the extra 10 mm on the tall end will likely get used a lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Garfild, I'm a bit confused about your deal. Do you mean you have to give your new Talas to the dealer along with $150 for Pike 426 or $300 for 2005 AM1?

If that is the case, you are not getting much of a deal at all! The 2005 AM1 are going for $400-450 right now. The 2006 Pike is around the same price range I think. You can find 2005 lower end Pikes for around mid $300, top of the line Pike Team for a bit over $400.

Your new Talas is worth quite a bit of money, definitely more than the $150-$200 the dealer is effectively giving you for your fork. I think you're much better off selling your Talas and buying a new fork elsewhere.

Go check out the prices on www.qbike.com

I agree with Bob, the Moment is better served with a 140mm or 150mm fork. I think if you go with a 130mm you'll wish for more travel down the road. Remember, you can always adjust down your travel with Pike's U-turn or AM1's TAS adjustments. You do pay about a 1 pound penalty on the Pike and AM1 though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks guys,
    Lots to think about this weekend.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Both of the forks you mention sound good, i would personally fit a coil fork over air every time. I'm sure you know that the Pike will need a 20mm axle, if you've got a convertible hub then it's no problem. Everyone who has posted about the AM1 has not just said that it's good- they've raved about it, and that would be my choice, preferably an '06 in black- if you can stretch to it then i'm sure you'd be happy that you did.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Members who have read this thread: 0