mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Loss of Chainstay screw

Hello-

I have a 2002 Truth and have twice lost the screw that attaches the drivetrain-side chainstay to the rear derailleur hanger midride.

First, has anyone experienced this problem?
    Second, does anybody know how to eliminate this problem - i.e. has anybody used lock-tite, for example?

Any advice would be great....

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DBoy
    Hello-

I have a 2002 Truth and have twice lost the screw that attaches the drivetrain-side chainstay to the rear derailleur hanger midride.

Second, does anybody know how to eliminate this problem - i.e. has anybody used lock-tite, for example?

I occasionally have to tighten down that screw on mine, but it has never come that loose. Call Ell. and see what they say- there is some type of loctite on the screws.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks

Thanks, i have already emailed them. Just curious if others have had similar issues. Loc-tite is a must for the next install.....

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I occasionally have to tighten down that screw on mine, but it has never come that loose. Call Ell. and see what they say- there is some type of loctite on the screws.

mtbr member

I had the same problem on a 2004 Truth

Hello-

I lost the same one on my first ride of a brand new Truth. I called EW, and they indicated that they never really heard of this happening. The tech indicated that they install those bolts with blue loctite. They sent me some spare bolts, and suggested that I secure the bolt with blue loctite. It would've been for free, but I had them overnight it...so I paid for the shipping, but it was a positive warranty experience for me nonetheless. Anyway, I torqued the bolt to EW's spec (6 to 8 N-m, I seem to recall) with blue loctite, and I've never had a problem since. BTW, I now periodically check the torque on those bolts...every other ride or so. I hope this helps.

Drugstore Trailrider

I check Every Nut and Bolt about once a week.

With a decent set of allen wrenches from 4 to 10mm, you can tighten almost everything there is to tighten on an Ellsworth (or any other bike for that matter).

About once a week I put the bike up on a work-stand and go from front to back putting a wrench on every connection. It takes about 2 minutes, and I have never had anything come loose while riding since I started doing this.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Loctite the small bolts and grease the 8mm pivot bolts...

Hello-

Like almost every other bolt on your bike, the pivot bolts need to have either grease or loctitie applied. I loctite the smaller bolts and apply grease to the 8mm pivots. You can't expect anything that moves and gets rattled that much to stay put on its own.