mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Lightest Id / Moment out there !?

Over the past year, I've transformed my Id from a heavier/rough trail riding setup to a more lean XC marathon bike. romic for rp3, vanilla for float, heavy wheelset for superlight, etc. I haven't weighed it yet... I never considered myself a WW, but I have to admit I'm liking light. Was just curious what the lightest Id's or even Moments were out there?

853+29+1x24=Fun
    My bathroom scale says my Id is 27 lbs, but its a bad way to weigh a bike.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by mbexx
    Over the past year, I've transformed my Id from a heavier/rough trail riding setup to a more lean XC marathon bike. romic for rp3, vanilla for float, heavy wheelset for superlight, etc. I haven't weighed it yet... I never considered myself a WW, but I have to admit I'm liking light. Was just curious what the lightest Id's or even Moments were out there?
    Mine: small with RP3, Aluminum sex bolts, carbon bars, 1800g wheelset, TALAS fork, XT cranks integrated BB, SRAM XOs; weighs 28 lbs on an Alpine Digital Scale. I can probably drop about 1/2-3/4 lb if I went with a carbon crank, carbon seat post, super light tires, and Ti linkage bolts; but why do that?
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 10-25-2005 at 01:44 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

5 x 5

28 lb Moment

My Moment's at 28 pounds. I'm probably goign to go a little heavier, switching to a DHX Air and a Marz AM1 (in place of the Float R and Marathon XC). Right under 30 pounds, I'd think.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    How comfortable do you feel with the aluminum sex bolts? I know aluminum does have a finite fatigue life. What about going Ti with all the suspension bolts? I know 6-4 Ti has some pretty good strength properties. Or maybe the cost isn't worth it compared to the small (miniscule?) weight savings. I'm turning into a weight weenie.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    How comfortable do you feel with the aluminum sex bolts? I know aluminum does have a finite fatigue life. What about going Ti with all the suspension bolts? I know 6-4 Ti has some pretty good strength properties. Or maybe the cost isn't worth it compared to the small (miniscule?) weight savings. I'm turning into a weight weenie.
    Al sex bolts are the ones used in the Truth. They fit the Id and are fine. Ti bolts just look cool and are very light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    My ID is ~30lbs and now that I have a BigHit I may drop it another pound or two next season, but I doubt that would make me ride any faster. I just want the bling factor of cranks from this decade and maybe an air shock to try out. However, I love the Romic right now. A pound of weight on your ride is more in your mind than anything real. Lack of confidence in your rides durability is far more distracting, and comfort and control are worth a lot. I'm sure you could get this bike to 24 lbs, but I'm not riding that bike, and I only weight 150. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

29.5 lb Moment

Frame: 3266 g
    Fork: 1798 g
    Brake: 1000 g
    Drivetrain: 2585 g
    Wheelset/tires: 3637
    Others (bars, saddle, etc.): 1095 g

Total 13381 g or 29.5 lb

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Pullin' a tank

I just built up an '05 ID and it is heavier than my previous FS rig (cannondale) and I can feel the poundage on the climbs. I want to keep the AM1 because it is ever so sweet. I am tossing the romic for an RP3 as many have done before. It will be difficult to part with my RF LP's, but I need ISIS and cranks that are lighter. Anyone have suggestions for lightweight yet durable crankset and cassette????

DOW

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by deathonwheels
    I just built up an '05 ID and it is heavier than my previous FS rig (cannondale) and I can feel the poundage on the climbs. I want to keep the AM1 because it is ever so sweet. I am tossing the romic for an RP3 as many have done before. It will be difficult to part with my RF LP's, but I need ISIS and cranks that are lighter. Anyone have suggestions for lightweight yet durable crankset and cassette????
    Did you check-out the Id set-up database thread? I recommend XTR cranks and cassette; light & durable.

"Its All Good"
    As S Pro mentions, take a look at the ID build thread, there is loads of setups in there.

My ID is way light, the only thing that weighs a bit is the AM1 fork, but would not move away from that, well possibly the poo brown colour, but nothing else.

I have RF Deuce cranks and a SRAM cassette, real pleased. I now have the new XO Triggers and the XO medium cage rare D, very light, saves a few grams over the 05 XO rare D.

I am not all out for light weught, the build and ungradeitis has made it this way, wouldnt change a thing though now.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deathonwheels

DOW
    The old XT cranks are pretty light for non-X type BB. They are really cheap right now too, about $89. They're good cranks.

Members who have read this thread: 0