Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Joker and 66 SL

  1. #1
    Jii
    Jii is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    126

    Joker and 66 SL

    Ok, here's the lowdown:

    I'm in the middle of winter UGI, there's 5 feet of snow outside and it's absolutely freezing (-20 c degrees). I havent been very satisfied with my 6" Sherman Flick, mainly because of the poor small bump sensitivity, but also because I feel that I need a bit slacker angle for downhilling. I have seriously been considering the 2006 Marzocchi 66 SL, mainly because of the fact that it's fairly light, it's very adjustable travelwise (my 2004 Joker is my do-it-all bike, "epic" trailriding to downhilling) and it's been getting very good reviews all over.

    The a-to-c on the Sherman is 530 mm and on the 66 SL in 170 mode it's supposed to be about 565 mm. I've been thinking about installing a flush headset in order to save about 15 mm, so that the net increase in a-to-c measure would be somewhere in the ballpark of 20 mm, which would slacken the angles by about a degree, which would be enough for me.

    My only doubts are about the fact that the SL is an air only fork. I know everyone is raving about it feeling like a coil fork, but I really would like to know for sure that I get all this buttery, progressive travel which is the main reason for the upgrade. I weigh 220 lbs without gear so I guess that makes a difference too regarding plushness.

    Comments and opinions are welcome!

  2. #2
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    Check out the Turner forum. A lot of guys over there are trying the 66SL and seem to be loving it. Marzocchi's air forks really are plush, more so that one might expect.

  3. #3
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Very nice fork IMO. I almost have mine completely broken in and it feels more coil-like every ride. The 35mm stanchions make the fork steer much more precisely than my 32mm Zocchi. I am 215-220lbs at the moment and have no problems getting a good set-up for my weight.


    A-2-C at 170mm is closer to 555mm / 150 - 535mm / 130 - 515mm and so on. Yes it will run sub 150mm travel settings with out exceeding the negative chambers max psi

    Nothing to see here.

  4. #4
    Jii
    Jii is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    126
    Thanks guys, just as I expected...One hour ago Steelduck and I ordered ours..I wonder how fast DHL can be 8).... The a-to-c is really very reasonable in 170 mm mode, I'm really not sure if I should use the normal or the flush lower cups, but hey, time will tell. I don't think I'll ever go lower than 150 mm, so it doesn't really matter how low it really can go.

    I have to say that the rave reviews here on MTBR really had a huge influence on my decision. As far as I know, no one here in Finland has one yet..

  5. #5
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Did you order a low (100 or 200 psi max) air pump. You will need it.

    I also recommend getting some finish line stanchion lube. It takes a long while to get this fork broken in.
    Nothing to see here.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steelduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    441
    Yes we did... Jii and I ordered 2 66SL's and 0-100PSI pumps. Jii will install it to the Joker and I will install it to my Uzzi VPX... (Sorry for invading) HURRY UP DHL!!!!

  7. #7
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    And so when they get there, then what? Pray for snowmelt?

  8. #8
    Jii
    Jii is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    126
    Harhar! ...But basically, yes? We'll have plenty of time playing with the adjustments though....

  9. #9
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,589
    Jii, I don't think that you will be disappointed with your choice. Be patient with the break in period, and you will be rewarded.
    ****

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steelduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Jii
    Harhar! ...But basically, yes? We'll have plenty of time playing with the adjustments though....
    I am going riding this weekend on what ever the temp is...

  11. #11
    Jii
    Jii is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    126
    I got the Behemoth yesterday, it is pretty massive isn't it . Installed it already, but I'll have to switch to the flush lower cup on the weekend, so that it won't be so raked out. It's absolutely not too much as it is, but I'll still try the flush cups..

    The fork was, well, INCREDIBLY sticky right out of the box, but after like 200 cycles it's really starting to soften up. I think I'll be very pleased with the outcome. The adjustments really work increbibly well (as opposed to the Sherman I have)!

    Oh, one question (for Ssinga mainly I guess as he's in the same weight class), am I going to need a high pressure pump as well, presuming I wont use the fork with less than 150 mm of travel? I fiddled with the pressures a bit, and the marzocchi recommended pressures seem pretty darn high...Well, I'll have plenty of time sorting that out..

  12. #12
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Jii
    I got the Behemoth yesterday, it is pretty massive isn't it . Installed it already, but I'll have to switch to the flush lower cup on the weekend, so that it won't be so raked out. It's absolutely not too much as it is, but I'll still try the flush cups..

    The fork was, well, INCREDIBLY sticky right out of the box, but after like 200 cycles it's really starting to soften up. I think I'll be very pleased with the outcome. The adjustments really work increbibly well (as opposed to the Sherman I have)!

    Oh, one question (for Ssinga mainly I guess as he's in the same weight class), am I going to need a high pressure pump as well, presuming I wont use the fork with less than 150 mm of travel? I fiddled with the pressures a bit, and the marzocchi recommended pressures seem pretty darn high...Well, I'll have plenty of time sorting that out..
    Probably not. At 100PSI in the negative I have 5" of stanchion showing.
    Nothing to see here.

  13. #13
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,589
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Probably not. At 100PSI in the negative I have 5" of stanchion showing.
    That's odd, I get 6 inches of stantion showing at 150 psi, and 5 inches at over 200 psi in the negative.
    ****

  14. #14
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Reduce the PAR pressure and dial the compression adj way back during break-in. Stanchion lube helps alot.




    Stanchion Fluoro Oil (Stanchion Lube)

    Stanchion Fluoro Oil is a pure DuPont liquid flouropolymer oil. So slippery it even improves the surface slip of Teflon-coated surfaces! It is a surface treatment that is distinctly different and better than solid fluoropolymers like PTFE / Teflon. Stanchion Fluoro oil will improve the performance and extend the life of fork stanchions, eliminate fork stiction and condition your fork’s rubber seals and o-rings. Can also be used to lubricate Teflon cables, spoke nipples, elastomer suspension systems, and derailleur/brake pivot bolts. Contains no petroleum, no solvents, no silicone, and no fillers!
    Last edited by SSINGA; 02-10-2006 at 01:51 PM.
    Nothing to see here.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steelduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    441
    How sticky have your 66SL:s been when they were not ridden yet. I had to put my whole weight on the handlebar to "wake" it up and it still needs considerable force to get it moving. I am going for the first ride tomorrow.

  16. #16
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,589
    Quote Originally Posted by steelduck
    How sticky have your 66SL:s been when they were not ridden yet. I had to put my whole weight on the handlebar to "wake" it up and it still needs considerable force to get it moving. I am going for the first ride tomorrow.
    Expect it to be like that for quite a while. It will wake up while you are riding.
    ****

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steelduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Expect it to be like that for quite a while. It will wake up while you are riding.
    But it will get supa-smooth, will it? I am used to my 888R whitch I can pump with 2 fingers.

  18. #18
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by steelduck
    But it will get supa-smooth, will it? I am used to my 888R whitch I can pump with 2 fingers.
    Mine is getting there. I'm going to change the oil hopefully this weekend and grease the bushings.

    JNC has recommended 5wt oil for the rebound cart FWIW.
    Nothing to see here.

  19. #19
    Jii
    Jii is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    126
    After last weekends stairgapping sessions in the snowy city, the fork is slowly but surely starting to show its true nature....and I like it! Soooo stiff, and the adjustments really make a difference!

    In true UGI fashion, I picked up a Swinger 3-way shock as a spare. The angles on the joker are just perfect IMO with the flush headset. And it weighs only 16,37 kg/36,09
    lbs, which is surprisingly light for a freeride bike, IMO.

  20. #20
    Time is not a road.
    Reputation: chad1433's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,146
    Nice looking bike! Hope you get some thaw soon. Maybe a nice trip to Mallorca is in the stars...

  21. #21
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Jii
    After last weekends stairgapping sessions in the snowy city, the fork is slowly but surely starting to show its true nature....and I like it! Soooo stiff, and the adjustments really make a difference!

    In true UGI fashion, I picked up a Swinger 3-way shock as a spare. The angles on the joker are just perfect IMO with the flush headset. And it weighs only 16,37 kg/36,09
    lbs, which is surprisingly light for a freeride bike, IMO.
    Looks Good J.
    Nothing to see here.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.