mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. Id Rear Shock Questions

Just built up a 2003 Id with the Romic coil spring. (400# x 2.25)

My question: I need a stiffer spring, I weight 200lbs and with 3 turns on the spring I sag it 1/2 way down the shaft. Ellsworth has a complete Romic shock with a 450# spring for $199.00. Is there a better shock out there for the money? How about for a little bit more money?

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas!

Bob
    Life is not a Spectator Sport....Live it!!

Big Whitey

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I never had any problems with my Romic, i think it's more a question of what will fit if you want another coil shock, don't think the dhx coil will, probably best to ask Ellsworth. BTW going off the spring calculator on mojo.co.uk website you will need a 550 spring, which seems right 'cos my 500 felt right and i weigh about 180.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Spring?

I weigh 240 without gear, 600 lb is sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    I never had any problems with my Romic, i think it's more a question of what will fit if you want another coil shock, don't think the dhx coil will, probably best to ask Ellsworth. BTW going off the spring calculator on mojo.co.uk website you will need a 550 spring, which seems right 'cos my 500 felt right and i weigh about 180.

trail fairy
    550 # is spot on IMO!

Though for a newer shock RP3 is sweet as 2 on the ID 2 x 7.875 same bb height but 2 inches of stroke, course the fork is important in this equation as well!

400lb or 450lb is too light and you'll do the seat tube!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Clownhiller

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    550 # is spot on IMO!

Though for a newer shock RP3 is sweet as 2 on the ID 2 x 7.875 same bb height but 2 inches of stroke, course the fork is important in this equation as well!

400lb or 450lb is too light and you'll do the seat tube!
    Hey Trailadvent! Been meaning to ask.I currently have a romic 7.875 x 2.25. I have just changed out to a 150mm Pace rc41 fighter fork(Oh my lord,how much better than a Talas 125!?).The Axel to race of the Talas is 500mm. The axel to race on the Pace is 525mm,but I do get an extra inch of travel. The head angle is better now with the taller fork.
    If I put a rp3 with 7.5 x 2 its gonna lower the bottom bracket height but make the head angle quite slack right? What travel will a 7.875 x 2 give the Id? The bb stays the same.
    Sorry! If I thought about this a bit more I might be able to explain it better!

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by clownhiller
    If I put a rp3 with 7.5 x 2 its gonna lower the bottom bracket height but make the head angle quite slack right?
    Yes, it'll lower it by about 1/2 inch (-1 degree on the HA).

What travel will a 7.875 x 2 give the Id? The bb stays the same.
    Travel ~5.25"; bb stays the same.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Clownhiller

Smile

Thanks for that Scubapro.Makes things a whole lot clearer,however I dont quite understand what the advantage of the 7.875 x 2 stroke shock would give if the bb stays the same height and you lose a little bit of travel.The head angle doesnt change so in effect if you run a 150mm fork I can see no advantage in having only 5.25" of travel at the back,if bb doesnt change and neither does head angle. Does anyone run this particular setup? Can anyone throw any light on any possible advantages?

I can see my house from......ouch!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for that Scubapro.Makes things a whole lot clearer,however I dont quite understand what the advantage of the 7.875 x 2 stroke shock would give if the bb stays the same height and you lose a little bit of travel.The head angle doesnt change so in effect if you run a 150mm fork I can see no advantage in having only 5.25" of travel at the back,if bb doesnt change and neither does head angle. Does anyone run this particular setup? Can anyone throw any light on any possible advantages?

I can see my house from......ouch!

ADVANTAGE=WEIGHT. The 2" stroke 7.875" shock was the longest stroke 7.875" air shock you could get, up until recently. Now, they are making 7.875x2.25" air shock such as the DHX Air - but that won't fit an ID without hitting the downtube on bottom-out (as my friend's 17" Id has shown - dent in downtube).

If you want to drop weight and keep the XC geometry (steep head angle) while keeping your 125mm of travel at the front (or you like the high bottom bracket), you need a 7.875 x 2" air shock. However, maybe there are some other non-piggyback (or short piggyback) 7.875x2.25 air shocks out now.

I used a 7.875x2" AVA for a year in XC races, and a 7.875x2.25" coil for everything else. Now I have a 7.5"x2" RP3 and use that for everything. I am simply dropping the front end to 100mm in races (TALAS) and leaving it at 125mm for trail riding (slacker head angle). I am finding the RP3 to be a bit too linear though (I suppose it matches the TALAS fork now) - it is bottoming easier than before, so I find I have to put more air in it. I think that the combination of the shifting of weight back because of the geometry changes from the shorter shock + some leverage effects going on in the top linkage, are causing it to be more linear. Someone on here once said that the Id actually has less (wheel) travel when you have a shorter shock (even though the same stroke) due to the leverage effects like i'm mentioning above. I dunno about that though - it there was less wheel:shock travel further into the stroke, you'd think it would be ramping up more than before (which it isn't).

The bike is now much better for XC (lower, better for cornering), but, for the first time, I am feeling like the bike doesn't have enough travel for the rockgardens anymore. I never thought that would happen - I used to think that I went overkill with the 5"+ travel bike. Don't get me wrong, the short RP3 is great for trailriding/downhills/general rough stuff, as the steering is more stable at speed, and your weight is further back. hmmmmm....... maybe i'm just goin faster/harder??

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    One other air shock option is a 7.875x2.25 manitou swinger 3 way. Then you can maintain the 5.9" travel and run a bit less air pressure. I think they ramp up a bit near the end of the stroke depending on SPV pressure. I've got a 3 way coil on my new bighit. If I find I like it, I may get the 3-way air for my ID and drop the 1+lb the romic is adding. I really don't want to lose the plush feel the bike has right now, but I'd love to lighten it up a bit. I really like this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks 4 replies

THANKS to all of you who chimed in with their thoughts on my issue.

MY SOLUTION>>> I ordered the Fox Vanilla R from Ellsworth. After looking into all of the options this seemed to be the most cost effective and simple solution. $249 + 32 shipping and it is customed tuned for the Id.

FOR SALE...anyone want my Romic D with 400 x 2.25 spring? Make me an offer and I will work out a sweet deal for you!
    Life is not a Spectator Sport....Live it!!

Big Whitey

Members who have read this thread: 0