mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Id to Moment riders?

I'm thinking about selling my Med 2001 Id frame and buying a Moment, or worst case doing the trade in thing.

I believe there have been a few people to move from the Id to the Moment.
    Questions:

Are you 100% happy with that decision?

What do you like better about the Moment?

What do you dislike about the Moment vs the Id? ( if anything)

I have the original 2.25" stroke Romic( longer shock), I like the high BB, It climbs and turns great as it is.(2003 ZI Fr fork)

I don't do many drop offs or jumps.

Just trying to decide if there is a good reason to speed the money.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

trail fairy
    If its still running sweet Id stay with it, have spent over a year on both, both great in there own worlds, but if ya aint gonna go bigger I can't see the point IMO only if ya want something new and shiny, the ID is now a classic!

Enjoy
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Redriderpro
    I'm thinking about selling my Med 2001 Id frame and buying a Moment, or worst case doing the trade in thing.

I believe there have been a few people to move from the Id to the Moment.
    Questions:

Are you 100% happy with that decision?

What do you like better about the Moment?

What do you dislike about the Moment vs the Id? ( if anything)

I have the original 2.25" stroke Romic( longer shock), I like the high BB, It climbs and turns great as it is.(2003 ZI Fr fork)

I don't do many drop offs or jumps.

Just trying to decide if there is a good reason to speed the money.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I have moved from an Id to the Moment.
    I am not 100% happy. I'm 1000000000 % happy with my decision.
    What I like better in the Moment - Well, It's geometry is much better. It's a much better balanced bike, it give me lots of confidence descending & on technical stuff.
    It's virtually mistake proof. Gets me out of trouble every time. My riding has improved almost over night since I got this bike.
    On the climbing parts I think it tracks better than the Id. Can't really explain why. I'm also faster on it on XC rides, but I think that has lots to do with my build (RP3 VS Romic)
    There's nothing I dislike about the Moment vs. the Id. Well, maybe except color choices.
    On the bottom line , this bike will make you faster on any ride, down or up, FR or XC. I would reccomend building it up with an air shock - if you need the extra travel use the DHX Air, if 5.25" are enough use the RP3, and save some weight.

banned
    Mar 2005
    OK...but does the cost justify the return...i ride a 2004 Id, strictly XC with no major jumps and probably don't use it to its full potential. I would probably be able to use most of my current components on a new Moment frame, but will still be looking at at a cost of at least 4000 CAD (3400 USD)...so, for the price, will a slight improvement in the ride be worth this kind of investment?

The Id does everything I want it to do, will a Moment make me happier or is it just that the grass is greener at the Moment, and then we look at newer, younger, rides?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    OK...but does the cost justify the return...i ride a 2004 Id, strictly XC with no major jumps and probably don't use it to its full potential. I would probably be able to use most of my current components on a new Moment frame, but will still be looking at at a cost of at least 4000 CAD (3400 USD)...so, for the price, will a slight improvement in the ride be worth this kind of investment?

The Id does everything I want it to do, will a Moment make me happier or is it just that the grass is greener at the Moment, and then we look at newer, younger, rides?

I believe that a worm living in a lemon, doen't know an apple really extits....
    On the Id, I needed to make up for the bike's crappy geometry by being a better rider. Technical stuff was difficult to clear. On the Moment it's the opposite. It makes up for my lack of technical skills. I feel like a better rider. I feel better with myself on evey ride. I don't crash like I used to. I don't get off the bike as often on technical sections. I flow.
    If you don't feel the bike is limiting you in any way, stick with it. I actually felt better on my other riding buddies bikes (hecklers, turners etc...) so that got me thinking. I didn't want to give up the 4 bar, I didn't want to give up the Ellsworth frame looks, so I took a gamble on the Moment. At the time I really thoght it's an overshoot for my needs, and the decision took a long time (mainly because the demo Moment I tried was built up very aggresive). At the end the gamble paid off big time. The Moment is by far the best bike I ever had.

banned
    Mar 2005
    good analogy...perhaps its time to spend a little more of my kid's inheritance

so far, the Ids been a great ride compared to any other bike i have...had a blur for a while, but found that to be clunky compared to the Id, the Trek Liquid and Stumpjumper FSR have noticable peddle bob and the factory forks have no lock-outs for the climbs...our season is almost done, maybe i'll check out the new frames next year (to compare, the lbs still has a 2005 Id frame priced at 3099 CAD (2635 USD), may be worth pricing a Moment and consider selling the old frame, still...i'm lucky to get 80 rides/year up here so the additional cost is still a consideration

thanks again

853+29+1x24=Fun
    How about waiting a bit and looking at an Epiphany?

banned
    Mar 2005
    saw the specs and the Epiphany appears to be an Id with an attitude...the 2004 Id handles like a Ferrari, the Epihany may be less forgiving with that head angle and a longer travel fork (i'm using a 125mm fox, and its quick...maybe too quick)

anyway, its almost time to dust off the skis...lets see what spring brings

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the answers. Just finished talking with Beyond Bikes about what a Moment would be with my Id frame trade in. $ 1600.00 ( 2300 - EW 700 trade)

I just can't imagine a Moment being that much better for my ride style and trails, looks like
    The Id and I will be together fro a while.

* But I'll go ahead and sell my AC project bike and look for somthing else to build up.

Time is not a road.
    You might try a taller fork instead of a new frame. Rich (lidarman) seems to like the Pike with his Id. This may correct some geometry issues the bike has overall.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    good analogy...perhaps its time to spend a little more of my kid's inheritance
    Careful, that analogy can apply to brand names as well, so we are treading on pot-kettle-black territory, with loyaty being that lemon too.

banned
    Mar 2005
    no question there...March is the best time to buy a bike up here, the snow is still on the ground, the new 2006 models are in, and everyone is ready to deal on the 2005 carryover. I have my eye on 2 turners, an intense, and a foes frame that will probably still be here in spring, and my lbs just advised that they have picked up the scott line, including the models that are NA in the U.S. because of the patent dispute.

Mrs. JM needs a FS this year, and if the Id needs a big brother, it can wait 'til spring

BTW...has anyone remarked on the size of the Ellsworth graphics on the new 2006 bikes? I liked the understated, smaller fonts used on the old models...the new ones look like little billboards. I guess the marketing dept. got their way

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The moment is heavier and is slightly less snappy and agile than the id, but i prefer the lower bottom bracket, even with a 7.5 eye to eye shock the id is still taller ( about half an inch if i remember correctly ).
    The moment has larger shock bolts because the id's would bend and need replacing ( this
    is what UK importers told me, although i never bent mine.)
    The chain stays look exactly the same and i know id riders have had cracked ones replaced in the past, so draw your own conclusions there.
    I had an '01 id and the tyre clearance was especially bad and the moment is a lot better on that score.
    I fitted my fox 36's on the id along with a Cali. spec. shock and the bike felt fantastic, i think because it was lighter than the moment.
    I was in your position, bought the moment and have now sold my id, it is definately the better bike for me because of it's geometry, but if your happy with the tyre clearance and you don't need a heavier/stronger frame then i would fit a Cali. shock and run it for a good while longer.But as we all know UGI is hard to resist!
    BTW if any UK id rider wants a free deraillier hanger get in touch and i'll post it to you.
    Last edited by A MAN CALLED HORSE; 10-12-2005 at 06:58 AM.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

banned
    Mar 2005
    i thought of a talas or 36 as well until i saw the price (somehow, it always comes back to money). i am using a vanilla 125rlc, very happy with the performance, especially on quick turns, but looking at the other two, found that both are priced @ around 1500 CAD

so...plan now is to run the current components into the ground and replace as needed. The Id is a remarkable bike for me...it fits like a glove and we appear to share a brain. I think its then best to get something a little bigger as i get into more challenging rides (looked at a banshee, foes fly, and others)...lets see what comes up in the spring

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    The chain stays look exactly the same and i know id riders have had cracked ones replaced in the past, so draw your own conclusions there.
    New Moments will have the new asym chainstay which should be stiffer and less likely to crack--and on the Moment, the tire clearance is really good.

https://forums.mtbr.com/ellsworth/id-2-3-chainstay-upgrade-134447.html

Members who have read this thread: 0