mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New question here. ID or 5 SPOT????

Hey Folks,

Can't decide between id and 5 spot. I ride technical and aggressive xc trails (lots of rocks, log piles, roots, mud and snow) and prefer to climb. Not crazy about monster down hills, but want improved descending capabilities. I am around 5' 6" and weigh 150lbs. Your advice would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!!!!!

Anytime. Anywhere.

ID vs 5 Spot

First off I have a 5 Spot and just came back from a ride like you describe - the rocks. I have been through many rock gardens and just about any kind of trail condition you can think off. It handles everything extremely well and I can't imagine it getting any better than what I ride. The Spot climbs very well and will get you up anything you have the legs for.

I think a better comparison would be 5 Spot vs Epiphany. The Epiphany is a little lighter from what I've read here and as long as the geometry is dialed it should be a good choice. At 150 you can get away with a pretty light bike for those climbs you like.

5 Spot would be cheaper. Another thing is that for 06 the Spot loses the Horst Link. Down in the Turner forum the guys who have been on HL and non HL's say the loss does not hurt the ride at all. I have always been a HL fan and was disapointed at it's demise but then I have an 03 with no plans to replace it.

I always thought thought the ID had quirky geometry and little standover but then I have never been on one so I don't really know. I'm sure some ID owners can give there opinions here.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Agreed !!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    First off I have a 5 Spot and just came back from a ride like you describe - the rocks. I have been through many rock gardens and just about any kind of trail condition you can think off. It handles everything extremely well and I can't imagine it getting any better than what I ride. The Spot climbs very well and will get you up anything you have the legs for.

I think a better comparison would be 5 Spot vs Epiphany. The Epiphany is a little lighter from what I've read here and as long as the geometry is dialed it should be a good choice. At 150 you can get away with a pretty light bike for those climbs you like.

5 Spot would be cheaper. Another thing is that for 06 the Spot loses the Horst Link. Down in the Turner forum the guys who have been on HL and non HL's say the loss does not hurt the ride at all. I have always been a HL fan and was disapointed at it's demise but then I have an 03 with no plans to replace it.

I always thought thought the ID had quirky geometry and little standover but then I have never been on one so I don't really know. I'm sure some ID owners can give there opinions here.
    I had a ID . Now, on a 5 Spot. The 5 spot lives up to the hype. I am very pleased. The ID was very different. It gives you the feeling of being up very high. Very high BB.Look at Moment , Epiphany or 5 Spot. They give you a lower center of gravity.

If going for 5 Spot . Jump now. I would prefer the HL. Never tried the new frame. Get the RP3 as well the Fox DHX air is a pain to set up.

Good Luck !! You can't go wrong.

trail fairy
    deathonwheels I'm not gonna get into this one as its been done to death, The ID is no more!
    Pity IMO! Do a search on the board.There are many opinions and like the wind depends on which way it blowing!

If you are looking at second hand check both of em out first, carefully inspect the owner and the bike!

@ 150 lb you'd be sweet on these machines, as to ride characteristics setup plays an enormous part and is as critical as the frame type IMO!

I'd also lean towards the RP3 and choose your fork wisely as it will determine your versatility for all round trail riding (not freeriding).

The best advice is to ride either with an air shock so you can set it correctly for your weight and ride style only then could you decide what would be best for you!

5 spot - is a safe bet if you need forgiveness and a sound frame that won't let ya down, sorta like a Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan!

ID - if you want a technical ride that gets better the more you push it the ID will deliver but its not for the faint hearted it will catch ya out if ya can't handle her, she requires a delicate hand treated right shell keep ya smiling, just like a firery sexy hot woman, more Penelope Cruz, Eva Mendes, Eva Longoria ya get my drift.

Good luck
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Trail rider and racer
    I don't own either but I ride an Ellsworth but get the 5 Spot.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had an Id and have moved on to a Moment, the Id needs a tall fork to balance the bike and has limited tyre clearance- it served me well and i have fond memories of it but i say if you don't want a tall fork get the 5 Spot.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Has been discussed many times, but don't ignore the benefits of a higher bb on the Id. You mention rocks, log piles in your riding. Here in the northeast, everytime I clear a high obstacle, I can't help but think how much that feature is a plus. RP3 is a must IMO. The Id's geometry is a bit different, but if it suits your riding style and terrain, it is the perfect bike. There is a thin line between the Id being perfect for you, or not right at all. No in between.

Brass Nipples!
    First of all the Id is not in production any more, as others have mentioned. The Id is the ticket if you need maximum ground clearance, but it seems to have filled more of a specialty niche than the 5 Spot.

I'd say you should consider a 5 Spot and a Moment as the more comparable bikes. Both are killer trailbikes and the Moment will be a bit heavier but a tad more capable with a similar build. You can get around 5 inches of travel with a 2 inch stroke shock or 6 inches of travel with a 2.25 inch stroke with the Moment. Both bikes climb very well. If you're looking for incredible light weight, consider the Epiphany, for the most capable bike in freeride situations look at the 6 Pack, but the 5 Spot and Moment are near the sweet spot for most "all mountain" or "trailbike" or light duty "freeride" type riding.

The Id's weak spot seems to be the chainstays. They've been redesigned and should be stronger. 5 Spots are known to break in the seat tube. Turner's customer service has always been stellar, Ellsworth's CS seems great lately, but there were problems in the past.

Lastly Ellswoth bikes still have the chainstay pivot and the 06 Turner bikes have moved the pivot to the seatstay. Look at the Horst v. TNT type discussions on the Turner board to see if this is important to you.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    At 5' 6" the stand over clearance of the frame may be an issue for you. Like someone mentioned earlier, the id is tall and clearance is not that great. You can't rely completely on the published specs for stand over height. When I was shopping around I ruled out Turners because the stand over just wouldn't work for me based on what was published. Later, when I had the chance to play with the Flux and 5-Spot, I actually found Turner's stand over to be lower than Ellsworth's for the given size.

So it's something to consider if generous stand over height is important to you. I was really concerned with that until I was advised by my LBS owner (who is about my height 5' 7") that guys our height pretty much have to toss proper stand over out the window and go with the bike geometry that feels right when on the saddle. I was also told the lack of stand over may feel uncomfortable when the bike is straddled but it typically does not come into play in a fall because the bike will be at a slant. I can agree with that, in all the falls I've taken over the years I've never been hit by the top tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deathonwheels
    Hey Folks,
    Can't decide between id and 5 spot. I ride technical and aggressive xc trails (lots of rocks, log piles, roots, mud and snow) and prefer to climb. Not crazy about monster down hills, but want improved descending capabilities. I am around 5' 6" and weigh 150lbs. Your advice would be appreciated.
    THANKS!!!!!!!
    I'm a pretty technical rider, and my experience has been that when you're in the rough stuff, a more stable handling bike is more likely to get you through. With the high BB and steep head angle, the Ellsworth wouldn't be my choice for technical riding over the 5-spot, as it's going to be a bike you have to stay on top of more. This is all subjective, however, it might work for you. But at 5' 6" I wouldn't be too nuts about the high BB on the ID. Some people like a high BB for technical riding, but I prefer to sit more in the bike than on it, so the Spot fits how I ride better. As always, handling is subjective...

It's probably not as much of a factor for you at 150lbs, but the 5-spot is built a little sturdier, so it also flexes less in the rough stuff. At 225lbs this is a big deal for me, but take it in context to your needs.

James

The Ancient One

California Id

Everyone seems to have forgotten the Cali. version of the Id, with a 7.5 eye to eye shock.

The complaints have all been about high BB and too steep head angle. Well my Cali. Id has a 13.75" high BB, which is reasonable, and about a 69 degree HA, which feels just right for the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by deathonwheels
    Hey Folks,

THANKS!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the all the input! I decided to go for the ID as I got a good deal on limited edition custom painted frame, ells tuned romic with ti spring and all for less than turner 5 spot. I really wanted the turner, but learned that they no longer had 2005 in stock (didn't want to buy frame unless purchased through my LBS) and didn't want to gamble with TNT although I have read all of the positive feedback on the turner board. I may eventually switch out romic for rp3 down the line. I will post feedback once I tune this sucker in and get some ride time. Thanks again for all of the info!

Members who have read this thread: 0