5 x 5

I have an Epiphany waiting for me at my LBS...

... and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it. My LBS has offered me an excellent price. The frame would be replacing a Moment (which would then be offered for sale... probably...!). I've come to love my Moment but can't help but think that for 95% of the riding I do it's overkill, and that a 5" travel bike weighing 2 pounds less, with quicker steering, would be ideal. Honestly, my Moment rides so well I'm not sure it could be improved, EXCEPT by lighter weight. A geometry change might just be a change for the worse.

Thoughts?

I need riding impressions!
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I came from a lighter XC bike before my Moment. My Moment is 2.5 pounds heavier than my XC...but I cannot feel the diff. Maybe if I was racing and not 220 pounds I would care about weight. For anything but race, I don't know that it matters. The Moment is a sweet bike!

Time is not a road.
    Any chance you might be doing some shuttle runs in the summer?

I admit that my new Moment is significantly "different" than my Isis and the weight is a factor. There are times when climbing when I wish I had that lighter frame again. But the reason that I traded was because my riding was becoming more aggressive than its 4" suspension could handle. With this new frame, I see some shuttles in my future!

Honestly, it'd be nice to have both frames for different rides...Who can afford that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Any chance you might be doing some shuttle runs in the summer?

I admit that my new Moment is significantly "different" than my Isis and the weight is a factor. There are times when climbing when I wish I had that lighter frame again. But the reason that I traded was because my riding was becoming more aggressive than its 4" suspension could handle. With this new frame, I see some shuttles in my future!

Honestly, it'd be nice to have both frames for different rides...Who can afford that?
    Hey Chad - Lets see less typing & more picture taking
    We want to see pics of your grey and pink bling bling machine!!

Time is not a road.
    I know, I'm slacking. I got her out for a nice snow/mud ride on Sat and cleaned her up real good. I'll take some static shots tonight. Maybe tomorrow or Wed.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMountainHop
    ... and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it. My LBS has offered me an excellent price. The frame would be replacing a Moment (which would then be offered for sale... probably...!). I've come to love my Moment but can't help but think that for 95% of the riding I do it's overkill, and that a 5" travel bike weighing 2 pounds less, with quicker steering, would be ideal. Honestly, my Moment rides so well I'm not sure it could be improved, EXCEPT by lighter weight. A geometry change might just be a change for the worse.

Thoughts?

I need riding impressions!
    I'm in the same boat. I've had my Moment since 7/04 and I love it. I came from a Santa Cruz Superlight. The extra weight doesn't bother me much. It actual is better on very technical climbs, but on the fire roads I have a hellva time keeping up with the singlespeeders. So a lighter bike would help. Depending on wheels, it's 29-31 lbs. The area that I feel needs to be improved, for my type of trail riding, is the steering. I want something quicker for tight singletrack (NE PA). The Moment is like driving a bus thru the woods sometimes. So the Epi, with a shorter WB and a steeper HT angle looks perfect for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0