Leash Law Enforcer

I Had One In My Hands

An Epiphany that is! Gorgeous frame and super light. I couldn't believe how light it was. I didn't put it on a scale but it felt like it weighed just about the same as my 2000 Truth. The mag rockers are beautiful. I can't wait to hear some of the ride reports on this frame.

Time is not a road.
    How much of that do you think is saved by using Mg rockers? When will they make them for the rest of us as an "upgrade"????

What particular properties does Mg exhibit as opposed to Al to make it more appealing? Any metallurgists out there?

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    An Epiphany that is! Gorgeous frame and super light. I couldn't believe how light it was. I didn't put it on a scale but it felt like it weighed just about the same as my 2000 Truth. The mag rockers are beautiful. I can't wait to hear some of the ride reports on this frame.
    I had one between my legs last night...

Yep, last night I just recieved my all-black Epiphany and took it out for a quick test ride. I can tell you this, it feels and rides much lighter than my Litespeed Ti hardtail, it climbs better, decends better, and looks better. One minus point for all the seatpost that is showing on my set up though (i went with the medium - the large top tube is just TOO LONG for my style of riding-what is with their top tubes??).

I'm 6 ft. with 34-35" inseam and the bike fits fine (Thomson set back 410mm post & thomson 110 10deg. stem). I will have to sit down and read the manuals to figure out how to adjust my RP3 & Revelation, but so far it feels just about perfect. Oh yeah, one more minus point for my Poplock breaking withing the 1st hour (metal bracket which holds it to the bar snapped). I think I better go buy a torque wrench tonight.

Oh yeah, it looks like I'm not getting the full 5" out of my Revelation, anyone else having this issue? Maybe its break-in or set-up related??

Sorry, no pics to show today, i was up late and didn't have time to download any, will try tonight.

And, for those of you still grumbling over the loss of shoot-peen, have no worries, the new black ano is SICK looking!

-EPI Pusher (with a little less pain)

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    How much of that do you think is saved by using Mg rockers?
    It's hard to say. I will say that I also held a Moment frame immediately after holding the Epiphany and there is a huge difference in weight. I don't know if that is attributable to larger AL rockers or not.

I agree with PainPusher though, the new ano is pretty sick!

Time is not a road.

Could there be a Mg or Sc mtb frame in the future?

Seems like now with this in-house manufacturing, Ellsworth is positioning itself to create different frames of varying materials. Could there be a Scandium Truth in the future? Why not a Magnesium Enlightenment? And how long will it be before the Carbon bug bites?

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Seems like now with this in-house manufacturing, Ellsworth is positioning itself to create different frames of varying materials. Could there be a Scandium Truth in the future? Why not a Magnesium Enlightenment? And how long will it be before the Carbon bug bites?

What do you think?
    Ellsworth, please avoid the carbon craze:

Don't get me wrong, I love carbon - I have a road bike that I have built up all carbon, but whenever any carbon touches my mt. bikes, it immedialty breaks. I know, many times it's my fault, over tightening, or crashing into trees, rocks, other bikers, - but none-the-less i just prefer "metal" mt. bikes, less to worry about. I got caught up in the Monkey Lite excitement, and got one on my EPI...I already scored it last night while trying to adjust my brakes & poplock! UGHHH. From what I have read, you shouldn't ride a scored carbon handelbar, so now I have that to worry about. I think i'll chance it for little while, sick of spending $ rigth now. Again, my fault, but just a royal pain in the ass.

Carbon broken:
    Gary Fisher Pro Caliber LTD. (OCLV) Frame
    2 Seatposts
    3 sets of bar ends
    1 handlebar (almost)

Now with that said, bring on the new alloys!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    From what I have read, you shouldn't ride a scored carbon handelbar, so now I have that to worry about. I think i'll chance it for little while, sick of spending $ rigth now.
    Riding a weaken carbon bar is risky business. Easton has a good warranty on their carbon products and they will inspect your bar for free if you send it back to them.

The Path bikeshop assembled my friend's bike and they took the pain to round out all square edges on the brake/shifter/Lockon collar/stem clamps because he spec'd a carbon bar. I thought that was a great idea and terrific service.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    I'm 6 ft. with 34-35" inseam and the bike fits fine (Thomson set back 410mm post & thomson 110 10deg. stem). I will have to sit down and read the manuals to figure out how to adjust my RP3 & Revelation, but so far it feels just about perfect. Oh yeah, one more minus point for my Poplock breaking withing the 1st hour (metal bracket which holds it to the bar snapped). I think I better go buy a torque wrench tonight.

Oh yeah, it looks like I'm not getting the full 5" out of my Revelation, anyone else having this issue? Maybe its break-in or set-up related??

-EPI Pusher (with a little less pain)
    I had a Reba last year and opted for the SL model. The PopLoc and external Motion Control adjustments weren't worth the extra money in my mind. The compression adjuster is blue and you can see it in the pic. I think you'll need a new part, unless they integrated the PopLoc to be compatible with the remote:

I never quite got full travel out of my Reba, but I got really close. It may have been oil levels. I didn't adjust those. I have a new AM1 and I have gotten full travel out of it in only two rides. You may have to tweak the pressures a bit to find the sweet spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brass Nipples!

How about the green ones?

Do they feel light, too?

I was told at interbike that the rockers are only part of the weight savings. They had a separate rocker assembly you could hold and boy was that thing light! The tubing is lighter, too. I also think there is less gusseting, but I may not be remembering that right.

The Epiphany, the Moment and the Rogue have some overlap, but in my mind they have pretty different personalities and intended uses. The hard part is going to be deciding which bike to get.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    Do they feel light, too?

I was told at interbike that the rockers are only part of the weight savings. They had a separate rocker assembly you could hold and boy was that thing light! The tubing is lighter, too. I also think there is less gusseting, but I may not be remembering that right.

The Epiphany, the Moment and the Rogue have some overlap, but in my mind they have pretty different personalities and intended uses. The hard part is going to be deciding which bike to get.
    Actually, the one I held was a green one. And it was light. It was a hot looking frame. It was a dark green. The Mg rockers look really cool. They are not silver like the Al ones. They are more of a cream soda color.

There must be more weight savings than just that in the rocker arms. I don't recall seeing any HT gusseting and I think the tubing Ells is using is their own proprietary tubing.

I agree, the Epi, Moment and Rogue all have differently personalities. I have no doubt that the Epi will be a very popular frame. The craftsmanship, weight and travel will make it an ideal frame for many people. My only concern is how much abuse it can take. I am sure that Ells has thoroughly thought this through. However, people may feel that with 5" they can do stupid things with it. I am sure it will be able to handle a lot of abuse, the question is how much. No frame is invincible. I think it will really find its niche as a longer travel XC frame that shines in technical conditions.

Regardless, I think the Epi is going to be one sweet ride. I think it will probably climb as good as the Truth and descend with a little more confidence and less thought due to a slightly slacker HTA.

Members who have read this thread: 0