MountainGoat aka OldGoat

New question here. How much sag on the Epiphany?

I have never had a bike that uses sag. I went on the Ellsworth web site but was unable to locate the manufactures recommendations. I also am unsure on how to factor in the sag when I set my saddle height.
    I am sorry for the elementary post, but any help you can give is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Sag...

Well, sag is usually messured as a percentage of total piston travel on the shock. Usually one would look it up in the shock manufacturer's web-site. It is an issue of your weight and riding style.

Rear SAG:
    For the RP3 it was recommended anywhere from %20 to %35, depending on your riding style.Most people I know use %25 sag... Now I've read that for xc less sag is better for pedaling (now this might not really apply for our ICT...).

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/index.htm

I find that pedaling I use more rear travel than when I do downhill, I guess it is a weight transfer issue. So I setup my epi with %30 sag.... (I weigh 220#+)

Front Sag:
    Here I've been told to do the same as the rear. I actually use less sag (%25). I use the TALAS to shorten the travel on long ascents.

Now my numbers are still in test mode! I've only been riding the bike for 3 weeks (7 rides or so). I've found that with more travel I have more options on how to tune for an specific trail...

Hope this helps, I would like to see what others do/think....

___________o
    ------- _`\<,_ ~~ It is better to have done ~~
    ------ (*)/ (*) ~~ too much than not enough. ~~

mtbr member
    I'm personally running 20% sag...I would like to increase it a little to soak up some of the smaller rocks but this thing is just soooo dam fast at 20%, softer riding will have to wait a little while longer. Like stated above, the sag instructions are in your shock manual that SHOULD have come with your bike...???
    Hydrate or Die Trying

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by hangfire
    Well, sag is usually messured as a percentage of total piston travel on the shock. Usually one would look it up in the shock manufacturer's web-site. It is an issue of your weight and riding style.

Rear SAG:
    For the RP3 it was recommended anywhere from %20 to %35, depending on your riding style.Most people I know use %25 sag... Now I've read that for xc less sag is better for pedaling (now this might not really apply for our ICT...).

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/index.htm

I find that pedaling I use more rear travel than when I do downhill, I guess it is a weight transfer issue. So I setup my epi with %30 sag.... (I weigh 220#+)

Front Sag:
    Here I've been told to do the same as the rear. I actually use less sag (%25). I use the TALAS to shorten the travel on long ascents.

Now my numbers are still in test mode! I've only been riding the bike for 3 weeks (7 rides or so). I've found that with more travel I have more options on how to tune for an specific trail...

Hope this helps, I would like to see what others do/think....
    What's your overall impression of the bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

impressions

Quote Originally Posted by aizu1
    What's your overall impression of the bike?
    Lookup the thread 'Proud owner of new Epiphany', you'll find pics & impressions...

___________o
    ------- _`\<,_ ~~ It is better to have done ~~
    ------ (*)/ (*) ~~ too much than not enough. ~~

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You can find the sag setup information in the 2005 owners manual pdf file in Ellsworth's FAQ section. Look down the left column. It's basically the same as what everyone are saying above.

http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/help/faq.cfm#

Members who have read this thread: 0