mtbr member
    May 2004

How come no more Ids??

What's the deal here?? Were too many of them breaking and going back for warranty??
    The new Epiphany sounds a lot like an Id with a shorter I2I shock..
    Is it worth upgrading / crossgrading from an Id to an Epiphany??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    IMO, there was some 'bad buzz' around the Id. (How many times do we have to hear about the high bottom bracket already?) Also, Ids were breaking, not a lot but enough to hear about on this board. There have been many threads on what the Id's intended use was, and if it was mis-represented. In any case, I think Ellsworth wanted to change the name to leave all that behind. I will not trade my Id for the Epiphany b/c the bottom bracket is awesome for me, the anodized finish is great, and the weight differential is minimum....

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn
    What's the deal here?? Were too many of them breaking and going back for warranty??
    The new Epiphany sounds a lot like an Id with a shorter I2I shock..
    Is it worth upgrading / crossgrading from an Id to an Epiphany??
    As I said before and I'll say it again: the Epiphany is pretty much the Id renamed. Sure it has been redesigned but if you look at the specs it has a 70 degree HA and 73.5 SA. That's definitely an Id with a lower BB height. As far as upgrading, well I would wait another year or so until they figure out all the bugs with the new design.

The key word here is "Marketing". There's been some bad press about the Id's BB height and chainstay breaking so the best way to get rid of the associated negative press on the Id was to rename it. Good business move, I must say. But ya ain't fooling me.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 10-20-2005 at 09:56 AM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

trail fairy
    I love my ID, it rewards the technical skilled rider and punishes the weak!

High BB, great I love it personally,

Goooooo the Epiphany!! but your'e not a Jedi yet!!

So the ID will remain with me for awhile yet!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Id For Me

Just Bought One A Couple Weeks Ago And I Love It. I Don't Mind The High Bb And As A Matter Of Fact I Prefer It - I Can Sail Over Those Log Piles And Obtacles Without Bashing Any Teeth. And Climbing Is Sweet Too!!

Leash Law Enforcer

Can you say 5 Spot?

My guess is that Turner is/was selling a gang more 5 Spots than Ells was selling Ids. What's the logical choice for Ells? Make something more competitive in that category and chase the competition out (TNT v. HL). Even with a few geometrical differences the Epiphany looks a lot like a 5 Spot. Standover clearance was another big complaint with the ID and Ells seems to have solved this with the Epiphany's sloping top tube (much like the 5 Spot). Just my .02. Remember, this is a business boys!

"Its All Good"
    Pinch, it must also be business that Turner changed the link position, it has gone a little quite on the Turner Homer front re that topic.

All in all, I love the ID, love the high BB. It is deffiantly a bike that needs more tech skills than a 5 Spot. And I do like the 5 Spot, very forgiving all round, but do prefer the ID.

Settle up, am not knocking the 5 Spot, just prefer the ID. The low BB on the 5 Spot really urks me in our riding terrain here in New Zealand, need to get over logs and roots etc
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    All in all, I love the ID, love the high BB. It is deffiantly a bike that needs more tech skills than a 5 Spot. And I do like the 5 Spot, very forgiving all round, but do prefer the ID.

Settle up, am not knocking the 5 Spot, just prefer the ID. The low BB on the 5 Spot really urks me in our riding terrain here in New Zealand, need to get over logs and roots etc
    The Id sure climbs better than the Spot, hands down. But the Spot definitely descends way better that the Id. Just preference and terrain, really. For Southern California, the Spot definitely works best, IMHO. I'm sure if we had more logs and big roots I’d probably prefer the Id. The high BB just makes me feel like I’m about to have an OTB experience going fast down steep-rocky-loose terrain; although I really like the Id’s high BB on climbs. The rear suspension of the Spot also feels plusher than the Id with the same shock, of course. For all around SoCal trail riding I much prefer the Spot over the Id.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 12-02-2005 at 09:07 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Pinch, it must also be business that Turner changed the link position
    Couldn't agree with you more.

Members who have read this thread: 0