mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Hope Seat Collar Limits Moment Travel

I noticed there are quite a few Moments on the board spec'd with the Hope QR seat collar. I came to realized there some limitations with this seat collar when combined with the Moment.

It's been mentioned before that you need to position the collar such that the closed lever protrudes towards the front. This is necessary to avoid hitting the carbon crossbar on the rocker with the QR lever when the rear suspension is fully compressed.

With that said, I just discovered over the weekend that doesn't quite work either. I was practicing on a 2 feet to flat drop and I was bottoming out the suspension (AM1 front, DHX Air rear). I looked at the o-ring on the DHX and it still has close to 1/4 inch left so I thought the fork was bottoming out. It turned out that I was hitting the seat collar bolt on the carbon crossbar! I put a small indentation on the carbon but I think it's ok.

I had the collar bolt facing the back and the lever sticking out toward the front but the collar bolt/pivot still sticks out far enough to hit the crossbar. I turned it around so now the thinner part of the collar faces the back but I have to position the lever vertically or horizontally towards the front in order to avoid the crossbar. Either way it looks funny and I would hate to catch my shorts on it.

That's the best solution I can come up with at the moment. I may have to find a different collar that works better with the Moment's design. I guess I should crank up the bottom-out adjustment on the DHX as well but adjusting it to the point where the collar won't hit the crossbar will probably affect the ride and not to mention I would lose nearly 1/4 inch stroke on the DHX. I have the small Moment. Is this a problem on the larger frames?

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    I have the small Moment. Is this a problem on the larger frames?
    I bet it's only a problem for us "short" guys. Good to know, though, as I was going to get a Hope seat collar for mine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I bet it's only a problem for us "short" guys. Good to know, though, as I was going to get a Hope seat collar for mine.
    It may very well be on just the small Moment. I imagine it's the same rocker in all of the sizes but in the larger sizes the seat collar should be situated higher and probably goes behind the carbon crossbar when the rocker is fully compressed. Does that mean with the larger sizes the crossbar would bang againt the seat tube? Perhaps the rocker is stopped-out by the shock stroke before that happens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is how I did with mine (small Moment). Dangerously close. I'm looking for a better solution as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by skyfish; 01-23-2006 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfish
    This is how I did with mine (small Moment). Dangerously close. I'm looking for a better solution as well.
    LOL! That's one position I haven't thought of. You may get a little bit more clearance if you flip the lever to the opposite side.

I have to see if the Salsa Flip Off fares better. I used to run that on my Truth but its lever action is not as smooth as the Hope.

Amphibious Technologies

Rotate lever not the collar

Why don't you turn the collar around (lever protrudes toward the rear when closed, bolt/pivot toward the front) and just rotate the lever up and away from the rocker. The advantage of using Hope is that the lever rotates freely around an axis (its bolt).
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 01-23-2006 at 09:31 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Why don't you turn the collar around (lever protrudes toward the rear when closed, bolt/pivot toward the front) and just rotate the lever up and away from the rocker. The advantage of using Hope is that the lever rotates freely around an axis (its bolt).
    What a simple solution! Works great and looks pretty good too. One of those simple things where you say "why didn't I think of that???"

I compressed the shock completely and the lever does not touch the carbon cross memeber when I rotated the lever slightly up.

This is how it looks from the side. Rotate the lever up until the letter "P" is above the edge of the collar. Even if it's not rotated high enough it would not be difficult for the rocker to force the lever up without getting damaged.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    That does work (look) better. Thanks.

And I thought I need to wash my bike, but changed mind after seeing ahimanic's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfish
    And I thought I need to wash my bike, but changed mind after seeing ahimanic's.
    What?! What are you gona tell me next, I need to clean up the clutter in my garage??? No chance buddy

Members who have read this thread: 0